EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Site Forums > EQ2Interface News

Unread 08-13-2011, 12:32 AM
Credendo Vides
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

Default The SOE Authenticator - Now Available at SOE.com!

Announced at Fan Faire 2011, the SOE Authenticator offers added account security to SOE Station Accounts.

The SOE Authenticator is a supplemental authentication method for your Station Account giving you the security of Two-Factor Authentication. This additional layer of security is designed to help thwart and prevent unauthorized access to your account. The SOE Authenticator provides you with a unique, one-time authenticator code (PIN) to use in conjunction with your regular password.

How's it work? Each time you log in to any SOE game, you will enter your regular password, then press the button on the SOE Authenticator, and enter the six digit number after your password. The system requires your regular password and the authenticator code to match to access your account, so no one can get into your account without both knowing your password and having your physical SOE Authenticator in their hand.

The SOE Authenticator physical token is now on sale for all SOE players for $9.99 USD, which includes shipping and handling for domestic US orders. (Shipping and handling for purchases outside the US will incur an additional fee.) Authenticators are currently shipping around 2-3 weeks after purchase.

For those looking for an alternate way to gain account security, a mobile SOE Authenticator is in the works and will be available for FREE for iPhone and Android.

Have questions? Read more about the SOE Authenticator in our FAQs.

Source
Unread 08-13-2011, 11:13 PM
A Berserk Golem

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Just saying....

We have to BUY the only sure way of preventing our accounts from being hacked?? As a person who had their account hacked twice I hold SOE totally responsible both times. There's no assurance a hacker will not break SOE's security codes in the future. If that happens and I do NOT have the numeric code will *I* be held responsible for any hacking into my account?? I think not. SOE needs to gain our confidence again and send out the numeric security measure FREE OF CHARGE.

Just saying...

Sacraed
Unread 08-13-2011, 11:33 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacraed View Post
As a person who had their account hacked twice I hold SOE totally responsible both times.
Considering - if you ignore the PSN breach - that accounts never actually get hacked, instead login information is obtained via social engineering & phishing or keylogging, and sometimes possibly via guessing of trivial passwords, all of which are in your area of responsibility, that's quite a bold statement. Oh, and I never had any type of account "hacked" ever. Go figure.
Unread 08-17-2011, 04:48 PM
A Berserk Golem

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Numeric security

I have security up the wazoo and back to prevent hackers, key counting,etc.. It wasn't MY programs that allowed the hacking to take place.

I created a toon on Crushbone (I'm on Faydark>Befallen>Oasis) and found 3x36 strongboxes in the starting area bank. Who did that? Not me. There are still aspects of the hack that I would love to investigate.

As far as I'm concerned I've already paid for security and behaved responsibly. When a person goes onto a construction site full of danger and they wear a hard hat, steel toed boots and safety goggles you don't expect to be hit by an intruder with a shovel.

These new key cards would be great if they worked universally and not just for Sony. I'd buy them in a heartbeat
Unread 08-19-2011, 12:55 AM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Have played EQ2 full time since beta and never been hacked (goes with all the other mmo's I've tried). I hate authenticators and won't use them.

A good username and password is almost as good (use symbol, numbers and some caps longer than 8 char). Never use the same username and password for your MMO on any other site and download the free MS Security Essentials and keep adobe flash and acrobat updated or uninstalled since most keyloggers target older versions of that software via ads to infect your system. you'll be good to go.

Plus if you have a keylogger on your system once you enter in enough codes they can figure out the key to your authenticator, remove the authenticator from your account using the key and set a password of their choice.

Last edited by Dolby : 08-19-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Unread 08-19-2011, 01:26 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Unrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Plus if you have a keylogger on your system once you enter in enough codes they can figure out the key to your authenticator, remove the authenticator from your account using the key and set a password of their choice.
They don't even need to see enough codes via a keylogger. The recent penetration of Lockheed came about from an earlier penetration this spring at RSA that compromised the SecureID hardware tokens. To resecure the system, RSA had to reissue every token based on their SecureID system.
Unread 08-19-2011, 09:17 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Yes, but the point of tokens is not that they actually work, but that they make people feel secure and make the company look pro-active, that's all.