EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > ProfitUI

Unread 02-23-2014, 09:40 AM
A Griffon

Server: Valor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denavin View Post
Does anybody read the post in this fourm? I am not the only one that has had a problem with a system cleaners breaking the updater. Read post #44 Therendil has also had a system cleaner break the updater so its not just my system.

Ok fine you don't think its the updater. But I never had a problem till you changed the updater to this new one. I have used Kaspersky's Rescue Disk 10 to do a boot level scan and found NOTHING!!!

But when I run CCleaner or Iobit Advanced SystemCare which both have a registry cleaning function then Profit updater will not work and I must move the install location to get it to work again. Then the next time I clean my system I again have to move the instlation location. I am having to move it at least once a week or every time I use a system cleaner.

It is NOT a virus....

It is NOT mallware....

It is a problem with where and how Profit updater stores its keys and other configuration info that is either being put in a volital location or not tied to a program so that when I run a system cleaner there is nothing that can be associated with the updater thus it is being deleted. Only guessing here, I do not know what is being deleted or from where.

If you can give me the locations of all the configuration variables and their registry keys then I may be able to find what and where things are going wrong. Since I do not know the names or location of registry keys or other configuration variables it is hard for me to do my own investigation. I have searched but I am hunting blind. I would rather not DUMP Profit and goto somthing else but since I am getting very little help here I may be forced to do just that.

I am angry because first of all I do not like trying to trouble shoot via fourms. Then when I do the answers I get are not only way off the mark they make assumptions that are in no way correct.

Stop assuming that my systme is infected with a virus.
Download CCleaner and / or Iobit Advanced SystemCare they are both free and run the tests yourself then you wont need to know my system. Do this and see if you can duplicate the error, if not then please supply me with the info I requested so I can do my own investigation.

Sorry for the rant....
Quote:
Yes I also use CCleaner but I will not tell it to leave Java crap in the temp folder since Java is an open back door to my system, it all goes. Instead fix the updater.

Yay!! There are inteligent poeple on this fourm who understand how winstupid works after all. Somebody finaly read what I said instead of assuming that it was a virus / mallware!!
I actually do not feel like investing much more time into this as you already got all information needed.

As per post #41 settings are stored in the registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\de\pala\updater) via Javas Preferences implementation for Windows.

The application uses %temp% at runtime to extract and launch itself. This is because of the classloader is keeping up a file lock on accessed files which would make self updating not work.

I will certainly not install any system cleaning software, as they tend to break things badly (as shown). Windows is capable of cleaning up temporary files itself and on modern systems with Gigs and Gigs of RAM there is absolutely no need to clean up the registry. Also the cleaner cannot know which keys belong to which software as there simply is no hard link between software and registry keys and no way to find abandoned data.

And to quote myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldran View Post
Just jumping in quickly to note that there are no security concerns with Java applications themselves, just with the browser plugins. They are usually restricted and do not allow system access. However due to several bugs you can inject malicious code which is not restricted by this sandbox anymore.

Local installed java applications do have system access anyways (up to the users current rights level), so if they want to manipulate your system, they can do that like any other application can do.

Actually it would be way harder to infect your system with a Java application, as there is no easy way to elevate user rights (showing the UAC prompt for admin access) from within the Java VM.
Unread 02-23-2014, 12:18 PM
A Brown Bear
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Crushbone

Easy fix really just add the updaters file paths to the exceptions list in the cleaners you are using and your AV software. Mind you I don't understand the need for someone to be using cleaning software so aggressively unless you download pirate software all the time in which case thats the root of all the problems you will ever have with your PC.
Unread 02-23-2014, 02:12 PM
A Griffon

Server: Unrest

Just to check, I tried the expedient of manually deleting .jpf-shadow from AppData/Local/Temp. The updater runs fine, it just restores .jpf-shadow and it's contents. So deleting .jpf-shadow won't break anything as long as you don't delete it while the updater's actually running.
Unread 02-23-2014, 10:31 PM
A Griffon

I run CCleaner on a regular basis simply because it simplifies and speeds up the task of removing accumulated junk by scanning system temp folders, browser caches, and other transient dumps in one operation. It is certainly a *lot* faster than Disk Cleanup in Windows, especially under WinXP.

FWIW, I also use the registry cleaner and I have never had that break anything.

I've been running CCleaner with Java excluded for over a year now. It's possible that current versions of Java store things differently and would not be bothered by CCleaner. It's equally possible that current versions of CCleaner are better behaved.

I also could not tell you right offhand if the problem happened under Win7, WinXP, or both. It's been long enough that I don't remember.

In any case, the new updater works fine. Other than having to reset some preferences once, I haven't had any issues. It seems a bit faster than the old one and runs reliably without throwing exceptions.

-= Therendil =-
Unread 02-25-2014, 05:06 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Antonia Bayle
Send a message via MSN to Ken1985
Question eror log

With the new updater I always get a notification that he can't update several files. this is the log:

d.p.u.s.core.model.Downloader - Exception on file manipulation
java.nio.file.AccessDeniedException: C:\Program Files (x86)\EVERQUEST 2\UI\ProfitUI\eq2ui_journals_quest.xml
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.7.0_51]
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.7.0_51]
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.7.0_51]
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileCopy.move(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.7.0_51]
at sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystemProvider.move(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.7.0_51]
at java.nio.file.Files.move(Unknown Source) ~[na:1.7.0_51]
at de.pala.updater.services.core.model.Downloader.run(Downloader.java:102) ~[na:na]
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source) [na:1.7.0_51]
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source) [na:1.7.0_51]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source) [na:1.7.0_51]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) [na:1.7.0_51]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) [na:1.7.0_51]

Anyone an idea how I can solve this?

Regards
Unread 02-25-2014, 07:21 PM
A Griffon

Server: Unrest

That's system protection in Windows 7. It blocks anything but signed installers from changing things in the "C:\Program Files" and "C:\Program Files (x86)" folders. The solution is to move your game somewhere else, eg. under "C:\ProgramData" (where the EQ2 installer puts it by default now) or C:\Games or the like.
Unread 02-26-2014, 12:01 AM
A Griffon

Server: Valor

Alternatively launch the updater with administrator rights. This should not be a permanent solution though.

(Will catch the exception and show a popup in the next version)
Unread 02-27-2014, 10:19 AM
A Crazed Gnoll

Server: Crushbone

Quote:
I am getting tired of the Peice of Sh.t not working. AGAIN I have to move the F...ing install location FIX THIS SH.T!!!

This time it was Iobit Advanded System Care that broke this crap updater. I figured if CCleaner was causing a problem I would use a different system cleaner. Well guess what the same sh.t happend again, and it is not the files kept in the temp folder they are still there but the F...ing update still will not work. I suspect that the Regestry cleaner is deleting a key, not sure. Would be nice if you would find out what the issue is already.

You need to either go back to the old system ( that worked ) or come up with a better way of doing the update, preferabley one that works!

I have to give kudos to Kaldran, Therendil, and tknarr for continuing to look into Denavin's problem after this post because I certainly wouldn't have.

Denavin, you did not pay for anything ProfitUI related. These people do not get paid to do what they are doing. They volunteer their time from their busy schedules and do it for free. You appear to be the only one that is having this problem and it cannot be replicated. So in my mind, and my mind alone, you don't like the program? Don't use it!
Unread 02-27-2014, 02:31 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Antonia Bayle
Send a message via MSN to Ken1985
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldran View Post
Alternatively launch the updater with administrator rights. This should not be a permanent solution though.

(Will catch the exception and show a popup in the next version)
thx for the advice! I changed preference to run permanently as administrator and it immediately updated everything.