Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP

Unread 04-19-2005, 07:21 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Antonia Bayle
Unhappy Updater development temporarily postponed

When i came home today i was greeted by a dead hard drive. if/until i can afford to get the data recovered from the hard drive i have no way to continue developing the updater for eq2map. im not sure how much it costs to recover data from hard drives but i doubt its cheap and the hard drive had a little over 200gb of data on it so it is probably too expensive for me to afford so it looks like .97 is the final version of the updater.

EDIT: i was able to recover the source, now i just have to get a new drive(my warrenty just expired 2 months ago).

Last edited by taco-man : 04-20-2005 at 09:36 AM.
Unread 04-19-2005, 07:36 PM
A Griffon

Server: Unkown

Noooooooooooooooooo

All the reputable disk recovery companies will give you a free evaluation, and if disk recovery is not possible, there will be no charge. Kinda like no-pass, no-charge smog stations ;-)

So best bet is to look up a disk recover-er, take tha drive to them and say, gimme my data! how much! then they look at it and say XX dollars, IF we can do it.

PS: There seems to be a nifty article here:pcstats.com regarding Disk Recovery.

Last edited by dc_roenfanz : 04-19-2005 at 07:46 PM.
Unread 04-19-2005, 07:45 PM
A Griffon

Ack! And I feel your pain, I've lost much important programming thanks to failing harddrives (I miss you Ever-Bot source code!).

If you decide that you can't afford paying a data recovery service, consider the following last ditch data recovery method:
1) put the dead HD in 2 or 3 ziplock bags
2) put the HD in freezer for 2 or 3 hours
3) remove from freezer and immediately hook up to computer (that's been off for a while and is cooled down)

This will occasionally get you 2-3 minutes of time to grab data off the HD before it dies again and will often make any data recovery thereafter impossible.

Quib
Unread 04-19-2005, 07:47 PM
A Griffon

Server: Runnyeye

Are the platters stuck? If its making a clicking noise then they are I have got one working again to recover data by giving the side of it a sharp tap with the handle of a medium sized screwdriver lol

Or if the pcb is blown.. You can find a drive of the same make and model and swap the pcb's over done that before as well.... some make's are more sensitive than other's ie normaly most WD drives are compatable with other WD models... where as IBM stuff is very choosey...
Unread 04-19-2005, 07:57 PM
A Griffon

Regarding that nifty article, it is very well written. So what kinda "dead" are we talking about? Just wont boot up? you can prolly add it to another machine and gleam data from it. No other machine available? (ok im assuming there is, because you were able to post in the first place) You can also get a DOS boot disk (ie Floppy) and work it from there. Consult that artcle I was talkin about. its berry nice.

D

PS: Good luck
Unread 04-19-2005, 08:08 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

it doesnt make any noise or anything, it shows up in my computer but it cant access it and if i look at the properties it says it has 0/0 bytes of space and that the format is RAW . if i try and open it, it tells me that the disk isnt formatted, or sometimes it says it cant access the device bad parameter.
Unread 04-19-2005, 08:25 PM
A Coastal Crab

Easy to fix.

Get r-studio and recover it. The only problem is that you will have to buy it to recover anything larger then 64k. However, You can get the demo so you can atleast see that it works.

I have seen this program work several miracle recoveries so I feel fairly confident it will fix you right up.

http://www.data-recovery-software.ne...oad.shtml#demo

Mind you this only works if you disks actually spins. It does work even if it is a minor hardware fairlure so long as it can read something. I would give it a shot.

Then, after you have recovered it, I would suggest making a backup hehe (atleast email the source to a close friend after large updates or something)
Unread 04-19-2005, 08:36 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco-man
it doesnt make any noise or anything, it shows up in my computer but it cant access it and if i look at the properties it says it has 0/0 bytes of space and that the format is RAW . if i try and open it, it tells me that the disk isnt formatted, or sometimes it says it cant access the device bad parameter.
Edit: Ignore everything I said and listen to the guy underneath me. Heh. He gots moor edukayshon den me gots.

D

Last edited by dc_roenfanz : 04-19-2005 at 11:25 PM.
Unread 04-20-2005, 08:30 AM
Crushbone - Cronique

Server: Crushbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco-man

Yeah brother, it does sound like the partition table was wiped. All the info should be there. This has happened to me a few times. I ended up getting a partition freeware boot disk, rebooting onto it, rebuilding it by hand.. not all the files, just the partition info. When I rebooted, all the files where there.

The program was Randish or something like that.
Unread 04-19-2005, 09:46 PM
A Coastal Crab

Default I can recover data using my software

Hey man I think what you got going here is great. There have been many times that I didnt know where to find a NPC and got frustrated asking people where they are. Now with this new database collection I can just look it up and go.

I have data recovering software, and I can recover most files using an advanced scan on the hard drive. Data recovery takes place at the ghost level partition of the hard drive. Often time you can recover missing files that you need, but you can't really fully recover system files and settings or partitions. I have recovered a partition and the system files before but the system was all corrupted and didnt run right. The files on the other hand were complete and in working order.

email me: [email protected]
or msn: [email protected]
AIM: hercules6969