EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP > EQ2Map Troubleshooting

Unread 08-28-2005, 02:39 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default EQ2 closing suddenly

I spent two days trying to narrow down what was causing my EQ2 program to suddenly close without warning. Finally after removing all my UI's and removing and reinstalling EQ2 from scratch on my PC I was able to get EQ2 to stay open. Then when I reinstalled EQ2Map I started having the problem again. Basically EQ2 would work just fine for 30min periods and at the end of each period it would freeze for two seconds and close the entire program. Any suggestions? I really love having the maps and would really be a shame if I had to play without them. Thanks in advance.

Laevus/ Grecko
Unread 08-28-2005, 03:05 AM
EQ2MAP Updater Author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Send a message via AIM to taco-man Send a message via MSN to taco-man Send a message via Yahoo to taco-man

how would the updater cause it? the updater is closed as soon as eq2 is launched, so im not quite sure how the updater could cause eq2 to close suddenly if the updater isnt even running ??? are you SURE that its not just a coincidence, and really some other problem?

the problem is most likely something else, you should try posting in the technical support forum on the official eq2 boards(make sure you provide all the info they need which is listed in a sticky thread at the top).

Last edited by taco-man : 08-28-2005 at 03:21 AM.
Unread 08-28-2005, 04:35 AM
A small badger.

Server: Splitpaw

as taco-man said, EQ2 updater should be closing itself before eq2 runs. Best way to check is to run the updater, let it boot into EQ2, and on the quicklaunch make sure the eq2updater window is closed.

If it is, press ctrl-alt-del and look in the task manager processes tab. If there is a process called EQ2_Updater.exe running then kill it off and try that, and then we can work out why it isn't closing. If it isn't there then the updater itself simply isn't the problem.

If the updater is closing fine then you might want to look at your UI and the setup of where the maps are being placed. You might have a corrupt file somewhere. Go into the EQ2map updater options and hit the re-download all files button. If that doesn't sort it, try running it without a custom UI installed.
Unread 08-28-2005, 04:50 AM
A Forest Scavenger

Server: Innothule

I usually run the EQ2map updater first, then close it when it's done dowloading. I have no problems with it.
Unread 08-28-2005, 06:03 AM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

Send a message via AIM to taco-man Send a message via MSN to taco-man Send a message via Yahoo to taco-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzandr
I usually run the EQ2map updater first, then close it when it's done dowloading. I have no problems with it.
you dont even have to do that; did you know it will close itself automatically when you hit open eq or when it autolaunches?
Unread 08-28-2005, 09:04 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

i think the responders are not reading the entire post and just responding to the subject line ...
Unread 08-28-2005, 11:00 AM
A small badger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebc
i think the responders are not reading the entire post and just responding to the subject line ...
Let me help you out. Next time you feel the need to post, just walk away from the computer.
Unread 08-28-2005, 11:00 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

I checked to make sure the updater was closing correctly and it is. So the problem I dont think is with the updater program but I do have a suspicion that it has to do with the files in the eq2map subfolder in the UI folder. For the purpose of troubleshooting and narrowing down the possiblities I have taken every custon UI out of my EQ2 program folder and am ONLY running the EQ2map. Just for %^&$ and giggles I removed the updater and the subfolder in the directory to see if EQ2 would crash still. It didn't. I had a flawless 12 hour run with it. This morning I reinstalled the updater and re-downloaded all the files using it and 30 mins later EQ2 suddenly closed again.

Any suggestions ? Sorry about the hassle but life without your program would be almost unbarable !

Laevus/ Grecko
Unread 08-28-2005, 11:06 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Oh and I prolly should add .... not that it may or may not have anything to do with it... I only started having this problem since I upgraded from your 1.0 version to the latest one.
Unread 08-28-2005, 01:02 PM
A small badger.

Hmm, this is really odd then, as EQ2 updater is closing then it has no way of pulling your EQ2 exe down. This leads me on to a corrupt EQ2 map file. You might want to try the manual updater and see if it still crashes with just the files downloaded.

