Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP

Unread 12-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone
Default POI Types & Confusion

This post originally started as a reply to the following, but expanded so I decided to make it it's own thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm9 View Post
I think we should wait how SOE will implement the POI filtering. Depending on their solution it may make more sense to simply put "discovery XP" or something like that in the POI description (some have that already anyway, you can search for it) and hopefully the filtering will show only the search results.

Otherwise we may think of adding a new POI type, but the problem is that many discovery locs are also quest update locs and then you can discuss which is the correct type to choose (we already have this issue with Named mobs, some people now enter them as quest updates, which of course many of them are).

Drago I'll already note you as volunteer to update all the POIs one way or another. We could use some POI mods anyway to weed out the many dupes or otherwise bad POIs.
Amen, GM9. I see so very many POIs that are miscategorized, duplicates, or just plain don't belong. I try to whack them as I find them, but the current system is somewhat... cumbersome to fix a POI. It takes 3 form submissions to finally mark it bad once you're at it's page (which takes another form submission of the number). Have to change multiple things? 3 more submissions per thing. But anyway, you could consider me a volunteer to help update POIs as well.

Also, out of curiosity: Is there an "official" posted policy for random "!" spawns and other POI types? I can see the page icon for specific ones (like those used in the 3 RoK language books) but for random collection !'s they just clutter up the map to me. I see on the POI submission/update that it says only Fixed location ones, but there are still plenty of random ones as well

I think that is one major source of confusion. What are the guidelines to choose whether to use one icon type or another, now that there are so many types. What's the difference between a "Door" and a "Zone" type? And I assume "Overland" is supposed to be EQ1-style zonings (i.e. location activated zonings, not clicks) and yet I see them used plenty of places where you have to physically click. Users submitting POIs are given a huge list to choose from, and with only short (sometimes unclear) guidelines for when to use each it's not surprising to me that so many are inconsistently labeled. Do keep in mind this isn't a rant against you folks that work on EQ2MAP, just a suggestion for improvement. You can even consider that me volunteering to help out if you'd like me to help =).

Some examples of possible simplification would be... Change the green/red doors to be "Zone" and "Instance" respectively. Thus any Green door would correspond to a click-to-zone (i.e. the gates into NQ from Antonica, for example) while any Red door would be a zone in to an instance (heroic OR raid, just so long as it is an instanced zone). Another one is the bevy of quest start/update options... which become an issue for NPCs that both offer and update quests. I think the descriptions for those are pretty well done, but I think there might be a more simpler way if the submit page defaulted to a simpler one that asked questions to determine the type.

What I mean by that, is it would first ask you what you are submitting: An NPC, a clickable object, a Zone, etc. And then based on that it would ask another question (done via some pretty simple Javascript) until it determines the exact POI type for the user. That would have the benefit of not requiring so many pageloads to submit one POI Keep the old method, and perhaps give logged-in users an option to use the advanced (current). I could probably whip up a demonstration of what I mean this weekend on my personal site.

Let me know your thoughts on that, folks. I willing to back my suggestions with code, and discuss this stuff further =)
Unread 12-09-2008, 12:45 AM
EQ2MAP Developer
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Splitpaw

I think we can make you a Moderator lordebon, but i need to talk to eq2map team first

About the zone types im not sure my self, 90% of the types are from SOE as we import them.
But your right , we need to define when to use what type.
And a inprovment to the type descritions is needed to :P
Unread 12-09-2008, 02:01 AM
A man among men

Server: Nagafen
Send a message via AIM to dragowulf Send a message via MSN to dragowulf

Great suggestions. We need more diversity with the POIs to differentiate between one another.

Let me know if you need an extra hand with anything.
Unread 12-09-2008, 11:05 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordebon View Post
the current system is somewhat... cumbersome to fix a POI.
I'll agree on that. It's easier to do if you are a mod though. If you have suggestions on how to improve this jnils and I can take a look to make it better. All that takes time though. Ideally I'd have the whole process done with a dynamically updating page ajax style.

Quote:
Also, out of curiosity: Is there an "official" posted policy for random "!" spawns and other POI types?
I see on the POI submission/update that it says only Fixed location ones, but there are still plenty of random ones as well
Yeah we don't want them, but people will still post them thinking they are fixed location, or just not paying attention.

Quote:
I think that is one major source of confusion. What are the guidelines to choose whether to use one icon type or another, now that there are so many types.
Common sense mostly, but we can try to make the names on the site more, well, descriptive.

Quote:
What's the difference between a "Door" and a "Zone" type?
Actually I thought that ZONE was a deprecated type, i.e. users cannot select it. But you are right they can. I think we should change that, we don't need more than one type for this. I'll discuss with jnils.

As jnils mentioned we import SOE's POIs and the problem is there is no apparent difference between the door and zone. SOE's instace zone-in POIs come as both "door" and "zone" types. We haven't yet figured out any pattern to this distinction.

Quote:
Some examples of possible simplification would be... Change the green/red doors to be "Zone" and "Instance" respectively.
For the reason mentioned above the "official" POIs are problematic in this respect. But does the distinction really matter? If you think it does your system is good though.

