Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Interface Discussion > Pre-Beta

Unread 09-28-2007, 12:36 AM
A Griffon
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Everfrost
Send a message via ICQ to Talyns
Default EQ2Map w/ integrated list (Preview)

Pre-Beta Preview -

Major Features Enhancement:
EQ2Map with an integrated list.
Selecting a POI in the list hides every other POI on the map.
Double clicking a POI creates a path to it and closes the list.
Selecting a POI and clicking the Comment Button will open the browser to the eq2map website for that POI (So you can comment on it or report it bad or duplicate)
It will also allow us to attach a HTML link to POIS so we can add a button to open the browser to websites describing Quest, Mob, and Named info.

However there is a few drawbacks..
When displaying the map for the first time in a zone there is a slight pause while the list populates itself and the poi's are placed on the map. Also the for this to work there must be a max number of POI's of each type allowed: Right now it allows
200 Locations, NPC, MOBS, Named and Qst POIS.. And 50 zone locations..

So they could give opinions to these questions: (but any opinions are welcome)

Is this something you would like to see added to EQ2Map?

Is the pause that happens during population of the map bearable?

Note: It's fully functional but the POIs are out of date (mid-august.) But it is just a pre-beta preview.

README: To install the attached zip:
1. Unzip to a seperate folder in the Everquest2/UI directory.
2. Copy your images/maps folder from your regular Eq2Map Install
3. Update your eq2.ini to point to the folder you unzipped into

This is not compatible with the EQ2Map Updater nor the current plugins that are available..
Hope that makes sense..
Attached Files
File Type: zip EQ2Map_DevList18.zip (709.2 KB, 993 views)

Last edited by Talyns : 10-01-2007 at 03:58 AM.
Unread 09-28-2007, 01:04 AM
A man among men

Server: Nagafen
Send a message via AIM to dragowulf Send a message via MSN to dragowulf

Isn't this what POI Finder is?
Unread 09-28-2007, 02:02 AM
A Griffon

YES.. Sorta... But integrated which makes it a bit different/advanced.

This project was started shortly after Mother released the original EQ2MAP Spoiler.

It actually lets you find the POI visually on the map..

So check it out :P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	6002  Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	977
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	6003  Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	1915
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	6004  Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	1028
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	6007  

Last edited by Talyns : 10-01-2007 at 04:00 AM.
Unread 09-28-2007, 02:39 AM
A man among men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyns View Post

This project was started shortly after Mother released the original EQ2MAP Spoiler.

Yep, I'll DL it once I reformat my C drive.

drago.
Unread 09-30-2007, 05:55 AM
A Griffon

What started this project..
Goals of this project as stated by Dolby:
1. What all do we want the list to do
2. How the list is to be displayed
3. How we are going to store the list in xml

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby
1. I would see the list displaying all the POI's for the zone the person is in. Also if there are no POI's for that zone maybe dont have the list show at all. I want to be able to scroll through all the POI's in alpha order (server can do that) and when I hover my mouse over one of the POI titles in the list a tool-tip with the UID & description shows. If I click on the POI Text in the list either it will just display that POI or use the waypoint system to throw a flashing red X on the map.
2. I would like to see text links in a scrollable box
3. Is there any way to use the current POI xml with some modifications? If there is I'll remove all clusters from the XML.

Now I was talking with the devs at the summit and they all thought the side list would be a great idea. You wouldnt believe how many people from SOE use EQ2Map. Anyways I want to throw out another question, do you guys feel this is a good idea to help people find POI's faster? Any other ideas so we can get rid of the nasty clusters and make it easier for people to find the POI's they are looking for on the map in zones that have zillions of POI's?

I was thinking in the future the POI list could have a 2nd text link next to the POI link that would pop-open a window that would include entire quest info. for QST POI's or do a search on ogaming.com. (they are getting rid of current html window and adding a full functioning one soon.
This was/is going to be the next incarnation of EQ2Map.. It's more than just the list it's a complete rework of the xml system that allows the list to be integrated therefore it updates when EQ2Map updates (However there is no support for that yet).

