EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Help!?!?!

Unread 03-22-2009, 08:55 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Question Installing ProfitUI Reborn Updater and Vista

Help!
I just bought a new Vista computer and have been trying to load profitui reborn updater for a day now but i keep getting the msg:

Missing write permissions!
Please run the updater again with administration rights"

I cannot find the exe file, nor do i have a desktop icon to right click and allow admin rights...what can i do to get this loaded?

Do i need to install the files manually before i do the updater?

Thanks in Advance!
Unread 03-22-2009, 09:00 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

All you have to do is right click the icon for what you want to open, dropdown menu will appear, click run as administrator.
Unread 03-22-2009, 09:31 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

There is NO icon! I have never installed profit on this computer and it is asking for write privlages and admin rights BEFORE the icon is placed on my desktop. Also, right clicking the Launch file does not give me an option to allow admin rights.........STILL confused!!!
Unread 03-22-2009, 09:38 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

so give it the privileges it asks for?
Unread 03-22-2009, 09:47 AM
A Griffon

Server: Valor

You will have ProfitUI Updater at least in your start menu. In there you can right click programs as well to run them as administrator.
Easier solution would be to not install EverQuest in your \Program Files folder :P

Maybe it's better to remove that downloadable jnlp-file completely and only provide installation via the website. Seems to confuse lots of people what this file actually is and does. Don't use it to run the updater at all.

Last edited by Kaldran : 03-22-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Unread 03-22-2009, 09:48 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

I have tried to find a way to give it admin privlages....cant find a way....how do i do it when there is NO icon on my desktop and NO exe file to be found???
Thanks!
Unread 03-22-2009, 09:53 AM
A Griffon

Like I said...

Unread 03-22-2009, 10:22 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Kaldran, thanks so much for your continued assistance in this matter....but sadly ProfitUI Updater is NOT in my Start menu........Clearly I am not computer savvy.

Here are the steps i have gone through to try to download the UI:

1) Click the big DOWNLOAD button on the ProfitUI Reborn Updater page.
2) Click OPEN (and not SAVE) in the next pop up menu.
3) Double click "Launch ProfitUI Reborn Updater" file from the menu that pops up after clicking OPEN. Java loads and i get the updater window.
4) Click UPDATE NOW and I get the msg:

Missing write permissions!
Please run the updater again with administrator rights.

There are no icons to right click either on my desktop or in the start menu, nor can i find an exe file pertaining to Profit UI anywhere in the EverquestII folder or subfolders....

I LOVE this UI and if i cant get it installed on this new comp. I'll probably have to stop playing my healer toons....Lordy I wish I knew what I was doing wrong!!!
Unread 03-22-2009, 10:25 AM
A Griffon

Type "javaws -viewer" in your start menu and deinstall Profit Updater. Install it again by visiting http://updater.pala.de
It should create the start menu and desktop links.
Unread 03-22-2009, 11:10 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by liigia View Post
I LOVE this UI and if i cant get it installed on this new comp. I'll probably have to stop playing my healer toons....Lordy I wish I knew what I was doing wrong!!!
There is always a manual install version also.
Unread 03-22-2009, 11:23 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

thx Kaldran, think i got a baby step farther...typing Profit in the start search menu does give me an icon that i can right click and choose to run as administrator; however, now i am getting another error which says Everquest2 directory not found...set the directory in Settings, Filepath first.... When i opened that menu the EverQuest II file path entry box is greyed out and i cannot get a cursor there, so i tried the "Choose" button located to the right. after selecting the path from C drive to Everquest II directory, i get the error msg: Exception thrown while setting base dir
Gaaa! what a disaster
Unread 03-22-2009, 11:28 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Smile Success!!

OMG!!! Not sure what happened, but its downloading now!

THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP!!!
Unread 04-06-2009, 08:04 PM
A Coastal Crab

Thumbs Up Solution I found

Just in case anyone else runs into this problem I thought I'd post what I did to fix it. I went to Control Panel then clicked on the main USER ACCOUNTS heading. At the bottom of the list you will see Turn User Account Control on or off. Click it. Uncheck that box. Done.
Unread 04-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Oasis
Send a message via ICQ to Landiin Send a message via AIM to Landiin Send a message via MSN to Landiin Send a message via Yahoo to Landiin

I just don't know whats so hard about running it as admin.. /shrug
Unread 04-07-2009, 08:16 AM
A Griffon

Don't install EQ2 or any of your support apps in C:\Program Files and you don't need admin access to run profit updater, or eq2maps updater. You will have to run EQ2 with admin access, but that is a snap to setup on the desktop icon

Last edited by gjsi : 04-07-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Unread 05-12-2009, 10:30 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

The Issue is the following.

Even when running as elevated user, (Run as Admin)
The user's "Modify" bit is stripped off of the access token for the %PROGRAMFILES% Path.

%PROGRAMFILES% Is owned by TRUSTED INSTALLER, Not Administrator.

Therefore the user does not have elevated status to modify files in the %Program File% directory, even if they click on the "Run as Admin"

Turning UAC completely off, prevents this token from being stripped..

