EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP

Unread 03-02-2005, 04:35 PM
A Griffon
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Default Our First Modular Release Is Up!

Finally posted a new official release. Heh, get ready to help troubleshoot as I'm sure at least a few people won't understand the funky install (having to make an eq2map folder).

Deathbane27; there were a few changes to the window_*.xml files, mostly efficiency improvements. Make sure you update your style set's pathfinder's icon button to use the new OnHoverIn="" code; it'll allow for a massive efficiency upgrade in the icon page XMLs after we get the auto-updater in full use. Also, instead of emptying out the window_options.xml file, use window_backdrop.xml to make it size 0,0 (and move it to like -16,-16 to be 100% sure); it'll be hidden, but still allow functionality mods to stack with your style set (stuff like allow close on escape, hide/show icons OnHoverOut/OnHoverIn).

Zonx, I'm attaching the style set I made for your Fetish UI. I need to contact Dolby about adding you and Deathbane27 to the allowed upload list for the EQ2MAP section, as I can't seem to figure out how to do it myself. You'll want to upload the file yourself there after you have access with a screenshot and install instructions (the instructions being drop the 5 window_*.xml files in your eq2map subfolder of your custom UI folder).

Eloa, I'll talk to you later about a small change to the auto-generated XML icon format that'll be a pretty big (like 15%) size reduction for the icon page XMLs.

I think that about covers everything. Gonna pump out a few window mods in the upcoming hour.

Quib
Attached Files
File Type: zip fetish_style.zip (3.1 KB, 434 views)
Unread 03-02-2005, 04:56 PM
aka Mook

Server: Nektulos

Thanks for the heads up on the changes. I should have the skin ready by the end of the day. I think I'm also ready to release the MookUI complete set today too, so perfect timing.
Unread 03-02-2005, 04:57 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

Great work Quib and the rest of the EQ2MAP Team.
Unread 03-02-2005, 05:53 PM
A Berserk Golem

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Yaa!

And as one of the folks who knows nothing of how to do what you are doing, Hurrah! Everyone else is cheering you guys on as well--we are really excited!
Unread 03-02-2005, 06:11 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

Send a message via AIM to taco-man Send a message via MSN to taco-man Send a message via Yahoo to taco-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quib
Eloa, I'll talk to you later about a small change to the auto-generated XML icon format that'll be a pretty big (like 15%) size reduction for the icon page XMLs.
if you want you can just post it here or send me a pm and i can change it, unless Eloa already took care of it.
Unread 03-02-2005, 06:27 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco-man
if you want you can just post it here or send me a pm and i can change it, unless Eloa already took care of it.
I hadn't bugged Eloa yet, so whichever of you sees this and gets to it first. Here're the specifics:
On each auto-generated icon, currently, the OnHoverIn property is as follows
Code:
OnHoverIn="Parent.Parent.Parent.Parent.WC_Titlebar.QM_LocEntry.QM_LocText.LocalText=pathfindlocation Parent.Parent.Parent.Parent.WC_Titlebar.QM_LocEntry.QM_LocPath.pathfindlocation=pathfindlocation"
but I made a change that will make half of that OnHoverIn unnecessary. The new auto-generated OnHoverIn's should be as follows
Code:
OnHoverIn="Parent.Parent.Parent.Parent.WC_Titlebar.QM_LocEntry.QM_LocText.LocalText=pathfindlocation"
I made a change to the way the pathfinder works so it only needs to write to the textbox object to work properly.

If there are any spaces in the second code line, remove them; sometimes the forums randomly add spaces. I'll edit this post after I post it to better explain where the space is and where it shouldn't be.

Edit: "QM_LocEntr y" cut out the space(s) there. It's being added erroneously by the forums.

Don't worry about going through the EQ2MAP site and hitting the Generate Link on each map; I'll do that myself, and the change doesn't need to happen instantly. The code is backwards compatible so the pathfinder will still work right even if it gets the old OnHoverIn.

Quib
Unread 03-02-2005, 06:29 PM
A Griffon

Server: Unrest

Is this our first and last modular release? Everything now will be handled by an EXE file that people ahve to download in order to get updates?
Unread 03-02-2005, 06:35 PM
A Griffon

I think that's the plan. Have you tried the auto-updater yet sunthas? Right now it just handles the icon page XMLs but I think taco-man's expanding it so we can have it handle all files.

Everything will still be modular so the auto-updater only has to grab a couple files every now and then and we'll likely keep a zipped version updated maybe monthly.

What are your thoughts on it sunthas? I know I personally recoil at the thought of downloading an EXE in order to download something else, but I also haven't been on the development side of such a situation before, and it looks pretty appealing to me.

