EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP

Unread 04-01-2005, 09:27 PM
A Coastal Crab

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default "EQ2Map is an illegal hack"

I really loved this UI mod. I've been using it for a little over a week and I wish it had been around since the launch of EQ2 when I started playing. When I first installed it and saw it ingame I was like "OMG just in the newbie catacombs alone this would have saved me so much time." Just not having to flip over to a web based map or thumb through the strat guide is an amazing time saver! (thanks)

[yesterday]
So, I sent a copy over to my buddy and told him to use it. He was a little skiddish about it and asked a GM online if there was any problems with using it. The GM said it was an "illegal hack" and he would really love to know where it was downloaded from.

[today]
I had to laugh a bit and sent my bud the link to this evil hacker site here.

He checked back with a GM today and got the same response and the GM supposedly took a look at this site. The GM said the same thing and then said he was going to go consult with two other GM's. After this big GM pow-wow, he came back saying they all agreed (3 GM's) that EQ2Map is an illegal hack. If it matters for anyone playing on the server in question that wants to check up on this with the local GM's, this was on the Highkeep server.

Now unless I'm totally wrong, I know the following:
1) EQ2Map adds custom maps into the client side of EQ2
2) EQ2Map was only created by the SOE provided UI tool
3) Using EQ2Map is no different than having a zone map next to you on your desk
4) If EQ2Map was really an "illegal hack" a "cease and dissist" letter would have been sent out from SOE weeks ago and this board would have been shut down

<<personal attacks removed>>

Anyway, how do I put my friends mind at ease so he can start using this excellent UI mod?

Thanks!

Last edited by Dolby : 04-03-2005 at 07:11 PM.
Unread 04-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Do you have the names of the GM's and the time they were talking with you?

If you read the original development thread of EQ2MAP you can see some official hints.
http://www.eq2interface.com/forums/s...=5518#post5518
http://www.eq2interface.com/forums/s...=5883#post5883

The only thing different EQ2MAP has then from a custom interface is that it comes with an auto updater you run before you load eq2 so you have the latest version of it. The program does not run while you play eq2 and the files it downloads go directly into your custom UI folder.

Sent an email to one of the interface dev's to maybe get an official comment.
edit: Mr.Bobble is on vacation at the moment but should be back soon.

If this was illegal we would not be supporting it and SOE would let us know this.

Last edited by Dolby : 04-01-2005 at 10:21 PM. Reason: last edit for spelling
Unread 04-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

Here is the reply I recieved.

Quote:
Hey, Tom. Thanks for sending this over.

That looks like a poor choice of april fools' joke from a first-time poster looking to stir people up, if you're asking me. I can't imagine that our CS folks would say anything bad about it.

What they'd do is bring it up to their their lead, who would bring it up at a live meeting before making policy statements. It's actually just a bit more professional around here, and not at all like the original poster describes. ("a big GM pow wow" between "idiots?") Gimme a break.

It just sounds like he dislikes GMs for some reason, which is a shame. Our GMs bust their asses to help make EQ2 a great service.

EQ2MAP is definitely a bit of a spoiler, and it's probably not the kind of thing we'd put in the default skin.

That doesn't change the fact that it's a really clever mod -- the kind we encourage. The last time I checked it doesn't hack the client or hurt anyone else's play. Like other mods that fit those rules, it's just fine.

That's why I use it on my home comp, my girlfriend has it on her laptop, and at least three other friends use it too.

Take care, and our thanks to the authors.

- Scott

Feel free to quote any or all of this if you like. The fact that we have an active, healthy modding community is very important to us, and we thank you for taking care of it.

____
Scott Hartsman
Senior Producer, EverQuest II
Sony Online Entertainment
Unread 04-03-2005, 09:13 PM
Steward of the Faithful
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Now, I'm not going to state nor am I going to imply that GMs are malicious. Nor will I state or imply that they're unintelligent. But the fact remains that they answer a lot of petitions every day, and they're bound to make some mistakes and some bad calls. I've personally seen them make some very big mistakes in numerous cases (anybody remember the bug that gave you the wrong tradeskill sub-class selection options?) While I do appreciate Scott's answer (and it's so cool that he uses {at least one of} the mods from EQ2Interface) I think he may be viewing the situation through rose-colored glasses. My $0.02.
Unread 04-03-2005, 09:28 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ger
I've personally seen them make some very big mistakes in numerous cases (anybody remember the bug that gave you the wrong tradeskill sub-class selection options?)
What do GM's have to do with bugs?
They have to work with in the rules they are told to. Many get a job as GM's to get there foot in the gaming industries door not for the money.