So again, You can go to help & settings, and type in "Turn UAC off" and follow the prompts.. (THIS REQUIRES A REBOOT)

OR

If you like the UAC (Misery Does love company...) you may preform the following function on the SONY folder in your %Program Files% Directory.

Click on Start, and type in %PROGRAMFILES% press ENTER.
( %PROGRAMFILES(X86)% if using 64bit like me)

Right-click SONY and select Properties.

Click on the Security tab.

Click Edit

Click Add

Input your user name (Or find it using Advanced)

Click CHECK NAMES -- Puts it in the proper format.

Click Ok

You should then see your user name listed in the list, and it should be highlighted.

Check the FULL CONTROL check box, making sure there is a check in it, before you click apply .

If no errors occur when you click apply, YOUR DONE -- If errors occur, Something else is going on.. (Post Screen Shots)

I hope this helps.

Gabriel J. Dungan,
[email protected]
https://solutionfinder.microsoft.com...515c95741d6e72

Last edited by gjdunga : 05-12-2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Image Issues.
Unread 05-12-2009, 10:53 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjdunga View Post
Therefore the user does not have elevated status to modify files in the %Program File% directory, even if they click on the "Run as Admin"
I believe your Vista is broken, sir.
Unread 05-12-2009, 11:04 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm9 View Post
I believe your Vista is broken, sir.
LOL .. I Wished..

Go look at a retail copy of Vista sp1 with UAC enabled.

Install Eq2 --

Then look at who owns the folder.. It's not the admin.. It's the trusted installer.

And if your running as admin, you can CREATE a folder, but try to save anything inside that folder.. You cannot, because the user will not have the elevated token for MODIFY.. Adding your user with full control to the folder fixes this, if you don't want to turn off UAC..

It's a kludge, i'll grant you that, but it does work..
Unread 05-12-2009, 11:25 AM
A Griffon

If the Administrators group does not own all rights something _is_ wrong.

It would actually mean the TrustedInstaller is the only user to remove files and folders and I do not think that would make sense...
Unread 05-13-2009, 09:01 AM
A Griffon

I find the best advice to Vista user who install lots of stuff for EQ2, including the game itself, is:

Don't install anything in Program Files.

I have everything installed on my E: drive in the Games folder and have no problems running anything.

I have a few things run as Admin, but the UAC is on and everything works find.
Unread 05-15-2009, 08:14 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Well, the way I read the reply here, is that you don't believe what I'm typing..

Hopefully that's not the case, and your just stunned that M$ is using a Service Host process to "Own" and deny access to files while UAC is enabled.

If your issue is the prior rather than the latter, GO GOGGLE "trustedinstaller owns program files"

Edit: I had a power point listed here, but I'm looking for a better example..

Gabriel Dungan

Edit: This explains somewhat the trusted installer..

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...82e0e?lnk=raot

Last edited by gjdunga : 05-15-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Unread 05-15-2009, 10:11 AM
A Griffon

Well if you have read the google entries, you will see that TrustedInstaller as only user with access to files is supposed to protect "crucial system files". It is not supposed to protect the whole Program Files folder.
If the group 'Administrators' does not have access to that folder it got deleted somehow, as this is not the default behaviour.
Maybe this happens if you upgrade from XP without an admin account to Vista without deleting the file system first. I do not have a system to test this though.

Last edited by Kaldran : 05-15-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Unread 05-15-2009, 12:47 PM
A Coastal Crab

Server: Unkown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldran View Post
Well if you have read the google entries, you will see that TrustedInstaller as only user with access to files is supposed to protect "crucial system files". It is not supposed to protect the whole Program Files folder.
If the group 'Administrators' does not have access to that folder it got deleted somehow, as this is not the default behaviour.
Maybe this happens if you upgrade from XP without an admin account to Vista without deleting the file system first. I do not have a system to test this though.
Sorry, but you are completely wrong.

If you were talking about XP, you would be right, but this is craptastic Vista. Vista sees Program Files as "crucial systems files". Therefore the admin accounts does not own the folder, just like what was said above. By turning off UAC, you disable this function. People are also right that if you have UAC on and install apps to a location different than Program Files, you bypass the UAC function.

This is one of the main "features" of Vista that gave it a lot of it's bad press. People would install stuff and they would not work.
Unread 05-15-2009, 01:10 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Noone disputes that TrustedInstaller has ownership of %ProgramFiles% under Vista. However, the ownership of a file system object is entirely irrelevant to the discussion of whether a specific user group can access that file. This entire discussion misses the point.

Now, UAC in Vista is a function that, among other things, prompts you on write access of protected folders such as %ProgramFiles%. If it doesn't, your Vista is broken. Simple as that. Not that the entire concept of UAC isn't broken anyway, but that's besides the point also.
Unread 05-03-2010, 04:08 PM
A Coastal Crab

I'm glad the person who made this topic managed to find a way to make the updater run...but now I'm having the EXACT same problem as him. I've tried things suggested on this thread but with no luck. I get no desktop icon or anything in the start menu to click on to run as the administrator. All I have is the java file that I get from the download, when I click it it takes me to the page to download the program (the one with the orange java install button) and that is the ONLY way I can get the program to open. And of course I get told to run it with admin settings which I can't seem to do no matter what I try. I've decided to just give up.