EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP

Unread 06-01-2005, 05:22 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Antonia Bayle

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco-man
are you sure? it asks every time for me that it wants to overwrite it when the box is checked.
how are you testing it? if you are just deleting the file and running the updater its not overwriting it (because the file isnt there so it cant overwrite it) it should only be asking when it is actually truly overwriting the file. if you want to test it, open up eq2ui_mainhud_map.xml in notepad change it, save it and then run the updater.
Positive. I had the Minimap plugin, ran a full download and had to reinstall the minimap plugin...

Gonna run it right now and I'll know for certain if I can reproduce it...
Unread 06-01-2005, 05:26 PM
A Brown Bear

My mistake... No it didin't overwrite MainHUD.Map.

It overwrote Plugin_X.xml on full download. Should those be pulled? Mine is minimap and gets fragged when I do a full pull.

Possible to make a checkbox to download the most used plugins like minimap etc? that would be sweet.
Unread 06-01-2005, 07:58 PM
A Sea Turtle
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Permafrost
Thumbs Up

Sorry I was too late to act as one of the testers, but I just wanted to say I'm glad to see you putting out a new version and keep up the good work.
Unread 06-01-2005, 08:13 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihyn
My mistake... No it didin't overwrite MainHUD.Map.

It overwrote Plugin_X.xml on full download. Should those be pulled? Mine is minimap and gets fragged when I do a full pull.

Possible to make a checkbox to download the most used plugins like minimap etc? that would be sweet.
the purpose of the Re-Download All Files is to download all the default files for when the user is having problems, it doesnt check if the files match or not, it just downloads all the default ones, that is why it replaced it when you did the Re-Download All Files.
its not replacing your plugins when you just run it normally is it(without using the Re-Download All Files button)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihyn
not in this version that would involve a LOT of coding to do, perhaps in the next version of the updater (if there is one)

Last edited by taco-man : 06-01-2005 at 08:17 PM.
Unread 06-01-2005, 08:34 PM
A Forest Scavenger

Server: Crushbone

With the latest beta release I can confirm it runs fine on .NET 2.0 Beta 2 x64 edition
Havent managed to crash it again yet
Unread 06-01-2005, 08:46 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

would love to help test it if you still need people.
Unread 06-01-2005, 10:40 PM
A Crazed Gnoll

Server: Butcherblock
Default Just one thing.

Works great. I don't know if anyone else noticed this, I was too lazy to read the entire thread. But I ran the updater a few times and noticed that the overall progress bar read 100% even though it is only around 96-97% finished. No big, it doesn't break anything and it's still the best tool for EQ2. If someone has already brought this to your attention sorry for wasting the last 60 seconds of your life. Of course if you could fix that it would keep me from going
Unread 06-01-2005, 11:09 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

Lightbulb

its because it rounds up to the nearest whole number and the percentage is calculated by amount of bytes left to download, and not amount of files left. so if it is downloading a bunch of big files and then a few small ones 1 file is a very small %

EDIT: I know i will add a thing that shows how many files are left

Last edited by taco-man : 06-01-2005 at 11:34 PM.
Unread 06-01-2005, 11:30 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

OK tons of updates tonight, hopefully i got everything right, if anyone had any suggestions that i failed to include in this version PLEASE let me know
stuff changed this version
- added a files left counter
- added a ui directory selection (you choose the directory and it will update to that directory and set your eq2.ini to that directory)
- updater will not autolaunch if the options window is open
- added a button to stop the updater when it is downloading (the update button changes to a stop button during the downloading)
- other things that i cant remember

Thanks again to everyone who is helping test it!

and here are the 2 new screenshots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pre_release_updater1.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	2823  Click image for larger version

Name:	pre_release_updater2.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	2824  

Last edited by taco-man : 06-02-2005 at 01:03 AM.
Unread 06-02-2005, 01:11 AM
A Crazed Gnoll

Server: Butcherblock

Quote:
its because it rounds up to the nearest whole number and the percentage is calculated by amount of bytes left to download, and not amount of files left. so if it is downloading a bunch of big files and then a few small ones 1 file is a very small %

EDIT: I know i will add a thing that shows how many files are left
You programmers and your fancy talk. Rounding and cal-q-latin percentages and such. It's all good, I just won't watch it update, that and I self medicate . Its a great program that has saved me on more than one occasion. Thank you for sharing it . ooh pills

Enric
Unread 06-02-2005, 04:18 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Lucan DLere

So far I have had no run time issues with the auto-updater. I have, however, am having in-game strangeness and I will try to describe what is happening and what I have done to recreate it.

