EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP > EQ2Map Troubleshooting

Unread 05-16-2010, 07:31 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Map updater wont launch

Downloaded and installed auto updating version of map updater but I cant get it to run. It pulls up a file directory and asks me to "select my eq2.exe file and gives me a list of files...I dont know what to do with. I've never encountered this on any other computer I've installed it on.
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:03 PM
A Brown Bear

Default ???

sO I CHOSE A random file and it opened the program and I now get this error....

Error Opening Database File: mscorlib
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, DirectorySecurity dirSecurity)
at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path, DirectorySecurity directorySecurity)
at EQ2MAPUpdater.MainWindow.DownloadUpdates()Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\EQ2MAP Updater\cache\' is denied.
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:07 PM
A Coastal Crab

Server: Unkown

You're supposed to browse to the EverQuest installation directory, and select the eq2.exe file, not a random file.
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:34 PM
A Brown Bear

Yeah, I understand that, But there isnt an eq2.exe file to be found anywhere So what then???
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk2029 View Post
Yeah, I understand that, But there isnt an eq2.exe file to be found anywhere So what then???
Look for launcher.exe then. EQ2.exe is the old style patcher, Launcher.exe is the streaming patcher. I forget what the Station patcher's name is.

As for the access denied issue -- see the sticky. Run as an admin.
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:53 PM
A Brown Bear

I have set the map updater to run in the same location as the station launcher but it pops up with something asking for a name and password and I have no clue what that's about. Does it make a difference if I'm trying to install but dont have the full EQ2 game installed, this pc only has the free trial installed, I'm thinking that might be it, but I seem to remember installing it no problem on my other compter when all I had was the free trial.
Unread 05-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Free trial should have nothing to do with it. I'm not sure why you're getting something asking for a username and password.

Is it opening the actual EQ2 client with the username and password? That can happen if you have the updater pointed to everquest2.exe for both instead of pointing to the patcher for the auto-launch option.
Unread 05-17-2010, 04:12 AM
EQ2MAP Developer
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Splitpaw

Are you sure its eq2.exe ?
It should ask for everquest2.exe if it can't find it in your regestry.
You can use windows search function to search for it, then browse the same way.
Unread 05-17-2010, 06:44 AM
A Brown Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordebon View Post
Free trial should have nothing to do with it. I'm not sure why you're getting something asking for a username and password.

Is it opening the actual EQ2 client with the username and password? That can happen if you have the updater pointed to everquest2.exe for both instead of pointing to the patcher for the auto-launch option.
It opens what looks like a windows name/password box which is why im confused, i tried entering the station handle and password and that didnt work...and i tried the windows name and password and that didnt work either. I've never had this much problem with it before. Guess I have to uninstall and try again.
Unread 05-17-2010, 06:47 AM
A Brown Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnils View Post
Are you sure its eq2.exe ?
It should ask for everquest2.exe if it can't find it in your regestry.
You can use windows search function to search for it, then browse the same way.
Yes, it asks for eq2.exe and then opens a file directory for me to search for it, and i looked on the station launcher for where the actual game was installed and its under ProgramData, and I cant find that file anywhere, if I type the whole thing in "c:\ProgramData/Sony Online Entertainment/Installed Games\EQ2 yadda yadda, then it comes up, and has nothing in the folder for me to choose.
Unread 05-17-2010, 07:51 AM
A Brown Bear

This is the login box that comes up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mapproblem.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	7246  
Unread 05-17-2010, 08:10 AM
A Brown Bear

I am trying to install the manual update version instead and now I need to know how to create the eq2.ini file, using vista, the instructions in the FAQ are for XP, And the very first thing it says to do is open "my computer" but there isnt any such thing in vista. Does anyone know how to do this using vista?
Unread 05-17-2010, 08:53 AM
A Griffon

[quote=rk2029;90459]I am trying to install the manual update version instead and now I need to know how to create the eq2.ini file, using vista, the instructions in the FAQ are for XP, And the very first thing it says to do is open "my computer" but there isnt any such thing in vista. Does anyone know how to do this using vista?[/QUOTE

on windows 7 its just called Computer and all that does is show you your hard drives and DVD drives ect. should be same for Vista
Unread 05-17-2010, 09:06 AM
EQ2MAP Developer

Thanx for the picture.
First it looks like you have installed the updater in to your UI folder
Everquest2/UI/EQ2MAP
Please use the default path instead when you install the updater.
Second, if you look at the Window title on the file selector it clearly states
Select your everquest2.exe file.

The password window im not sure about , have never seen it before, but you should right click and select run it as admin to get it to work.
Unread 05-17-2010, 10:34 AM
A Brown Bear

I guess I just dont know what select your eq2.exe file means because when that file window pops up, I dont know what to select. And nothing will open. Am I missing something that's in plain sight>??
Unread 05-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Quote:
I guess I just dont know what select your eq2.exe file means because when that file window pops up, I dont know what to select. And nothing will open. Am I missing something that's in plain sight>??
Everquest2.exe and EQ2.exe are _not_ the same thing, and you seem to be confusing them. The screenshot you provided shows it asking for Everquest2.exe, which is the actual game executable (and thus is included no matter what patcher you use). EQ2.exe is the file name for the original game style launcher (no longer available for download, it's the one that used to come on the retail CDs and was downloadable in the past).

Everquest2.exe will be in your main Everquest2 folder. There is literally no way you can not have that file and yet be playing EQ2.

As for the login screen, not sure why it's trying to log into EQ2MAP. Maybe it's because of where you have those files -- the autoupdater should not be installed inside of your Everquest2 folder or any of it's subfolders, the autoupdater should be installed in it's own folder. When run, it will then find your EQ2 install (that's why it's asking you to find everquest2.exe) and properly install the maps to there.
Unread 05-17-2010, 11:54 AM
A Brown Bear

Ok, I let the updater install in the default location, and opened it and scanned/downloaded all the maps/POIs but when I run the game and try to look at the map, all I see is the standard game map.
Unread 05-17-2010, 12:36 PM
A Crazed Gnoll

Server: Unkown

Not sure what you are looking for or looking at. But EQ2Maps does not change the way the map looks. It just adds POIs to the map, a better search feature and adds maps not in the game (if someone has made them). I hope this helps some.
Unread 05-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Quote:
Ok, I let the updater install in the default location, and opened it and scanned/downloaded all the maps/POIs but when I run the game and try to look at the map, all I see is the standard game map.
You should see the standard map but with more POIs (and with maps for more zones). If you're not seeing the POIs, then you are likely playing the game from a different install of EQ2 then the one the updater is installing EQ2MAP in.
Unread 05-17-2010, 04:59 PM
A Griffon

Server: Unrest

or he has old map system checked?

Not sure if the POIS display when using the old map system. Its options user interface map window theres a few boxes there that can be selected.
Unread 05-17-2010, 05:23 PM
EQ2MAP Developer

Don't think so, the updater checks your setting and warns you if old system is checked.