Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP

Closed Thread
Unread 01-10-2005, 06:06 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Unrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyis3l33t
Sunthas, what did you use for that down below map?
http://www.darniaq.com/EQ2/Maps/eq2maps.htm
Quote:
These maps are free for anyone to use as they see fit. More will become available in time. The style I am developing may not appeal to everyone though, so please be sure to check out the excellent alternatives.

here is vermin snye
are these maps good enough that we can use them? Do I need to make them better?

P.S. Working on Peat Bog now.

/edit clearing up disk space. Let me know if you needed these files. new VS files a few posts down.

Last edited by sunthas : 01-11-2005 at 12:10 PM.
Unread 01-10-2005, 06:40 PM
A Griffon
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Can someone make a scan of the map that shipped with EQ2, cut out freeport and qeynos, and save those and upload them here as either medium grade jpegs or DT1 (no alpha) DDS files?

Also, yes, I "made" the map_blank.dds file by pasting together a bunch of the default EQ2 maps. Most of the remade maps will have nearly identical proportions to the ones we did up already, just with new graphics replacing SoulPl's work. Hehe, even with the zonerect calculator, I'm not doing a dozen fresh zonerects.

Also, anyone working on maps, if you can make/get one, and then post it here so I can put it into the in-game map window, it'd make my life WAY easier. In other words, don't put it on the map background, that makes me have to do double the work, getting all new zonerects. If you just post it without background (but still DDS), or as a photoshop file or jpeg, I can get it in-game quicker.

Quib

P.S. - Here's the redone peat bog and forest ruins that I've set up, maps based off of: http://www.darniaq.com/EQ2/Maps/eq2maps.htm
Attached Files
File Type: zip pb_fr.zip (145.9 KB, 268 views)
Unread 01-10-2005, 06:56 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

Server: Antonia Bayle

another mapping program that parses log files is Mappie http://meow.dyndns.org/Mappie i found it while i was bored at school, i haven't had a chance to test it but it should probably work.
Unread 01-10-2005, 06:56 PM
EQ2MAP Webmaster

Server: Unkown

So is there somewhere I can dowload the zonerect calculator from tacoman? or could someone just mail it to me,
fisher2w2@
-spambotcut-
yahoo.com
Unread 01-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloa
So is there somewhere I can dowload the zonerect calculator from tacoman? or could someone just mail it to me,
fisher2w2@
-spambotcut-
yahoo.com
http://www.eq2interface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=963
Unread 01-10-2005, 07:01 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quib
Also, anyone working on maps, if you can make/get one, and then post it here so I can put it into the in-game map window, it'd make my life WAY easier. In other words, don't put it on the map background, that makes me have to do double the work, getting all new zonerects. If you just post it without background (but still DDS), or as a photoshop file or jpeg, I can get it in-game quicker.
So my VS and DownBelow need more work? You don't want me to put them on your blank_map.dds?
Unread 01-10-2005, 07:05 PM
EQ2MAP Webmaster

Server: Unkown

Thanks Dolby, that link shouldve been posted here before, as I've been waiting on this for a day or two now.
Unread 01-10-2005, 07:31 PM
A Griffon

Server: Neriak

I am hoping to find a utility to extract vpk files so that I can look into them for zone information. The reason why is because I'd like to be able to generate maps based on the actual zone data, complete with textured topography and low detail wireframe buildings.

This idea is inspired by my old DAoC days, where I used a Python script written by Oliver Jowett of the late randomly.org to generate map images. Since then, it seems that someone has made a GUI for the script, and you can check out some screenshots of what I mean here: http://nathrach.republicofnewhome.org/mappergui.html

I think I will look into the python version of this, and see if it could be ported to use different types of data, but what we really need is to crack the vpk files, and figure out the data format of the zones.

Anyhow, this is a related subject that I wanted to put out there, but I don't expect it to happen anytime soon.
Unread 01-10-2005, 07:49 PM
A Griffon

"So my VS and DownBelow need more work? You don't want me to put them on your blank_map.dds?"
It's not a matter of needing work, it's a matter of placement. Sometimes, when doing the zonerect, I need to rescale or move the map up/down/left/right and if you already have it pasted on the blank map, I have to cut your map out to move it or resize it. That's what I meant by it would make it easier for me if you posted maps that aren't on the blank background.