Out of interest, is there any pattern to your crashes? Zoneing, or in any place, opening any window ect. Or is it all completly random?
Unread 08-28-2005, 01:48 PM
A Coastal Crab

Im having the same problem with laevus, yet ive uninstalled it both my UI's and map updater(although map updater i just deleted folder) and its crashing alot, ill get back to u after i mess around a lil more.... i ended up reformating my computer.... it doesent give an error message when it crasehs either.
Unread 08-28-2005, 02:06 PM
A Sea Turtle

I have had similar problems since upgrading to the 1.06 version.

The crashes happen at random times. Some times when zoning some times when logging back in from a crash (even after I have rebooted). Some times just running across a zone (no where near a zone line).

I doubt it is a single corrupt map as crashes happened to me in multiple different zones with out the map up.

Was there, perhaps, some change in how the maps were pushed down with the 1.06 version?

I am going to try and find the 1.0 version and see if I have problems with it.
Unread 08-28-2005, 02:33 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Everfrost

You may want to start by making sure you have all the patches installed for the .Net Framework (I think there are 2 of them). Microsoft usually releases patches because their software is flawed...I mean has undocumented features
Unread 08-28-2005, 04:46 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paganstar
Was there, perhaps, some change in how the maps were pushed down with the 1.06 version?
no changes at all to how it gets the files.
Unread 08-28-2005, 04:52 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laevus
I checked to make sure the updater was closing correctly and it is. So the problem I dont think is with the updater program but I do have a suspicion that it has to do with the files in the eq2map subfolder in the UI folder. For the purpose of troubleshooting and narrowing down the possiblities I have taken every custon UI out of my EQ2 program folder and am ONLY running the EQ2map. Just for %^&$ and giggles I removed the updater and the subfolder in the directory to see if EQ2 would crash still. It didn't. I had a flawless 12 hour run with it. This morning I reinstalled the updater and re-downloaded all the files using it and 30 mins later EQ2 suddenly closed again.

Any suggestions ? Sorry about the hassle but life without your program would be almost unbarable !

Laevus/ Grecko
have you tried taking all the uis out of your folder(including eq2map)? and then playing? also did you use loadui(if you did dont use it)?
Unread 08-29-2005, 08:11 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Aye. I have taken all UI files minus the Default folder out of the UI directory. And no I haven't used the /loadui command.

Just as another update I went and installed a much better cooling system in my PC to bring my PC temp down even more. It certainly brought the PC way down in temp but unfortunetly overheating wasn't the problem. Tonight I also removed EQ2map from my PC just to be redundant and EQ2 crashed on me twice. So I'll have to apologize and say it couldn't have been EQ2map or any of it's files that were cause me to crash. I'm not sure what the difference in tonight's tests were compared to the last two nights but tonight's tests throw the possiblity of it being a UI based file from your great program out the window. Thanks for you help. I'll just have to figure what else may be causing me the problems.

Laevus/ Grecko
Unread 08-30-2005, 05:56 AM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

just a suggestion, try and see if you can borrow a power supply from a friend that has a good one (not just watts but a good brand) and see if that fixes it. (its worth a shot, especially if you can just borrow one for free)

when i had crashing problems it was from a bad power supply that couldnt handle all my stuff(however i would get the restarts/blue screen of death) so this may not be related since it seems its just crashing eq2.

you may want to see if you can try with someone elses ram, that could be more likely to cause the problem you have.
Unread 08-30-2005, 09:38 AM
A Coastal Crab

Im not sure what your problem is but all i can say is that i have been having same issue since upgrading to the newest version of eqmap , I also uninstalled it to test and havent been having trouble since ...
Unread 08-30-2005, 03:02 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

I already thought of the RAM ... swapped it out for known good chips. Still the same problem. It's really odd. Oh and of course SoE customer support is zero help. They keep telling me to do the same things over and over again. And basically hang up on me when I tell them I've done that already twice and I'm not doing it again so what's next. I'm a bit frustrated right now. Sorry.

Laevus/Grecko
Unread 08-30-2005, 03:08 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

i certainly hope you can get your problem fixed, sorry that it wasnt my program causing it (because then at least you could get rid of it and your game would work)
Unread 08-30-2005, 03:21 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

I'm glad it wasn't your program causing my problems which means when I do finally get this resolved I'll be able to use your prog. But at the same time it's frustrating not being able to fix something that shouldn't be a problem. SO I'm stuck doing nothing and watching the paint dry. Thanks again for all of your help.