Quote:
Another one is the bevy of quest start/update options... which become an issue for NPCs that both offer and update quests.
multitype POIs are a real issue, I'm more and more starting to think that we need to allow users to assign multiple types to a POI.

Quote:
I think the descriptions for those are pretty well done, but I think there might be a more simpler way if the submit page defaulted to a simpler one that asked questions to determine the type.
I like that, but probably only as an option. Experienced users may prefer the dropdown since it will be faster for them.

Quote:
I could probably whip up a demonstration of what I mean this weekend on my personal site.

Let me know your thoughts on that, folks. I willing to back my suggestions with code, and discuss this stuff further =)
Sounds great, thanks. I think we'll have to discuss not only to make you a mod but also to let you work on the frontend. Keep in mind that the pages should still work from the ingame browser though.

Last edited by gm9 : 12-09-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Unread 12-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Quote:
I'll agree on that. It's easier to do if you are a mod though. If you have suggestions on how to improve this jnils and I can take a look to make it better. All that takes time though. Ideally I'd have the whole process done with a dynamically updating page ajax style.
Agreed on the Ajax-y version. From what I've seen (and from my knowledge of HTML/PHP) there is no reason that it should take that many page loads before it finally submits to a database.

Quote:
Common sense mostly, but we can try to make the names on the site more, well, descriptive.
Agreed that most are common sense, with some exceptions...

Quote:
Actually I thought that ZONE was a deprecated type, i.e. users cannot select it. But you are right they can. I think we should change that, we don't need more than one type for this. I'll discuss with jnils.
... like the many types of Zones.

Quote:
As jnils mentioned we import SOE's POIs and the problem is there is no apparent difference between the door and zone. SOE's instace zone-in POIs come as both "door" and "zone" types. We haven't yet figured out any pattern to this distinction.
Agreed.

Quote:
For the reason mentioned above the "official" POIs are problematic in this respect. But does the distinction really matter? If you think it does your system is good though.
Agreed again, although I think it would first take SOE to make the distinction, otherwise it would add confusion between EQ2MAP / non-EQ2MAP.

Quote:
multitype POIs are a real issue, I'm more and more starting to think that we need to allow users to assign multiple types to a POI.
Agreed again there. One thing that comes to mind for that are the two sets of quest icons -- The difference between offers/updates a quest for placed items makes some sense, but "Gives quest" and "Updates quest" for NPCs is almost splitting hairs to me.

Quote:
I like that, but probably only as an option. Experienced users may prefer the dropdown since it will be faster for them.
Agreed again. I was thinking to have it as a default for new users, but have a simple option to set to always use the advanced (dropdown) menu.

Quote:
Sounds great, thanks. I think we'll have to discuss not only to make you a mod but also to let you work on the frontend. Keep in mind that the pages should still work from the ingame browser though.
Sounds good to me =). And from what I've seen, the ingame browser should have no issues with a little bit of Javascript, but I would certainly test it there
Unread 12-10-2008, 12:39 AM
EQ2MAP Developer

Quote:
Agreed on the Ajax-y version. From what I've seen (and from my knowledge of HTML/PHP) there is no reason that it should take that many page loads before it finally submits to a database.
I don't think its to many steps as it is only 2.

First step is the submission page where you fill in you data.

Second step is for review , here is all data checked if its has a Name a valid loc and if it fits onto the map. If not you are sent back to submission page. You can also see it on map. Done.

All this is to prevent to many faulty POI's as you can't delete a submitted POI your self, this is to prevent evil forces to delete POI's from DB , has happend before.
Unread 12-10-2008, 05:25 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnils View Post
I don't think its to many steps as it is only 2.
A two step process would be ok. But try to do a complete Report POI for a /loc change as a normal user:
  1. Click ReportPOI and enter POI number
  2. First problem: figure out that you need to select "/loc Change" in the dropdown of the "Comments" section but that the comment textbox is irrelevant.
  3. press submit comment
  4. Now fill in the new /loc. Again you get the same comment textbox you already had on the page before.
  5. press Review.
  6. press Save Comment
  7. During the Review process you saw that for old POIs the poitype is empty but since the dropdown was grayed out you could not fix it. Therefore back to step one, fill out the form, submit, review, save.
  8. Oh crap, you just overwrote your /loc Change report. (it's still in the comments but mods can't see it anymore)
There you go, this system is in dire need of an overhaul for normal users.
Unread 12-10-2008, 06:10 AM
EQ2MAP Developer

Agree, the report system is not good, think we need to change that.
As of now its comment based, that is not good as only 1 comment can be made that shows up for mod , think you should be aible to change all values .
Ones changed it should be locked until reviewed by a mod.
Comments should be separated from changes.
Unread 12-11-2008, 04:48 PM
A Griffon

Server: Runnyeye

I have a few questions about the POIs too.

In a lot of the city zones there are new POIs submitted by SOE. I assume these were created by Sony on the default map and imported into the eq2map database. In a lot of cases these duplicate older user submitted POIs.

