EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > XML Modification Help & Info

Unread 03-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Slayer of clock cycles
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Oasis
Send a message via ICQ to Landiin Send a message via AIM to Landiin Send a message via MSN to Landiin Send a message via Yahoo to Landiin

eq2ui.xml is the root node of the entire UI. It tells the game and or UI builder what files to load. It use to be standard to include ones custom files in this file. With the introduction of the eq2ui_custom.xml file most complete set do not supply the eq2ui.xml file any longer as it is not advisable to change it. (modification protection ) So thats why you do not see it any longer in custom UI's. If it is missing just simply copy it over from the default UI directory so you can load your custom UI into the UI Builder.

I personally only use the UI Builder to align objects in the windows I make or mod and to test out some scripting. Other then that I use Notepad++ to do all my editing. Now there are times when I am aligning things and I decide to add something, I will add it though the UI Builder.

The UI Builder has came a long way form when SOE first released it. Yes it still has issues but it is better then nothing.
Unread 03-11-2008, 05:40 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Antonia Bayle

I've never had a programing classes or anything, but yet in EQ1 I made custom UI's just by teaching my self and playing with the programing. So ya xml is easy but it's taking me longer with eq2_xml files. They seem far more complex. I tried modifing a vanguard gauge ui I found here to get rid of the text on the gauges, but that just ended up makeing the entire background disappear instead. Although it did get ride of the text too lol.

Then I tried to mod the target window on the same UI cause the window was way bigger than the gauges, preventing me from using some of my hotbuttons when I had it close to them, thing was resizable so I tried that first and it worked....until I targeted something or someone and then it resized itself back the way it was.

So sorry if I sound like an idiot here Dragowulf, I guess I'm just not as smart as you...
Unread 03-11-2008, 05:55 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Yes the joys of eq2 ui modding - much is hardcoded, leading to the "unexpected" results you are seeing. All you can do is learn from experience I guess, that's what we all did. It's getting easier and easier of course because you can learn from what other modders have done before you. If there are specific questions regarding specific windows feel free to ask for help in the XML modding forum.
Unread 03-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Yep, I'm not technially a programmer by trade and I've learned all I know about EQ2 UI Modding by messing around in UIBuilder, seeing how bad it blows up in the game, and asking questions here and looking into other UIs.

We don't bite... much
Unread 03-11-2008, 06:32 PM
A man among men
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Nagafen
Send a message via AIM to dragowulf Send a message via MSN to dragowulf

lol no one is as smart as me!!!!!!!

(you don't sound like an idiot)

Naw, but seriously...back in the old EQ2 days i wanted to mod. I started on in UIBuilder and worked my way up, now I know .xml. Trust me, I'm not that great. gm9 is the great one, some of the things he has in ProfitUI I can't even follow. Crazy man.

Just mess around in UIBuilder, you don't need any classes or anything. If you just start from there you should get the main concept of it in weeks.
Unread 03-11-2008, 07:19 PM
A Griffon

I will add my voice to the growing chorus. I am not a programmer and never have been. While UI builder, bugs and all, can be overwhelming at first, keep at it! Messing with other people's mods and making them bend to my will is how I learned.

The community here is fantastic. Some of the answers can seem short, but the faceless code monkeys on the other end of the internets' tubes are fonts of knowledge. They've helped me again and again with goofy bugs that stumped me and then they helped me some more.

Don't let early setbacks discourage you. I wish you much success.
Unread 08-16-2008, 12:57 AM
A Forest Scavenger

This is great Info I am gonna give it a try. I have always wanted to do some custom stuff myself.
Unread 06-05-2009, 09:47 AM
A Brown Bear

I have not been able to get anywhere with UIBuilder. I click on the MainHUD tab, and a gazillion overlapping windows open up. I can't drag the large windows out of the way because it won't let me drag them past the boundaries of the container window.

I just want to modify the 5x_c2c custom raid window, to add more "Heal" buttons to each each member. If I start over and select only the Raid window on the left, I see only a red rectangle with no buttons in it, whether I press Play or not.

How do I get to where the buttons appear, and allow me to add or edit them?

Before I have modified the SetPrice window (from Pooka set price presets) in XML, but that took a lot of trial and error, to make the window bigger and add buttons. And the default size of the window still comes up too small, so I have to expand it each time I use it.
Unread 06-05-2009, 10:45 AM
A Griffawn

Server: Oasis

Welcome to the sometimes rewarding and often frustrating world of Everquest 2 UI modding. First off I find it is easier to edit just the piece I'm working on instead of loading the MainHUD file and dealing will a thousand tabs. But there are some UIBuilder behaviors you have to be aware of. The most frustrating being the addition of the visible=false to the first sub-page of the window your working on. And there is also the occasional addition of extra "/" where you don't need them. As for having the graphics show up, well I have found that any graphical elements that are defined by a style don't show up in the UIBuilder. So things like borders and background graphics don't show up. This means that when I'm working on a UI piece I have to go back and forth to the game to get the borders to line up the way I want.

Oh and when you copied over the UI pieces to your working folder did you also copy over the image folders to?

I hope this has been helpful and good luck.
Unread 06-05-2009, 01:09 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

The problems you listed are only occuring because you do not load eq2ui.xml which therefore I cannot recommend (there are a couple of other issues with that also).
Unread 06-05-2009, 11:55 PM
EQ2MAP Developer

Server: Splitpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwab View Post
I have not been able to get anywhere with UIBuilder. I click on the MainHUD tab, and a gazillion overlapping windows open up. I can't drag the large windows out of the way because it won't let me drag them past the boundaries of the container window.
No need to move them,
Select the MainHUD tab like you did.
Then on the object list to the left , select the window you like to edit.
Next press the blue arrow at the toolbar to move it to the top, now the window should be visible.
Unread 06-06-2009, 03:16 AM
A Green Troll
Featured

Server: Blackburrow
Send a message via Yahoo to Zonx

Also note that UIBuilder is now smarter about saving files... i.e. a standard save only saves the file containing the object selected in the left hand object tree. So you can move, hide, reorder stuff all you want... just don't save windows you don't want permanently changed.
Unread 09-14-2009, 02:01 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Befallen
Default Lost following the Guide

Don't understand where/how to do this step:

Next thing ya gotta do is create a file in the root EQ2 Directory
(C:\Program Files\Sony\EverCrack II\)
and name it eq2.ini
Here is what it should look like (you change myui to whatever you pasted the XML files into)

I don't want to mess up what I use for the game while I am creating a new one. Thanks for any help.

Is it simply opening notpad, typing in the info and saving it as a neweq2.ini?

Edit: Not able to click on anything and move it...

Li`Ayr of the Befallen server

Last edited by Ayryl : 09-14-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Unread 09-14-2009, 03:21 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

if you already have an eq2.ini just keep it.