The newbie areas are basically done. I'll paste scans of the in-box EQ2 map over the Freeport newbie zones, and a couple of the Qeynos ones, so they'll be 100% unrelated to SoulPl's maps, and I'm personally remapping The Thieves' Way, then will release our first official release of the map pack.

I'll have it ready for the last few location information spots by tonight hopefully. Here's hoping for a mid-week launch of version 1.

Quib
Unread 01-10-2005, 07:56 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloa
Thanks Dolby, that link shouldve been posted here before, as I've been waiting on this for a day or two now.
it was a few pages ago
post # 206 not only does it do zonerect, i decided to make it do a calculation for what the xy location should be for placing icons on the map based on the zone rect and the in game location you are trying to represent, i think this will save more time than the part that is used for calculating zone rect, I think that both will be very usefull
Unread 01-10-2005, 09:44 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quib
"So my VS and DownBelow need more work? You don't want me to put them on your blank_map.dds?"
It's not a matter of needing work, it's a matter of placement. Sometimes, when doing the zonerect, I need to rescale or move the map up/down/left/right and if you already have it pasted on the blank map, I have to cut your map out to move it or resize it. That's what I meant by it would make it easier for me if you posted maps that aren't on the blank background.
Quib
You want dds filetype? black background work best? I will redo VS and Down Below tomorrow if no one beats me to it.
Unread 01-10-2005, 09:48 PM
A Griffon

Format doesn't "really" matter, I'd say use DDS because it's so compact. DDS isn't lossless though... the compression beats up the image quality, AND every time you open and then resave, it gets worse. Ok, I'm getting off topic.

Either a black background, or a bright pink/purple. If you do black, making a dropshadow will be easy, if you do pink/purple, I can cut it out, then apply some filters before adding a shadow-ish aura.

Quib
Unread 01-10-2005, 11:45 PM
a hedgehog

Server: Nagafen

quib,
please list all the zones you have got acceptable maps for. I will post all the maps i make as psd so you can click and move the map's layer.

Last edited by tonyis3l33t : 01-17-2005 at 06:08 AM.
Unread 01-10-2005, 11:50 PM
A Griffon

Right now I have Oakmyst Forest, The Forest Ruins and The Peat Bog done. I'm working on "The Caves" but they're dang hard to get working accurately.

The freeport newbie zones are technically all legit, but I'm gonna redo them higher quality using scans off of the in-box EQ2 map.

Serpent Sewer, The Thieves' Way, Stormhold and The Wailing Caves all need to be redone.

Any other zones will be new to me.

Quib
Unread 01-10-2005, 11:59 PM
a hedgehog

i posted BB a few posts back, as well as fallen gate...i will post source psd if you need it
Unread 01-11-2005, 01:24 AM
A Forest Scavenger

Server: Befallen
Default user question

i've been following this thread and trying downloads here and there. so far what i've got is an extra map window that will show me maps, with little dots and tooltips telling me whats there. the map window now has a loc input for waypoints.

i know the newbie freeport areas are said to be mapped out, however i'm fairly sure i saw that nek was also mappped out. however the map does not give any info and the one that spawns it's own window gives little info either.

specificly was i was hoping for was that area's would have a tooltip. example being things like that mound lake/pond in nek, or gargoyle canyon (also in nek).

having the map fog reset would actually be kinda cool, seeing how i've found these places but have problems remembering exactly where and ingame notes don't save (why soe didn't allow us to annotate or own maps in game is beyond me).

is this something that is a goal of this project? or does it do this and i just installed something wrong (from what i've read i don't think i did). i was hoping that it's to end up with maps like that gray-online but in game, so you could see where things were after you've unfoged them of course.

also as a reference for some areas and /loc info you might want to look at the quest database in http://eq2.ogaming.com/ for an idea of where to look for a map point.

good luck on the awesome project. i look forward to being able to look at a map ingame and have it make sense and have more information than it currently does. sorry for the disjointed nature of the post...been a long confusing day.