I have started working my way through the Qeynos city zones flagging the extra ones for removal. I can only manage about one zone per night (about 15-20 POIs flagged) due to the current reporting system being painfully slow.

Anyway, are there any guidelines about which should be removed? In most cases i am flagging the non-SOE one to be removed but in some cases (like the SQ player housing POIs for example) there is additional info that would be nice to have. Obviously one should be removed, but which?

Also, how much detail should be included on the POI's? I have seen a few that basicly have entire quest writeups in the details and personally I think that is FAR too much. My opinion would be to have the Quest Name and that would be about it. But, what is the official view?
Unread 12-11-2008, 05:44 PM
A man among men

If there are duplicate POIs (provided by default or EQ2Map) you should report them. While there are POIs that have been added by SoE as default, just wait until a moderator reviews your POIs and approves them.

Last edited by dragowulf : 12-11-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Unread 12-11-2008, 06:55 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Thanks Liandra, I had already noticed the huge amount of reports from you, really helpful. We are currently looking at improving the reporting system (lordebon volunteered for that).

In the meantime in view of all the work you are already doing in helping out I took the liberty at making you a moderator for the EQ2MAPs website. Congratulations. You will notice that editing/deleting POIs is a bit easier that way (you can directly edit/delete POIs).

On to your questions:
  • all POIs that are marked as being submitted by "-SOE-" are regularly imported by a script we wrote directly from SOE's POIs.
  • we agree that in most cases it would be nice to keep the additional info contained in user submitted POIs
  • currently the problem is that our code will overwrite any modifications to SOE POis the next time we import them. We are currently discussing this and may disable this in the future. But at the moment if you want to keep user submitted information you should actually mark the -SOE- POI as bad and keep the user submitted POI (probably with SOE's /loc, since it will probably be more exact)
  • With respect to the contents of the description personally I would agree that entire quest writeups are too much, but some information in addition to the quest name may be useful (e.g. necessary prerequesite, previous quest steps, spawn times, stuff like that).
If there are any further questions or in case of doubt just ask, always easier to discuss issues beforehand than to fix them after the fact.
Unread 12-12-2008, 12:06 AM
EQ2MAP Developer

Quote:
I have started working my way through the Qeynos city zones flagging the extra ones for removal. I can only manage about one zone per night (about 15-20 POIs flagged) due to the current reporting system being painfully slow.
Working on a new report system, but as i don't have much spare time at the moment it may take a wile
But the new system will be better (and faster) for the users and moderators
Unread 12-12-2008, 01:27 AM
A man among men

Quote:
Working on a new report system, but as i don't have much spare time at the moment it may take a wile
Moderators cannot approve a pending poi, but can edit/delete it, is this intended?
Unread 12-12-2008, 02:45 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
I thought lordebon wanted to help out with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragowulf View Post
Moderators cannot approve a pending poi, but can edit/delete it, is this intended?
Go here: http://maps.eq2interface.com/mod.php...n=list_pending, there you need to click edit at the right side for each of them in order to review and eventually approve/reject the changes.
Unread 12-12-2008, 03:06 AM
A man among men

Quote:
Go here: http://maps.eq2interface.com/mod.php...n=list_pending, there you need to click edit at the right side for each of them in order to review and eventually approve/reject the changes.
I see now. I have to click edit on the POI list under function. If I click on the individual POI to see all comments and such, then edit wont let me change the status. That's sort of weird imo.
Unread 12-12-2008, 03:27 AM
EQ2MAP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragowulf View Post
I see now. I have to click edit on the POI list under function. If I click on the individual POI to see all comments and such, then edit wont let me change the status. That's sort of weird imo.
Thats because the moderator uses a compare window that list new and old values.

The Moderator link is at the bottom right of the eq2map website as i told you.
Unread 12-12-2008, 03:30 AM
EQ2MAP Developer

Quote:
I thought lordebon wanted to help out with that?
I did ask you if it was ok if i did it this Monday
Unread 12-12-2008, 03:47 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Oh you can do whatever you want. I only meant that if you have little time I think lordebon offered to help out, that's all.
Unread 12-12-2008, 03:13 PM
A Griffon

Server: Runnyeye

Quote:
In the meantime in view of all the work you are already doing in helping out I took the liberty at making you a moderator for the EQ2MAPs website. Congratulations. You will notice that editing/deleting POIs is a bit easier that way (you can directly edit/delete POIs).
Thanks gm9. that does make it a lot easier.

I think for the time being I will just focus on the obvious duplicate POIs in the city zones. Once they are done I will go back through and look at the iffy ones.

Possibly by then you guys will have come up with a better solution anyway.
Unread 12-12-2008, 06:05 PM
A man among men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandra View Post
Thanks gm9. that does make it a lot easier.

I think for the time being I will just focus on the obvious duplicate POIs in the city zones. Once they are done I will go back through and look at the iffy ones.

Possibly by then you guys will have come up with a better solution anyway.
I have been editing the ones with unnecessary and long descriptions. Making it short and simple, retaining the same info, is much better.