Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Dev Shack

Unread 10-26-2007, 04:56 PM
A Griffon
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Everfrost
Send a message via ICQ to Talyns

The uibuilder docs mention cursors, and cursorsets.. Details on how to implement a custom cursor set would be wonderful

I second Zonx's request for colorstyles and split() command.

Being able to seperate the (#,#) pairs and manipulate strings would be a godsend.

In addition, please make it so windows save their location, size, visible state, etc.. when manipulated by xml scripts.
Unread 10-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Server: Oasis
Send a message via ICQ to Landiin Send a message via AIM to Landiin Send a message via MSN to Landiin Send a message via Yahoo to Landiin

I would rather see them implement Top, Left, Height, Width properties then a so called split function.
Unread 10-26-2007, 06:28 PM
A Griffon

Server: Everfrost
Send a message via ICQ to Talyns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landiin View Post
I would rather see them implement Top, Left, Height, Width properties then a so called split function.
that's even better.. something that is commonly used and more familiar
Unread 10-26-2007, 08:47 PM
A Griffon
Yes this person is from Daybreak!

Server: Unrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonx View Post
I can't stress enough how major the addition of ColorStyles would be to the modding community. Currently, if I want to issue a green theme for my set, I have to replace every color def in every file of the UI, then maintain feature parity between the sets going forward. Its a MAJOR hassel. With global ColorStyles, I could reskin the entire set with 1 XML file and a handfull of images. ColorStyle = a multitude of themes in short order with virtually no maintanence overhead
You can end your crusade, I'm already working on it. I laid most of the groundwork for it last night, but it will take me a couple more days to finish it off since I'm doing it in my spare time.
Unread 10-26-2007, 08:48 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumstix42 View Post
Something I would like to see the UIBuilder do is save the programs layout properties. Every time I open UI Builder, I have to move the view panel over and resize it to fight my screen (resolution of 1280x1024).
It's just a big pet peeve because I can't view all the tabs each time I open the program. And I usually like to resize the window anyhow.
Agreed, but I don't like the tabs, I'd prefer to see them replaced with a dropdown box or something like that. What do you guys think?
Unread 10-26-2007, 08:58 PM
A man among men

Server: Nagafen
Send a message via AIM to dragowulf Send a message via MSN to dragowulf

Dropdown sounds good too me, i don't like the tabs.

Oh and for a request...when deleting, copying, etc. objects in a page can you add the function to highlight more than one object (via ctrl+click)...it gets kind of annoying to copy or delete 1 object at a time.

thanks
drago.

Last edited by dragowulf : 10-26-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Unread 10-26-2007, 10:25 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Send a message via ICQ to Landiin Send a message via AIM to Landiin Send a message via MSN to Landiin Send a message via Yahoo to Landiin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOE-Rothgar View Post
Agreed, but I don't like the tabs, I'd prefer to see them replaced with a dropdown box or something like that. What do you guys think?
Just have it like an IDE where when you click on a file in the project view it opens it in it's own edit window.

Have the edit windows grouped in tabs like VC++, Delphi, Notepad++ etc does. that way you can flick between windows/files you are editing. Also I would like to see the option to view as window or source.

Another thing that needs to be address is Object events being fired even if you don't have the run switch clicked.

Oh yea, and add properties Top, Left, Height, Width pretty please You could still use it in direct relation with the current location and size properties for backwards compatibility.

Ok now back to my own project:/

Last edited by Landiin : 10-26-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Unread 10-26-2007, 10:34 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

As long as we retain the possibility to show several modules at once like we currently can I don't mind whether they are tabs or dropdowns or whatever. But like Landiin said, double-clicking the module should bring up the view automatically.

And drago: You can already select and copy multiple objects at once (currently ctrl+shift+click, with the update ctrl+click).
Unread 10-26-2007, 10:38 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm9 View Post
And drago: You can already select and copy multiple objects at once (currently ctrl+shift+click, with the update ctrl+click).
True but you can not delete, cut, copy or paste the selected objects. The operation is just preformed on the last selected object. (in the version I am using any ways)

Last edited by Landiin : 10-26-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Unread 10-26-2007, 10:42 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

You can copy and paste if you make sure that the cursor does not sit in the text entry field of one of the elements. Otherwise it will indeed only copy the single element having cursor focus (it's a bug).
Unread 10-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Quote:
You can copy and paste if you make sure that the cursor does not sit in the text entry field of one of the elements. Otherwise it will indeed only copy the single element having cursor focus (it's a bug).
You should zip your copy up and sell it, because mine doesn't do that.