Ugh now this thread is going turn into a GM debate. just great.

Last edited by Dolby : 04-03-2005 at 09:35 PM. Reason: fixed spellering
Unread 04-03-2005, 10:26 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

Quick! Lock it while you can!
Unread 04-03-2005, 10:30 PM
A Green Troll
Featured

Server: Blackburrow
Send a message via Yahoo to Zonx

So funny... Scott prety much said what I said, they know how to reach this site's admin if they have an issue with a mod, they like what we're doing and literally encourage mods like EQ2MAP. Better yet, they use it themselves
Unread 04-03-2005, 10:47 PM
A Griffon

Send a message via AIM to Humudce

Dolby,

Thank You I appreciate you posting Scott H's Reply about the issue. From the very first post I have to agree with him that this was a very clever and foolish April Fools joke gone wrong. I have spoken with a lot of SoE folks over the years with EQ1 and now EQ2. And don't believe that they don't download or share and use our Mods. I'm sure due to legal issues they can not use these mods at the offices at SoE but nothing holds them back from using them at home on their personal time and on their characters not directly under Corporate Control.

His reply should be quoted to anyone trying to say that this is a Hack, or something that will get you banned. It is just a very clever Mod and is not too much different if you went to any other site and downloaded and printed maps out for these zones.

A lot of our mods are very clever mods, and sure probably not something SoE would put in the default UI.

My 2cp.

[Guild Leader] Tiggler is my Main, Humudce is my Alt on Blackburrow.
Unread 04-03-2005, 11:51 PM
Steward of the Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby
What do GM's have to do with bugs?
They have to work with in the rules they are told to. Many get a job as GM's to get there foot in the gaming industries door not for the money.

Ugh now this thread is going turn into a GM debate. just great.
Not trying to start a debate or anything, just saying that the GM's knowledge and abilities have been both over- and understated here. And they have to do with that bug in that they were the ones who were supposed to flag players for the reset shrine that was added to fix that specific bug. Anyway, that's my piece and I've said it.

Edit: in all fairness, I should clearly state that I've had as many good experiences with GMs as bad. In a nutshell, they're like any other tech support—sometimes you get the good ones, sometimes you don't.

Last edited by ger : 04-04-2005 at 12:05 AM.
Unread 04-06-2005, 09:47 AM
EQ2MAP Webmaster

Server: Unkown
Send a message via Skype™ to Eloa

Hey Scott, got any job openings? hehehe....
Unread 04-07-2005, 05:02 PM
A Griffon

Server: Unrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ger
Not trying to start a debate or anything, just saying that the GM's knowledge and abilities have been both over- and understated here. And they have to do with that bug in that they were the ones who were supposed to flag players for the reset shrine that was added to fix that specific bug. Anyway, that's my piece and I've said it.

Edit: in all fairness, I should clearly state that I've had as many good experiences with GMs as bad. In a nutshell, they're like any other tech support—sometimes you get the good ones, sometimes you don't.
Aye. GMs make mistakes too. I've had them not know about bugs replied to by Moorgard in the official forums. When I talked to them about the mobs being invunerable to attack bug they had for about 1 week after LU5, the GM had no idea what I was talking about. He was quite friendly and I didn't expect him to take any action on my complaint but the bug was annoying to me so I petitioned it. With as many GMs as there probably are, I'm sure its quite difficult to get information that changes daily to GMs so that they can absorb it and properly respond to petitions from people like me who already know the answer.
Unread 04-07-2005, 05:04 PM
A Griffon

Send a message via AIM to Humudce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloa
Hey Scott, got any job openings? hehehe....
LoL I'm wondering the same thing.

[Guild Leader] Tiggler is my Main, Humudce is my Alt on Blackburrow.
Unread 04-07-2005, 06:00 PM
A Fallen Diplomat

Server: Befallen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humudce
LoL I'm wondering the same thing.
NO! then you couldn't make us wonder and clever mods..

/selfish
Unread 04-08-2005, 03:18 AM
Crushbone - Cronique

Server: Crushbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hartsman
That's why I use it on my home comp, my girlfriend has it on her laptop, and at least three other friends use it too.
This made my day Scott!!

All of us have pitched in what we could to make the maps and interface, not just for us, but for anyone who wanted it.

Thank you Dolby for posting that.