EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > Wish List

Unread 10-07-2008, 02:55 AM
A Brown Bear

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default /viewport

I know this has been requested by many people, so I am surprised to see no Wish List entry for this. I would really, really like to see the /viewport command from EQ1 introduced into EQ2. The letterboxing we currently have is simply unsatisfactory for me, as well as many others.

For those unfamiliar with the /viewport command, what it does is it resizes the rendered 3D world to specified dimensions and then moves starts rendering it at a given pixel location. This makes it so that you have black on the screen outside of the rendered world, while the rendered world centers the camera in the middle of it, regardless of it's location on the screen. The letterboxing does the former already, as it does not render anything that appears under the black, but we cannot resize it horizontally. We also cannot move the location on the screen, therefore causing a percieved distortion of the camera location if we border one side but not the opposite side equally. Sorry if that was too complicated, for some reason I just can't dumb this down. My personal example below might help.

I run EQ2 in 1280x1024, and I prefer all of my gameplay UI elements on the right side of the screen, with all my chat elements across the bottom. Currently, if I did this, the center of the camera would be very close to the bottom right corner of the viewable area not taken up by UI elements, meaning my character is completely off center from where my instincts tell me he should be. With the /viewport command, I would be able to tell the game to start rendering the world at 0, 0 (the top left corner) and render it at 1024x768. The game would than render the world at the desired resolution, leaving a large black border across the bottom and right side of the screens, 256 pixels wide (1280-1024=256, 1024-768=256). The world would be rendered just as if I was running EQ2 in 1024x768, meaning the center of the camera would be at ~512x384. I would then be able to put my whole UI across the black border without covering up any of the game world.

I believe that everybody who thinks this should be implemented should /feedback it. That doesn't just apply to this, but to everything you think should be added. Hopefully the more popular requests flood the feedback enough that they would be hard to ignore.
Unread 10-07-2008, 03:13 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taraun View Post
The letterboxing does the former already, as it does not render anything that appears under the black, but we cannot resize it horizontally.
Just FYI, that is not true. The current letterbox is simply a black interface window covering up the rendered 3D world below, it does not resize the viewport.
Unread 10-07-2008, 09:41 AM
A Brown Bear

Well, that may be true, but according to the description in the options menu, it says that it does not render that which is behind it (not that the descriptions for things are always accurate). If that's true, it'd be extremely similar, I'd imagine it to at least be similar, if not the same, as resizing the viewport. I'll double check the description as soon as I log in.
Unread 10-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Slayer of clock cycles
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Oasis
Send a message via ICQ to Landiin Send a message via AIM to Landiin Send a message via MSN to Landiin Send a message via Yahoo to Landiin

In EQ /viewport would actually resizes the scene to fit the new dimensions of the viewport. In EQ2 it crops the scene instead of resizing it.

Last edited by Landiin : 10-07-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Unread 10-07-2008, 09:58 AM
A Brown Bear

Ah, ok. So it'll be a little more work than I was anticipating. Hopefully, after they get some of the more prominent things out of the way (such as the DynamicData for avoidance) they could finally push this out, though.
Unread 08-18-2009, 04:08 PM
A Brown Bear

Just returning to EQ2 (still waiting for it to patch... it's been at it for over 20 hours now), so I thought I'd just ask and see: has the game seen an introduction of /viewport yet?
Unread 08-18-2009, 04:53 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

No, but a week after your OP someone else asked the same question so I had emulated it in ProfitUI: http://www.eq2interface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=11704