Using a custom UI of mix and match interface pieces the auto-updater ran perfectly and the mapping system worked equally well in-game, however to be fair I installed the beta directly on top of the 0.97 auto-updater.

Not related to the install of the new beta I decided to completely redo my UI. I renamed my original custom UI to a backup name and copied the entire /default directory to /snivers, my new custom UI playground. I deleted all my server_*_eq2_uisettings.ini files to start with a completely clean slate.

After I wiping the slate clean, I ran the beta auto-updater (installed over the 0.97) to get map ready. The updater again worked well having no problem finding the new UI folder named snivers and installing the *.xml and *.dds files. It auto-launched EQ2 and I waited for my new frog to show up on screen. Pop came the frog and the came the “[Everquest] as encountered problems and must close.” dialog box. OK. I tried again and the same thing occurred.

I deleted my server_*_eq2_uisettings.ini file, deleted the snivers UI directory, removed the eq2.ini file and used the UI directly from the default, simulating a clean install. Not using anything from EQ2Map, I loaded up my frog and was able to play without a hitch.

Next I copied the /default folder back to a new /snivers UI, made a new eq2.ini indicating the /snivers directory and loaded up the game. Again I was able to play without incident.

Normal - areas of concern left saturated for comparison

I logged out.

I ran the beta auto-updater once again over the “clean install” and loaded up the game. This is what the UI looked like: Notice the saturated areas. Relocation of pieces occured without my interference.

I recopied the default directory as before, left the *_uisettings.ini and ignored the EQ2Map Beta. In-game screen came up as normal. I tried EQ2Map beta again and the same UI anomalies appeared.

I decided to try this all again but this time with the ‘original’ clean install of 0.97. Redoing all my UI directories, eq2.ini and *_uisettings.ini files, I installed 0.97 and ran the update. The game loaded and the /snivers (copied /default) UI appeared as expected, with no faults.

Leaving the eq2.ini and *_uisettings.ini files and recopying the /default directory, uninstalling the 0.97 EQ2Map, deleting its residual directory, installing the latest beta EQ2Map, and allowing it to freshly update the map files, I then loaded up the game and the UI appeared as the second screenshot with the same indicated faults.

I’m not sure if it’s something on my end, but as I said this only happens on a clean copied /default directory. I wish I can be of more help with what is happening.
Unread 06-02-2005, 08:40 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Latest version seems to be working great for me now. No problems launching the game or CombatStats via the autolaunch2. One small cosmetic though... if you hit the 'Download All Files' after the auto-update's "Files Left" count is zero, it'll start counting back into the negative =)
Unread 06-02-2005, 09:12 AM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeweyTime
I’m not sure if it’s something on my end, but as I said this only happens on a clean copied /default directory. I wish I can be of more help with what is happening.
with custom ui's you dont want to copy the whole default directory, you jsut put files that you want changed/added into your custom ui folder, does it work when you update into an empty custom ui folder?
Unread 06-02-2005, 09:23 AM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamkin
Latest version seems to be working great for me now. No problems launching the game or CombatStats via the autolaunch2. One small cosmetic though... if you hit the 'Download All Files' after the auto-update's "Files Left" count is zero, it'll start counting back into the negative =)
this mornings new version fixes that.
i also added a check to make sure that if the eq2.ini is set to a custom interface that it creates the folder for it if it doesnt exist.
Unread 06-02-2005, 09:36 AM
A Griffon

The only thing I have to add that I don't think was covered yet was that I was able to get multiple copies of the program running (well, two) despite it telling me it wasn't going to start another instance of the program. Both of these copies were running the updater but it caused a lot of delay.

I stopped both of them before launching EQ2 so I don't know if they would have auto-launched two instances of everquest or not.

This is, of course, purely a foolproofing issue and a very minor one at that.
Unread 06-02-2005, 11:25 AM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

can you test it again with the version i uploaded this morning, i thought i had corrected it and it seems to be working for me?
Unread 06-02-2005, 12:45 PM
A Griffon

Not sure if this is something you want to bother with or not but on the topic of idiotproofing..

I don’t have eq2 installed here so I’ll have to try it again later but just for the heck of it, I re-downloaded the file from the link in the PM, installed it and clicked the shortcut button about 7 or 8 times.

I clicked cancel when prompted to find my eq2 exe. There was a long delay and then I was told that the program would not be loaded because the exe could not be found.

The program did load, though. Three times. It did not update but one of the windows froze and all three spawned Error Updating windows.

