EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > ProfitUI

Unread 08-18-2008, 06:47 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default "This spell or ability is no longer available" question

I just yesterday reformatted my computer (Win XP Pro/Svc Pack 3/ .NET framework updated to latest) and for the very first time I decided once I had re-installed EQ2 to try this UI that I have heard so much about.

Once EQ2 had completely patched I logged in for 3 minutes with the default UI in place, logged out, checked to be sure the loader did not want to update anything else then closed the loader and proceeded to download and update the ProfitUI Reborn Java patcher. This executed without a hitch. Then, I installed the EQ2Maps Updater and this also ran without any problems making this a nice clean install of everything EQ2 related.

Logging into game I saw how awesome ProfitUI Reborn is. I was always disinterested to put in any UI other then the default and now I wish I had installed this UI long ago in 2004 Great Job on it btw and such a lot of work you have put in I must say!

There is only one thing that after reading all the FAQ and threads in the forums that I cannot figure out and that is why my small macro buttons above the quick cures gives me the this spell or ability is no longer available when I try to use them instead of executing the spell/ability. The "ask for Hearts" macro is the only one that works for me. In the UI I am listed as all the proper class/levels of my characters but the heals and rezzes, hearts ect macros always give me the above warning.

I have absolutely no other mods and have touched nothing else EQ2 related but for ProfitUI Reborn and EQ2Maps. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated and again Thanks for all the amazing work you have invested into this UI.
Unread 08-18-2008, 06:54 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Thanks to hear about a flawless installation for once, you tend to get only the troublesome cases here.

On the issue you have however: what server are you on, what is your class/lvl and which spell did you want to execute?
Unread 08-18-2008, 07:00 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

I am on the Blackburrow server and have several lvl 80 characters as well as lower levels of all classes. It doesn't seem to work on any that I have tried so far (Nec, Dirge, Templar) but I am going to log back in right now and try them out on a couple of the other classes to be sure this occurs with each one.

As far as what spell I want to execute using the macros: I am fine using the default ones that they come with as they seem to be what I would need those macros for anyway and why mess up a good thing is my motto The less messing with great code the better imo

Thank you so very much for the immediate response! You and this UI just keep getting better
Unread 08-18-2008, 07:06 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

When you hover your mouse over the macro icons do you get any meaningful text or just stuff like "Parent.Parent..."? In the latter case subclass detection fails for you (usually I would say this is because you removed the XP window but you said you are using a clean install so that cannot be it). In the former case I'm slightly stupefied but will unfortunately not be able to look into this further in the next three weeks because I'm about to leave for a vacation...
Unread 08-18-2008, 07:11 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm9 View Post
When you hover your mouse over the macro icons do you get any meaningful text or just stuff like "Parent.Parent..."?
Yes I get the name/s and levels/s of the spell/s associated with each particular macro. I just also logged off of my 80 Fury and it appears to work fine I will log into several of my other 80's (I have 9 of em lol I need a life) and a cpl of my 60s or 70s and see if I can find a common denominator on the ones that do not work.

Vacation hunh? I hope you have an excellent and safe one! You deserve a reward for all this work you do for the community
Unread 08-19-2008, 09:42 AM
A Coastal Crab

I had gotten this message a few times and I feel I have finally traced it back to its source for my specific case. I have several 80's that have no issue when using profit, but my Mystic, currently 71, seemed to have that problem. With the Mystic I was using older tier Master II's or Master I's and had not bothered to replace them since im a cheapola. The convenient thing about Profit UI (usually) is it auto detects character level and therefore chooses what spells they "should" be using. Since the appropriate level of spell did not exist in my arsenal Profit UI was telling my character to cast a spell I didn't have. Everquest was giving me the error that my spell was no longer available (when in fact it never was). Don’t know if this might be related to your issue, but hope it helps!
Unread 08-19-2008, 01:18 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheumais View Post
I had gotten this message a few times and I feel I have finally traced it back to its source for my specific case. I have several 80's that have no issue when using profit, but my Mystic, currently 71, seemed to have that problem. With the Mystic I was using older tier Master II's or Master I's and had not bothered to replace them since im a cheapola. The convenient thing about Profit UI (usually) is it auto detects character level and therefore chooses what spells they "should" be using. Since the appropriate level of spell did not exist in my arsenal Profit UI was telling my character to cast a spell I didn't have. Everquest was giving me the error that my spell was no longer available (when in fact it never was). Don’t know if this might be related to your issue, but hope it helps!
Ah!! This may be the case as I am doing the same on those particular toons since they are in the late 70's and not level 80 yet. I level quickly and it has been my way to box them to 80 with minimal spells THEN upgrade all spells to Asept 3 on the day they reach max level. Thank goodness I have tradeskillers and friends willing to make all 30 or so Adept 3 spells at once lol
Thank you very much for the information. I will test this theory by getting the Adept 3s made for them today and scribing them. They are all around 77-80 atm so it is just a little earlier than usual.
Unread 08-19-2008, 04:11 PM
A Griffon

Server: Najena

Well, even if this is the case, should the UI not fall back to the earlier tier of the spell if it is not available?

I also have a lvl 80 mystic. He has this one spell(sorry I cant recall which one it is) at lvl 80 that he had an earlier tier master I. I never upgraded it since the AD3 is not as good as the previous tier master I. I never had this problem (I had just assumed that it had a fall back routine built in).

Edit: I think the spell is slothiness (the dot put on a mob that increases his recast time and doubles mana consumption with every cast).
Unread 08-19-2008, 07:05 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

no I did not include a fallback, if you don't have your current spells the buttons would fail in the default settings, but of course you can reconfigure them.
Unread 08-19-2008, 08:39 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Unrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorinth View Post
Well, even if this is the case, should the UI not fall back to the earlier tier of the spell if it is not available?
The problem is that the game engine doesn't tell the UI whether a spell can be cast or not. The UI doesn't know what spells you actually have, only what your level (actual and current) is. So all it can do is go by a list of spells based on level and pick the highest one less than or equal to your current level and hope you have it. If you don't, there's nothing it can do. It could only fall back on a lower-level one if it were told the one it tried failed, and the game won't tell the UI that. NB: one problem with using lower-level spells is that as they go grey vs. the mobs the resist rates go through the roof. My usual cheap-out approach is to find a crafter who'll make me App4s.

What I did was write up a little program that reads a list of files with spell lines in them and builds the level-detecting XML for the button config file. I built it with the option to specify maximum levels for each class, in which case the program wouldn't include any spells higher than that level in the list. Won't work for multiple characters of a class, though.

I keep wanting to spend a weekend modifying the program to have all the spell lines in config files, and read a list of which lines to assign to which buttons for each class and build the XML based on that. But that's a lot of work for something I don't change very often.