After testing a bit I found; if you have more the one object selected from the project pane it will not copy any thing.

From MainHud I selected Death and Contest. From the main menu I did Edit->Copy. I then selected the MainHud node and did Edit-> Hmm Paste is grayed out. So I selected the same windows again and did a CTRL+C then selected the MainHud node again and did CTRL+V; Yup nothing was pasted. I then selected only Death and did Edit->Copy, then selected the MainHud node and did Edit->Paste and it did paste a copy of Death to Node 0 of MainHud. I then tried the multi selection again and this time paste was active but it always pasted Death (the last single node I copied).

I took special care to only select the file icon beside the window names in the project list so not to get input focus on the text.

Edit:
Ok after further testing I found if you select more then one object and click on Edit in the main menu, paste will be active no matter if you have ever copied any thing or not. It does not behave like that if only one file is selected. Yes I did try to paste, but nothing happens. How ever if you did a Edit->Copy with more then one object selected the paste will be inactive unless you copy just one object.

What the heck am I doing.. almost 1am and I'm setting here playing with the UIBuilder.. I think I need a life! >.<

Last edited by Landiin : 10-27-2007 at 12:45 AM. Reason: More testing
Unread 10-27-2007, 01:14 AM
A Griffon
Featured

Server: Antonia Bayle
Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

Quote:
And it wasn't so much that I couldn't see the tabs, it's that I couldn't scroll the tabs over, cause the scroller was off the screen upon opening each eq2ui.xml file.
Unread 10-27-2007, 03:52 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragowulf View Post
Dropdown sounds good too me, i don't like the tabs.

Oh and for a request...when deleting, copying, etc. objects in a page can you add the function to highlight more than one object (via ctrl+click)...it gets kind of annoying to copy or delete 1 object at a time.

thanks
drago.
You can already do this in the new version, you just don't have it yet.
Unread 10-27-2007, 05:35 AM
A Griffon

Ok, I've added Top, Left, Width and Height, but I don't want them to saved out with the XML because that will just bloat the files even more with duplicate data. So I'm thinking about removing them from the property list. This means they won't actually show up in UI builder but should still be accessible to Get/Set with script. Another option would be for me to implement a list of properties that don't get saved with the XML, but I'm not sure how often this would get used since most of the time if you set a property, you want it saved.

I like everyone's ideas of making UI Builder work more like Visual Studio. A Multiple Document Interface with source view would be really slick, but would require quite a bit of work. For now I'll probably stick with smaller changes that have high productivity gains.

I'll start a new thread to better organize UI Builder feature requests and bugs.
Unread 10-27-2007, 05:37 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
You should zip your copy up and sell it, because mine doesn't do that.
Hehe, since we get the new versions soon anyway I doubt there'd be much of a market. It does work though. The current bug is that you have to click Ctrl+Shift to multiple select. However, Shift is also the shortcut key for starting editing. Try moving the multiple selected windows around in the preview pane, easiest way to clear the edit cursor. You can then multiple copy/paste then. The other possibility is to select multiple items by Shift-Clicking in the preview pane, this allows you to copy them right away.
Unread 10-27-2007, 05:46 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Ok, I've added Top, Left, Width and Height, but I don't want them to saved out with the XML because that will just bloat the files even more with duplicate data.
Sweet, this opens up so many possibilities!

Quote:
Another option would be for me to implement a list of properties that don't get saved with the XML, but I'm not sure how often this would get used since most of the time if you set a property, you want it saved.
I would LOVE this. Saves me manually removing all those redundant auto-generated properties such as LocalText, LocalTooltip, ScrollExtent, basically everything on childs of volume pages, etc. - there is so much redundant data that is being saved, would be great if that could be disabled.
Unread 10-27-2007, 06:12 AM
A Griffon

I wasn't thinking in terms of exposing the list to users, but keeping it internally.