Last edited by noize : 01-11-2005 at 01:40 AM.
Unread 01-11-2005, 01:59 AM
a hedgehog

we are learning! Give us time, this IS in beta forum
our goal:
to provide in-game maps for zones unexplored.
to provide waypoints and quest help for all zones. (with click to make wisp)

If you want to help get maps in game, do this.
1. Go into the zone you want a map for (preferably one we haven't already done ).
2. turn on logging (forgot exact command, something like /log on)
3. create a /loc macro, put it in your hotbar
4. run around the edges of the zone hitting your hotkey for /loc
5. either parse the log yourself, leaving only the /loc lines, or just post it if you dont know how to do that.
-------------------------------------------
6. If you know how to use an acad program, you can input all the coords into the program and create a connect the dots map. Connect them, make the zone lines/pillars in zone, mebbe water boundaries, bridges, etc.
7. Drop it in the blank map provided a few posts back by quib.
8. Post it! and give us permission to use it

anyone know how to make the eraser in adope photoshop a square? im kinda new with it

Last edited by tonyis3l33t : 01-11-2005 at 02:02 AM.
Unread 01-11-2005, 02:02 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOE_Bobble
I suspect the fog will reset itself if you change the ZoneRect though.
MrBobble
Yes, yes, yes it will. I have to reexplore Thundering Steppes now... DOH!

This could be a feature if people wanted to make sure they had checked every nook and crany. LOL.

It'd be nice to be able to add that fog to all the maps we make as a checkbox.
Unread 01-11-2005, 04:00 AM
A Griffon

Server: Neriak

Is there no way to temporarily remove the fog? Perhaps look into the 'hide the fog' checkbox for the city zones..
Unread 01-11-2005, 09:41 AM
A Brown Bear

Good news, the patch of today fixed all of my custom maps.
There were many misalignement between the YouAreHereDot and the map.
I had a hard time to find the issue and finally gave up. I log this morning,
i patch the game, and all my maps are working like a charm.

The click and follow the glowing trail is working too. What a nice day for mappers.
Unread 01-11-2005, 09:56 AM
a hedgehog

http://www.yalp.org/download.html

good file parser. Goto the search tab and do a search for location or whatever. Check it out.

Would someone please post a name than can input a bunch of /loc's into it as points? I'd really like to make my own maps! I know some acad ones do it, but i would like a name so i can work with the same prog as whoever else uses them.

Last edited by tonyis3l33t : 01-11-2005 at 10:03 AM.
Unread 01-11-2005, 11:47 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Guys,

I have been lurking (and drooling) over this mod and would like to help with mapping. One question, would a registration point on the map help with alignment?

Arismath

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyis3l33t
we are learning! Give us time, this IS in beta forum
our goal:
to provide in-game maps for zones unexplored.
to provide waypoints and quest help for all zones. (with click to make wisp)

If you want to help get maps in game, do this.
1. Go into the zone you want a map for (preferably one we haven't already done ).
2. turn on logging (forgot exact command, something like /log on)
3. create a /loc macro, put it in your hotbar
4. run around the edges of the zone hitting your hotkey for /loc
5. either parse the log yourself, leaving only the /loc lines, or just post it if you dont know how to do that.
-------------------------------------------
6. If you know how to use an acad program, you can input all the coords into the program and create a connect the dots map. Connect them, make the zone lines/pillars in zone, mebbe water boundaries, bridges, etc.
7. Drop it in the blank map provided a few posts back by quib.
8. Post it! and give us permission to use it

anyone know how to make the eraser in adope photoshop a square? im kinda new with it
Unread 01-11-2005, 11:59 AM
a hedgehog

quib,

please post what you have! Since you seem to be the one who has taken over injecting all our work into the masterpiece
Unread 01-11-2005, 12:09 PM
A Griffon

Default vs

Here is a new VS map, pink background jpg and psd file. Hope this saves you some time and works well. Let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: zip vs.zip (684.7 KB, 247 views)
Unread 01-11-2005, 12:40 PM
a hedgehog

quib,
once you get the zonrect just right, are you forced to move the map itself if it does not match up position-wise (correct ratio, just wrong placement on blank map)??
Closed Thread