Quib
Unread 03-02-2005, 06:51 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

Send a message via AIM to taco-man Send a message via MSN to taco-man Send a message via Yahoo to taco-man

Try generating one now and checking it.
Unread 03-02-2005, 07:13 PM
A Griffon

Perfect, though now I noticed one more error. ZONE icons are being generated at size 30,30 while all others are 10,10. ZONE icons should be 18,18; can this be changed for generation and will it screw anything up? Icon Location properties are generated at time of XML generation based on their pathfindlocation correct?

Why 18,18? Way back when Eloa set up the icon system, this was the size they picked. My guess is it's bigger than the dots so you clearly see the zone POIs, but not as ginormous as the default zone POIs as to not waste space.

This looks to be the last of the auto-generation formatting things that's bugging me.

Quib
Unread 03-02-2005, 07:36 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

done, it took me 3 seconds i wrote in a way to change the size easily for the icons along time ago. Check it now and verify that it is the right size? OH **** you are right it will be all wrong locations i think, i have to look at the code again. I will work on fixing all the locations, i will write a function to do it but i am going out to dinner soon to celebrate getting accepted into the college i wanted to go to (UCI for anyone who knows what school it is) so i may not finish until i am back

Last edited by taco-man : 03-02-2005 at 07:41 PM.
Unread 03-02-2005, 07:44 PM
A Griffon

Server: Blackburrow
Send a message via AIM to Humudce

Gratz on being accepted to UCI ( I think UCI is University of California Irvine). But Gratz none the less.

[Guild Leader] Tiggler is my Main, Humudce is my Alt on Blackburrow.
Unread 03-02-2005, 07:49 PM
A Griffon

Fallen Gate has it in the right spot, but FG seems to have forced Location values (as opposed to ones calculated by PHP). So the only ZONE icon in FG is in the right spot.

Would it be too taxing on the system to have it recalculate icon Locations every time you click generate XML? Since you click to generate anyway, it doesn't actually occur that often so it would actually add any real load to the server?

Also, when I view a POI that already calculated its Location value, does it recalculate it? If not can it be changed to do so? If we ever change the zonerect for a zone (which will happen every so often) or the pathfindlocation of an icon, it needs to be able to generate a new location value. If this value can't be made to be regenerated each time generate XML is clicked, can it at least be made to generate any time a specific POI is clicked on. I wouldn't mind going through and clicking each POI link (for a zone) if we need to change a zonerect.

And congratulations on UCI! I have a friend and a few acquaintances that go there. I'm at its reviled younger brother, UCR.

Quib
Unread 03-02-2005, 08:49 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

im working on it right now.
Unread 03-02-2005, 09:05 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

try it and see if it updates the xml location now. Ill be gone for an hour or 2 so just check it and let me know when you get a chance. i already ran the generation on fallen gate.

Last edited by taco-man : 03-02-2005 at 09:09 PM.
Unread 03-02-2005, 09:16 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

as i was walking out the door i realized i put the 2 functions in backwards order, it was writing the file and then updating the locations, it should be doing it in the correct order now so try again if you tried earlier
Unread 03-02-2005, 09:25 PM
A Griffon

Looks good; Locations are matching up with those generated by your zonerect calculator app so everything appears to be as it should be. Thanks!

I'll go through and generate and check most (actually probably all) of the zones.

You said you were working on a way for me to be able to upload the non-auto-generated files; how's that going? Also, I wanted to get the maps up for the Qeynos city areas (there's 58 icon page XML and I got them all auto-downloading, but some of them aren't viewable at maps.eq2interface.com because they lack an image for the map) how would I go about getting the JPG versions of the maps uploaded for use by the website?

Remember, we're not in a hurry. The newest release is out the door and we'll make sure everything is good and ready before the auto-updating system becomes standard. I just got through the queue for Amerish so I have some NC to kill.

Quib
Unread 03-02-2005, 10:07 PM
A Griffon

Default Bravo

This is amazing! Keep up the good work!
Unread 03-02-2005, 10:41 PM
EQ2MAP Webmaster

Server: Unkown
Send a message via Skype™ to Eloa

Quib, All I did to get the jpgs for the site was open up the dds and resize the canvas to (i think 436x506?) the actual display size in game. saved as jpg, quality 7 or so.

I was thinking a bit back that the XML_LOC needs to generate on generation.

This is what I think we the game plan from here on out should be.
  • Work on the updater and add an ini, which will tell what files to dl, or type.
    • Write in something where we can tell it what to get.
    • Some type of scripting language or variables or something.
    • Maybe even look at a txt file online and use that for settings instead.
  • Add an updates section to the updater. Just like SOE's basically.
    • Updates table in db
    • updates will right to a text file that will simply display (maybe simple html formatting. Maybe just a couple sizes, couple colors) in a text box in-prog
    • The database can also feed an updates section on the site.
  • Finish adding the JPG maps to the site, get all the zonerects for the zones that are already there. Add the maps for zone we have maps for but arent there yet. That is if there are any.
  • After that, move on to higher tier maps (for us) the higher level people wanting to help can go on now.
Thats all I have for now
I think we should continue on the very modular path keeping most of our scripting and stuff VERY easy to change up without any programming changes.
Unread 03-02-2005, 11:10 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloa
Quib, All I did to get the jpgs for the site was open up the dds and resize the canvas to (i think 436x506?) the actual display size in game. saved as jpg, quality 7 or so.
Haha, I was gonna ask what quality you saved them as. Anyway, I'm still not sure where these images are located? Is it somewhere I have access to? Stormhold III needs updating, and I wouldn't mind taking the time to throw up some of the various default maps that aren't at the site.