We might be able to implement rules specific to certain properties like, don't output ScrollExtent if the value is the same as the size.

I talked to Silverfrost today about removing LocalText and LocalTooltip completely, so this might happen after the expansion.

Overall I don't think the file sizes are much of an issue though. They compress well and still load fast. I just don't like the idea of having location and size as well as left, top, width and height for every widget.
Unread 10-27-2007, 07:20 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
I talked to Silverfrost today about removing LocalText and LocalTooltip completely, so this might happen after the expansion.
You'll probably have to keep them in the game code though because the Text/Tooltip have the asset tags which get removed during runtime when it's copied into the LocalText/Tooltip elements.
Unread 10-27-2007, 02:53 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Quote:
Ok, I've added Top, Left, Width and Height, but I don't want them to saved out with the XML because that will just bloat the files even more with duplicate data. So I'm thinking about removing them from the property list. This means they won't actually show up in UI builder but should still be accessible to Get/Set with script. Another option would be for me to implement a list of properties that don't get saved with the XML, but I'm not sure how often this would get used since most of the time if you set a property, you want it saved.
Why not keep Top, Left, Height and Width as real properties and use the location and size property as the alias? After all Top, Left, Height and Width are standard properties for Visual Objects other then VC++. But this is you guys app, so do as you all feel is best.

Quote:
I like everyone's ideas of making UI Builder work more like Visual Studio. A Multiple Document Interface with source view would be really slick, but would require quite a bit of work. For now I'll probably stick with smaller changes that have high productivity gains.

I'll start a new thread to better organize UI Builder feature requests and bugs.
I totally understand Rothgar.
Unread 10-27-2007, 02:55 PM
A Griffon

Yep, it appears that when the Text and Tooltip properties are set, translation occurs and the translated text is stored in LocalText and LocalTooltip. Rendering most likely grabs the text from the localized version so translation only has to happen once when the property is set instead of every time the property is read.

However, we should be able to remove Localtext and Localtooltip from the XML files since these properties values are rebuilt when the file is loaded.

I believe PackLocationProp and PackSizeProp work the same way. They should be generated on load from the PackLocation and PackSize properties, so they shouldn't be necessary in the XML files.
Unread 10-27-2007, 03:07 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Yea, I never use Localtext, Localtooltip, PackLocationProp, PackSizeProp as they seem to get changed a runtime anyway so never seen the need to include them in my XML files. However they are the goto property in scripts as they seem to be the property that gets data filled by gamedata.
Unread 10-27-2007, 03:51 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
I believe PackLocationProp and PackSizeProp work the same way. They should be generated on load from the PackLocation and PackSize properties, so they shouldn't be necessary in the XML files.
I think that is currently true. A while ago for proportional PackLocation properties the XML would take precendence but that was a bug and should be fixed by now.

And Landiin, the non-local properties also get filled by GameData. If some aren't that would be a bug.
Unread 10-27-2007, 05:13 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Quote:
And Landiin, the non-local properties also get filled by GameData. If some aren't that would be a bug.
Not saying it isn't now but when I first started doing EQ2 UI mods that wasn't the case, else I would of never used any of the local* properties.

Last edited by Landiin : 10-27-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Unread 10-27-2007, 07:24 PM
A Green Troll
Featured

Server: Blackburrow
Send a message via Yahoo to Zonx

Quote:
You can end your crusade, I'm already working on it. I laid most of the groundwork for it last night, but it will take me a couple more days to finish it off since I'm doing it in my spare time.
I've been asking for this for over 2 years, a few more days wont hurt

Quote:
Ok, I've added Top, Left, Width and Height...
AWSOME!

Please note this will be only marginally usefull if the fields don't accept float since currently there is no way to convert a number with float to an int and any math generates float. This relates to my earlier request for some kind of Int() function.
Unread 10-27-2007, 11:55 PM
A Griffon

Server: Crushbone

Quote:
For more info on &#xA and other encodes you can check out www.w3.orc
Am I the only one who caught this? Was that a Freudian slip that expresses your TRUE feelings about the W3C, Landiin??

(If they introduced the .orc TLD, I'd SO buy one!)

Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled conversation...