1, 2 and 3 is basically what this XML represents..

Adding the html link for quests, mobs and named to make the browser window open is not too far off..

If we add Zonx's VAM (View any map plugin).. You'd have a one stop place to get information on Quests, Mobs, and Nameds with a couple clicks of the mouse without any searching (as long as the community provides links).

I for one am 100% certain that EQ2Map will continue to be a valuable tool for eq2 players even after the new mapping system is released.. The team would like to get the publics opinion on this project. Is this something we should continue to pursue? Is it a good replacement for the old cluster system? Could you guys deal with a slight pause when opening a map in a zone for the first time after switching zones?

Last edited by Talyns : 09-30-2007 at 05:58 AM.
Unread 09-30-2007, 07:12 AM
A Fallen Diplomat

Server: The Bazaar

Far's I'm concerned this is an outstanding move forward. But then, I'm one of those who actually uses the POI Finder because it's the only thing available.

When one is involved with new chars who've never before played it can be very helpful to tell where they need to go for that next step on their quest.

Unread 11-17-2007, 04:33 PM
A Forest Scavenger

Server: Antonia Bayle

this is a fantastic idea. I probably would use it. 1 thing that might make it more adaptable for all players would be if there was an option to minimize the list if one did not always want it there. I also tried the newest try at the resizable map and it was pretty sweet so might want think about that having an effect on who would use it as a single window if it was a choice of either resizable or integrated poi finder. How ever the fact that this auto populates is what makes it so appealing. So if it was just an addon to the map as the poi finder is would make it a definet addition.
Unread 11-17-2007, 04:36 PM
A man among men

How about making it a tab?
Unread 11-17-2007, 06:12 PM
A Griffon

Server: Unrest

Quote:

I like this, and I'll definitely use it. I currently use the POIFinder (which does the same thing, including setting a waypoint on a POI when you click on it in the list), but it lags the actual map icons. The POIFinder Updater solved that, but the eq2ui_custom.xml change causes a glitch with it and I'm loathe to recommend it to non-techies right now. If this all gets integrated into EQ2Map itself then there wont' be an issue with POIs lagging or needing a seperate updater. Thank you for this.

Update:

Considering the list, one way around the pause while the list is populated is to do what POIFinder does: generate a seperate set of XML files specifically for the list after new POIs are downloaded. POIFinder doesn't seem to have any delay even the first time the window's opened. And while the idea of the list being in the map window is good, I put my map over on the right-hand side of the screen because the center's usually the part I need to see. If the list disappears when closed, when it's opened it'd be off the right-hand edge of the screen or else I'd have to leave the map further towards the center with dead space on the right-hand edge of my screen. I've had good luck with POIFinder's seperate window: map on the right-hand side, POIFinder opens on the left side (on top of my maintained-effects window, but I don't care about both at the same time). A tab would work, but I couldn't see both the list and the map at the same time (useful when seeing where multiple spawn points for the same item are).

Last edited by tknarr : 11-17-2007 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Added additional thoughts.
Unread 11-17-2007, 06:15 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragowulf View Post
How about making it a tab?
Seconded. A tab that switches back to the main map with the waypoint visible when you click on an item would be nice. Or a seperate window a la POIFinder.
Unread 11-17-2007, 09:53 PM
A man among men

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknarr View Post
Seconded. A tab that switches back to the main map with the waypoint visible when you click on an item would be nice. Or a seperate window a la POIFinder.
ill tell you later
Unread 11-17-2007, 11:03 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
I like this, and I'll definitely use it. I currently use the POIFinder (which does the same thing, including setting a waypoint on a POI when you click on it in the list), but it lags the actual map icons. The POIFinder Updater solved that, but the eq2ui_custom.xml change causes a glitch with it and I'm loathe to recommend it to non-techies right now. If this all gets integrated into EQ2Map itself then there wont' be an issue with POIs lagging or needing a seperate updater. Thank you for this.
The idea behind this was to not only make it so that it got updated with the map but it would also allow people to add html links which would allow you to browse quest/named/mob information by clicking on the poi in the list and hitting a button that would open the browser.. It also allows us to set up a button so that a user can click a button to report bad pois or submit changes through the browser window.. It truly was much more advanced than the map spoiler project.

