EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Chit-Chat

Unread 08-05-2017, 01:49 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Unkown
Default How do I replace an ingame sound?

I dont know where to really post this question, so testing here.

Im currently looking to replace one annoying spellcasting sound that the Channeler is making.
Its the one sound when they are casting their Arrows, the channelingsound.

I have located the sound by using a program called eq2vpktool.
I have read in other places that you can infact "replace" a sound simply by taking another one that you like better and naming it the same thing as the one you want to replace.

I have found 2 ways of doing it...placing it here..

%EQ2%/UI/Sounds

%EQ2%/UI/<skinname>/Sounds

When I use eq2vpktool the directory is..
sounds/spells/spell_sounds_2013

Anyway, I have tried every possible way that Ive read to make this to work.
I have put it in UI/sounds...in my UI folder and sound. Ive even tried to use the exact same folders that the tool says its in.
Ive added the bluddy sound everywhere and still it wont use it.
I read about a guy in a very old thread that wanted help with a sound and he got this advice.
Am I doing it completly wrong?..why cant my game "use" the new .wav file instead?
Unread 08-05-2017, 11:44 PM
A Griffon

Server: Oasis

I'm guessing this is the thread you read? http://eq2interface.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2692
Unread 08-07-2017, 01:18 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Yes that is the one.
But it doesnt seem to work and I dont know if the dude got it working or not.
Unread 08-13-2017, 02:56 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

No one that can help with this?
Unread 08-21-2017, 01:57 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

I have never tried to replace a game sound. I have only done custom music. I don't know if sounds would use the same protocol, but here's how it works for music if you want to experiment.

You can replace any piece of music in the game by creating a folder called 'custom music' in the game directory. You then find the sound you want to replace and note the full directory path. Create that same nest of folders in 'custom music' and put the replacement music file there. Be sure to give it exactly the same name as the original. The game client apparently always checks to see if there is custom music before loading the default. I used this trick to play the Freeport GH music in our Qeynos GH.

As I say, I don't know if this works for sounds, but it may be worth a try. Since anything you put into the regular sounds folder will be replaced with the next patch, it seems reasonable to try making a 'custom sounds' folder.

-= Therendil =-
Unread 12-13-2017, 11:17 AM
A Coastal Crab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thererndil View Post
I have never tried to replace a game sound. I have only done custom music. I don't know if sounds I would recommend the Bathmate same protocol, but here's how it works for music if you want to experiment.

You can replace any piece of music in the game by creating a folder called 'custom music' in the game directory. You then find the sound you want to replace and note the full directory path. Create that same nest of folders in 'custom music' and put the replacement music file there. Be sure to give it exactly the same name as the original. The game client apparently always checks to see if there is custom music before loading the default. I used this trick to play the Freeport GH music in our Qeynos GH.

As I say, I don't know if this works for sounds, but it may be worth a try. Since anything you put into the regular sounds folder will be replaced with the next patch, it seems reasonable to try making a 'custom sounds' folder.

-= Therendil =-
I had no idea changing default music to custom was that easy. Thanks for the knowledge bomb, Therendil.

Last edited by KurtisWy : 10-14-2019 at 01:56 AM.