My thoughts on how the auto-updater could work are as follows; taco-man is the one doing the work here so it's all his call and how he wants to do it, but this is what I was envisioning:
- Auto-updater downloads an XML listing all the current files and their MD5s (I think this is what is occuring already).
- Some files need to be flagged as download only if they don't exist. The window_*.xml files fit in this category, as will the zone connection maps after they're perfected. So the window_*.xml, image_*.xml and zones_*.xml files will only be downloaded if they don't exist on the user's computer.
- The checksum will compare all other XML files against those at the website, auto-generated and manually uploaded every time the auto-updater is used.
- DDS files will be downloaded if they don't exist.
- There will be a complete file check that will compare the checksums of the DDS files to make sure you have the newest. This will be suggested to be off (unless it happens to be ultra-fast).
- The first time the auto-updater is run (if there's no .cfg file present) automatically do a complete file check.

Quib
Unread 03-03-2005, 12:07 AM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

- Auto-updater downloads an XML listing all the current files and their MD5s (I think this is what is occuring already).
** Yes that is what currently happens.

- Some files need to be flagged as download only if they don't exist. The window_*.xml files fit in this category, as will the zone connection maps after they're perfected. So the window_*.xml, image_*.xml and zones_*.xml files will only be downloaded if they don't exist on the user's computer.
** This will be easy to do.

- The checksum will compare all other XML files against those at the website, auto-generated and manually uploaded every time the auto-updater is used.
** Currently does this (of course the manual stuff isnt implemented yet though)

- DDS files will be downloaded if they don't exist.
** This will be easy to do.

- There will be a complete file check that will compare the checksums of the DDS files to make sure you have the newest. This will be suggested to be off (unless it happens to be ultra-fast).
** This will be easy to do. We will have to wait and see how long it takes to generate the md5 for the dds files.

- The first time the auto-updater is run (if there's no .cfg file present) automatically do a complete file check.
** Easy to do, i already have a function for writing the .cfg file for the first time if its not present.

You said you were working on a way for me to be able to upload the non-auto-generated files; how's that going? Also, I wanted to get the maps up for the Qeynos city areas (there's 58 icon page XML and I got them all auto-downloading, but some of them aren't viewable at maps.eq2interface.com because they lack an image for the map) how would I go about getting the JPG versions of the maps uploaded for use by the website?
** Ive made the part to upload the files and put the information in a database table, i just have to write some php to make an xml fille for my updater to read and write some code in my updater.
Unread 03-03-2005, 01:23 AM
A Griffon

Server: Neriak

- Autoupdate of the autoupdater?
Unread 03-03-2005, 01:32 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killarny
- Autoupdate of the autoupdater?
This is something I'd discourage probably. I know I'm personally uneasy enough about using executable files I get off of websites, but that one might update itself without me knowing would bug me even more.

I trust taco-man, but I'd be more worried about someone else modifying the auto-updater and posting it somewhere else on the internet and doing mischievious things. We'll need to slap a bunch of "if you didn't get this from eq2interface.com" warning everywhere we link the auto-updater. If the auto-updater had the power to update itself, a malicious version that grabs a really nasty executable and runs it could be bad news.

Quib
Unread 03-03-2005, 01:41 AM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quib
This is something I'd discourage probably. I know I'm personally uneasy enough about using executable files I get off of websites, but that one might update itself without me knowing would bug me even more.

I trust taco-man, but I'd be more worried about someone else modifying the auto-updater and posting it somewhere else on the internet and doing mischievious things. We'll need to slap a bunch of "if you didn't get this from eq2interface.com" warning everywhere we link the auto-updater. If the auto-updater had the power to update itself, a malicious version that grabs a really nasty executable and runs it could be bad news.

Quib
yes, i would never want to make it update itself for this specific reason.

also here is a quick look at adding in the html update notes thing. the style of text and stuff can be changed easily its just an html file. i just threw it together real quick to get an idea of what it will look like. in fact you can even see the actual html file at http://maps.eq2interface.com/updates.html

ok here is the picture you will have to ignore the tiling background, i havent changed the size yet.
Pictuer removed, since its so old.

Last edited by taco-man : 05-29-2005 at 04:56 PM.
Unread 03-03-2005, 01:10 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

Hmmm you guys have a POI db sumbitter thing right? Hmmm I think I could add a few good ones there sometime.