Quote:
Update:

Considering the list, one way around the pause while the list is populated is to do what POIFinder does: generate a seperate set of XML files specifically for the list after new POIs are downloaded. POIFinder doesn't seem to have any delay even the first time the window's opened. And while the idea of the list being in the map window is good, I put my map over on the right-hand side of the screen because the center's usually the part I need to see. If the list disappears when closed, when it's opened it'd be off the right-hand edge of the screen or else I'd have to leave the map further towards the center with dead space on the right-hand edge of my screen. I've had good luck with POIFinder's seperate window: map on the right-hand side, POIFinder opens on the left side (on top of my maintained-effects window, but I don't care about both at the same time). A tab would work, but I couldn't see both the list and the map at the same time (useful when seeing where multiple spawn points for the same item are).
The way the "data" is stored for POIs was completely changed, not only to make an integrated list work, but so that it could be completely integrated with the POI display. However, the main reason for this was to try and cut down on the amount of bandwith the updater used.. By having seperate xmls for the list and the icons it would effectively double that bandwith..

A tab because of the fact that it opens on the left side is moot because the list was part of the skin and is completely moddable.... There could easily have been several skins.. One with the list opening on the right, one with the list opening on the right and one with the list in a tab.. And, it could have just as easily been made into a separate window like POIFinder and the map spoiler.. I even had a waypoint window that incorporated the list (even though I seem to of misplaced it.)

But overall, putting the list into it's own tab isn't a viable option for the exact reason you state, "You wouldn't be able to see both the map and the list" which kills the integration aspect.

But considering the map window changes that came with ROK (IE a resizeable map), this thing needs to be reworked quite a bit, which I will get to. however, the website and updater aren't set up for this at all and that was the big road block to getting this thing out the door..

Anyway thanks for the support

Last edited by Talyns : 11-17-2007 at 11:22 PM.
Unread 11-17-2007, 11:05 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
ill tell you later
Don't you have a hard drive to reformat or something?
Unread 11-17-2007, 11:33 PM
A man among men

Quote:
Don't you have a hard drive to reformat or something?
What are you talking about???????
Unread 11-17-2007, 11:40 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
However, the main reason for this was to try and cut down on the amount of bandwith the updater used.. By having seperate xmls for the list and the icons would double that bandwith..
The POIFinder Updater didn't have seperate XMLs on the server. It read the icon XML files after they were downloaded and generated the POI-list XMLs locally. No additional bandwidth needed.

To me the map's usually the main focal point. The POI list is a convenient index to find POIs by name, but it's primarily a tool to get the POI highlighted on the main map. If opening the list inside the map window shrinks the map, that makes it harder to see the POI location relative to everything else until I close the list again. Once I know where the POI is on the map, I usually don't need to highlight it again using the list. And since I spend a lot more time with the map up navigating than with the list up finding POIs, I'm biased towards keeping the map operating the way I like (fixed position and right on the right edge of the screen leaving the center clear).

Now, if you can make the whole map slide to the left when opening a right-hand-side list, or if the list can be put on the left-hand side of the map and have the window expand so the map stays the same size as the list opens, either of those would be perfect. But I'd expect either would be non-trivial to arrange.

*sigh* It's the 21st century, where's the direct-neural-feed virtual reality? They promised us virtual reality...
Unread 11-17-2007, 11:47 PM
A man among men

Quote:
The POIFinder Updater didn't have seperate XMLs on the server. It read the icon XML files after they were downloaded and generated the POI-list XMLs locally. No additional bandwidth needed.

