EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > XML Modification Help & Info

Unread 11-17-2006, 11:04 AM
A Grizzled Badger

Server: Kithicor
Default EQ2 UI for Dummies

Like the title say. I been trying to learn how to build a UI since real early 2005. No matter how much I read how to do it. It's just not sticking with me, terrible memory here.

I was wondering if any of the UI developers here, had ever thought of making a guide like EQ2 UI for dummies. Not only building the UI and how to locate things in the different XML's, but how to know set the size of the windows say to 1024x768 resolution, even though I use a smaller resolution in game compare to my desktop.

Also talk about making the graphics, I don't use photoshop, but i do have The Gimp installed.

I like to start off on window size and resize the default say to 50% to 75% reduction for a start. Then once i learned that and understand it, then to expand out from that.

I know i probably can more than likely do a search, but using the appropiate keywords to find what i need, I have trouble with that, get everything else but not what i'm looking for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because this is something I been wanting to learn how to do ever since january 2005.

If this is posted in the wrong forum, I'm sorry for that in adavance.
Unread 11-17-2006, 11:25 AM
A Forest Scavenger
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Nektulos

While I think this could be a good idea, maybe a collection of how to threads or a collection of blog entries on the subject, I don't see it as the quickest way for YOU to learn. What I have found about learning to create a UI ( and other computer/programming endeavors ) is first try to do something. It's a good idea to keep it small at first. Learning how to do that one thing will get you knowledge that is easier to remember because you didn't just read it, but you did it ( and maybe said some choice words out loud related to it ). That will help your retention and also probably fuel your thirst for more knowledge. That has been my experience anyway.

Once again, I think something along these lines would be a good idea. Good idea for some blog entries I think. Maybe a wiki about the different parts of the game UI? Good thoughts for people with more time to devote to it than I.
Unread 11-17-2006, 12:02 PM
A Griffon

Server: Lucan DLere

Deacon,

What type of mod would be a good start for someone with no knowledge of this sort of thing? In other words, if you were teaching a mod class and were to give out your first homework assignment what would it be?

I'm looking to add Click-to-Cure to the default player window without making any other changes. Is that too much or about just right for a newbie?

Also, would the UIBuilder be the best tool for newbie to start out with or is there something better?

Thanks for any advise that you can offer.
Unread 11-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

UIBuilder is the ONLY GUI tool for making EQ2 UIs that I know of.

It has it's problems, but its what SOE uses to make the default UI. Rumor is that an updated version will be coming down soon (and I can't wait for it heh).

As for the first assignment... the easiest thing would be to have someone add a new bit of data to say the persona window.

I say that because thats the first thing I did heh. It's simple, and gives you a look into how the UI works without going to deep too fast.
Unread 11-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Oasis

I would stay way from any thing that had templates.

A good window to start out with would be the eq2ui_mainhud_windowsettings.xml. It has just about all the UI pieces in it, So you would be able to stay with that window for quite some time. If you are looking for basic go with the death window.( but sux to test that one lol)
Unread 11-17-2006, 06:11 PM
A Grizzled Badger

k i'll check that out landiin.

Now I figure out how to do the math on the resizing, now i just got to figure out how to pick the correct thing to place the new size in. in the UI Builder.

But I will check out the eq2ui_mainhud_windowsettings.xml landiin.

What file would the hotbars be in, because i do want to reduce those down.
Unread 11-17-2006, 06:24 PM
A Griffon

Default Break it till it works!

I can't agree with deacon more! Just keep breaking things till they work.
Change small things at first, change a 5 to a 20, guess on what you think it will do, and test it. Rinse & Repeat.

I can't say enough about teaching oneself. Although, I think it would be very helpful for someone to make a blog with a series of entries as Deacon mentioned, or something similiar it still won't get you from point A to B.

For example, if there is something that you want to do with a UI, and you find an article or post on 'How To' do it, there is probably already a mod that you can download for it. So why do it over?

The fun part is doing stuff that no one has done before!
Unread 11-17-2006, 08:08 PM
A Grizzled Badger

I look at the individual pieces, and seen very few pieces that is updated for GU29 & EoF.

With what few pieces I added it's looking nicely slowly, but i just can't figure out how to open the info center, since it looks like a very informative piece. I'll post about that in the proper forum.

But still trying to figure out how to resize the hotbars, the UI's I look at especially the one that I always use since jan 05 I can't figure it out, the files i thought it would be like eq2ui_mainhud_hotkey.xml but the size is the same. What file would control the hotbars?
Unread 11-17-2006, 09:44 PM
A Griffon

Server: Runnyeye

Maybe just right click on the hotbar and select the icon size
Unread 11-24-2006, 05:37 PM
A Grizzled Badger

well what files do i need for that Laffs, because like the title said for this thread. the only thing i can do is download a interface piece and put it in place. as far as using the UI builder and editting the XML I'm a complete lost.

Trying to to attain the basic knowledge of how to build UI. A few authors i sent a pm to and ask how they did something in their UI, i understand how to do it, but i just can't do it, because of tyhe trouble i have with the UI builder and while looking at the XML in my crimson editor I'm lost. BTW I can build website in html which only took me like 2 1/2 years to learn how to do on my own. and I had read many XML tutorial the structure i understand but actually doing it thats where my mind draws a blank.

This is the same problem I'm having building a UI. I can read all there is to build, but when it comes to either build or edit something my mind comes to a blank.

Then as far as breaking things, I had messing around with the UI builder and not having a clue on what does what, and either have to shut my computer down or hit the reset button. then delete all of my files and try and start over, because i can't remeber what file it was controlled what and where at i had done the editting.
Unread 11-24-2006, 05:49 PM
A Griffon

Resizing the hotbars is part of the default ui (therefore, apart of every hotbar mod as well). Just right click on the hotbar and select Set Icon Size. No modding necessary.

As far as I can tell you might be better off not modding as it doesn't seem like your thing. I would probably just stick to using custom mods for now.