One window said this:
Unknown Error:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at WindowsApplication7.GlobalVariables.WriteConfigValues()
at WindowsApplication7.Form1.Form1_Closing(Object sender, CancelEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnClosing(CancelEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.CheckCloseDialog()

The other two said this (I couldn’t highlite to copy so doing this one by hand)
Unknown Error:
C:\Program Files\EQ2MAP Updater\stop_button.png
at System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(String filename, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement)
at System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(String filename)
at WindowsApplication7.Form1.DoUpdates()
at WindowsApplication7.Form1.Timer3_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Froms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr idEvent, IntPtr dwTime)

Trying to close the windows just spawned more. Had to reboot to get rid of them.

EDIT: NOTE - just want to reiterate that the program works fine for me unless I do something silly like click the link 7 times in quick succession on a computer that's not running EQ2. This all relates to idiotproofing only.

Last edited by Lange : 06-02-2005 at 12:47 PM.
Unread 06-02-2005, 01:44 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
with custom ui's you dont want to copy the whole default directory, you jsut put files that you want changed/added into your custom ui folder, does it work when you update into an empty custom ui folder?
Created a brand new empty custom ui folder, ran the 1.0PR EQ2Map and came up with the same results as seen in the second image above.

This does not happen with 0.97 only with 1.0PR.

Edit:

Of course, like an idiot I neglect to actually test the map in-game. Using the empty custom UI folder containing only the EQ2Map mod as uploaded by the 1.0PR, this is what the Map looks like.

Repeating procedure and using 0.97 instead shows working map.

P.S. I copied the /default folder so that I can go in with UIBuilder and start playing with the idea of editing and creating a personal UI and getting a better understanding of the environment.

Last edited by DeweyTime : 06-02-2005 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Added image showing use of map.
Unread 06-02-2005, 03:34 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

ok it is fixed now, thanks for letting me know about that, i would never have caught that. 1 stinking icon file for a zone that doesnt have an image yet was missing from the file list the new version of the updater uses, but wasnt from the other. It will be impossible for this kind of problem to happen again, it was just from me having to go through each zone on the site once to make the new file list for the new updater and i just missed that zone.
let me know if it doesnt fix it, but it should because i tested before had your problem, ran it again after i fixed it and it worked.
Unread 06-02-2005, 03:53 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lange
Not sure if this is something you want to bother with or not but on the topic of idiotproofing..

I don’t have eq2 installed here so I’ll have to try it again later but just for the heck of it, I re-downloaded the file from the link in the PM, installed it and clicked the shortcut button about 7 or 8 times.

I clicked cancel when prompted to find my eq2 exe. There was a long delay and then I was told that the program would not be loaded because the exe could not be found.

The program did load, though. Three times. It did not update but one of the windows froze and all three spawned Error Updating windows.

One window said this:
Unknown Error:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at WindowsApplication7.GlobalVariables.WriteConfigValues()
at WindowsApplication7.Form1.Form1_Closing(Object sender, CancelEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnClosing(CancelEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.CheckCloseDialog()

The other two said this (I couldn’t highlite to copy so doing this one by hand)
Unknown Error:
C:\Program Files\EQ2MAP Updater\stop_button.png
at System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(String filename, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement)
at System.Drawing.Image.FromFile(String filename)
at WindowsApplication7.Form1.DoUpdates()
at WindowsApplication7.Form1.Timer3_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Froms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr idEvent, IntPtr dwTime)

Trying to close the windows just spawned more. Had to reboot to get rid of them.

EDIT: NOTE - just want to reiterate that the program works fine for me unless I do something silly like click the link 7 times in quick succession on a computer that's not running EQ2. This all relates to idiotproofing only.
basically i just have to hope nobody i clicks it a million times like that. however i modified my code so that you should at least be able to close the program if that happens.
Unread 06-02-2005, 04:53 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

got another update up, all it does it just show the # of bytes/kb/mb left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pre_release_updater1.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	2839  

Last edited by taco-man : 06-02-2005 at 04:57 PM.
Unread 06-02-2005, 05:25 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

I repeated each scenario I listed above with the latest updater and everything worked perfectly each time. The UI came up as expected as well as the map working as it should.

Unread 06-03-2005, 09:31 AM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

1 final update, all i did was make it so that if there isnt a second file for autolaunch the box doesnt have a "/" in it..
if there are any problems at all please let me know because i would like to release the updater either tonight or tomorrow morning.
Unread 06-03-2005, 07:20 PM
A Brown Bear

Think it's lookin great! no probs on this end.

Thanks for letting me be part of the testing! It was great helping ya with a program that I know so many people absolutely love.

Great work! And thanks again!

Nihyn - Guk
Unread 06-04-2005, 02:06 AM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

Thank you everyone who helped me test the updater before it was released, It was very helpful and helped me tremendously!

The updater is now released and can be downloaded from here