To me the map's usually the main focal point. The POI list is a convenient index to find POIs by name, but it's primarily a tool to get the POI highlighted on the main map. If opening the list inside the map window shrinks the map, that makes it harder to see the POI location relative to everything else until I close the list again. Once I know where the POI is on the map, I usually don't need to highlight it again using the list. And since I spend a lot more time with the map up navigating than with the list up finding POIs, I'm biased towards keeping the map operating the way I like (fixed position and right on the right edge of the screen leaving the center clear).

Now, if you can make the whole map slide to the left when opening a right-hand-side list, or if the list can be put on the left-hand side of the map and have the window expand so the map stays the same size as the list opens, either of those would be perfect. But I'd expect either would be non-trivial to arrange.

*sigh* It's the 21st century, where's the direct-neural-feed virtual reality? They promised us virtual reality...
I'm leaning more towards a tab or something instead of the right things because I hate it being so darn big.
Unread 11-18-2007, 12:10 AM
A Crazed Gnoll

Server: Antonia Bayle

personally i see hte potential but what i really like is the idea of being able to make only your selected poi show up . i know its not a big deal with all this will be capable of but you know how annoying it is to search through POI's when they are clustered
Unread 11-18-2007, 12:11 AM
A Griffon

Server: Lucan DLere

I'm not sure how much work you're planning on putting into this but I'm just checking, you know that SOE announced at the Fan Faire in August that they plan on adding a search function to the map?

Visit Othesus World!
Unread 11-18-2007, 12:40 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
I'm not saying that the poi finder takes more bandwith.. But if the eq2map team integrates this approach with seperate xml files for both the list and the poi display then it would effectively double the bandwidth for updating pois because it would have to download two files.. Also the way I stored the data downloaded has shrunk a tiny bit (like 5%)..

Quote:
The map shouldn't shrink when opening the list... Just so you know, If you are looking at this thing in in game now (after ROK), it's not going to work as intended.. However both those options you mentioned are totally feasible.. Not trivial but not too tough either.. (especially with the way they allow us to access location and height and width now)

Quote:
Heh, ever see the show Beyond 2000? It seems that none of those neat gadgets are available even though we're almost a decade into the 21st.
Unread 11-18-2007, 12:42 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othesus View Post
I'm not sure how much work you're planning on putting into this but I'm just checking, you know that SOE announced at the Fan Faire in August that they plan on adding a search function to the map?
Yea, sounds like a neat addon, but very vague in description.. Also are they talking about the new map system or the one we currently have (and will supposedly grandfather)? Will it allow us to search our icons or only the icons added by sony.. It seems to me that it would search some sort of list of icons which makes it sounds like it would work well with the list :P Also would this search function also allow us to link directly to a poi on the EQ2Map website? And would a search feature allow us to store a link for quest info? Doesn't anyone looks at the big picture..

I've already put way too much time and effort into this project, seemingly going uphill, without barely any team support, to give it up, sorry!!

Thanks for the support

Last edited by Talyns : 11-18-2007 at 01:15 AM.
Unread 11-18-2007, 12:46 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarax View Post
personally i see hte potential but what i really like is the idea of being able to make only your selected poi show up . i know its not a big deal with all this will be capable of but you know how annoying it is to search through POI's when they are clustered
Yea, someone got it... That's the whole point of the list
Unread 11-18-2007, 12:57 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
Yep, I'll DL it once I reformat my C drive.

drago.
Nevermind I take it you finished

Quote:
I'm leaning more towards a tab or something instead of the right things because I hate it being so darn big.
If it ever makes it to a released state you will be able to mod/skin it any way you wish.

But, I personally dislike the idea of a tab because it makes the integrated list kinda pointless..

Last edited by Talyns : 11-18-2007 at 01:12 AM.
Unread 11-18-2007, 01:12 AM
A man among men

Quote:
Nevermind I take it you finished
Yeah...the date was in fact 09-28-2007 and it is now 11/17/07

lol

and if I'm able to mod it then it's ok. I would already have to see.