EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > UI User Discussion

Unread 10-25-2015, 12:52 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Default Ongoing status of ProfitUI?

There has been almost no activity in the ProfitUI area for some time now, and we now have the first reports of updates that will be needed for Terrors of Thalumbra. I have been using Profit since I first discovered it during the Sentinel's Fate beta. I'm worried now that ProfitUI isn't going to be maintained and that I'll have to switch over to some other custom UI.

Does anyone know what the maintenance status of ProfitUI is? I want to keep using it, but I'm not qualified to maintain it. As I have said more than once in the forums, I'm a test guy, not a coder.

And if ProfitUI does break and not get fixed, what UI would give me the most similar look and feel? I play on two systems. One has 1680 x 1050 resolution, the other has 1600 x 900. The higher resolution is just big enough to comfortably display what I want to see. The smaller screen required a fair amount of rearranging to get things to fit. I was moderately astonished at the difference 150 vertical pixels made. Any replacement for ProfitUI would have to have to work properly in that space.

The specific feature that sold me on ProfitUI was the tradeskill window. I do a lot of crafting, usually as rush orders to grind status. The way Profit's crafting window captures the ENTER key lets me zoom along with my hand hovering over the numeric keypad, using three fingers to press the number keys and my little finger to tap the ENTER key as needed to cycle to the next combine. Any replacement for Profit must work the same way.

So there it is. Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

-= Therendil =-
Unread 10-26-2015, 04:34 PM
A Griffon

Server: Crushbone

So far, there's a problem in the examine window, and there are new windows for the new deity system. In Beta, I've been playing just fine with Profit, I just had to delete the Profit examine window, and it's using the default EQ2 windows for the new features like deities and infusing.
Unread 10-27-2015, 12:09 AM
A Griffon

The post about the Examine window breaking was actually what prompted me to make my post here. Profit is still working for now with that relatively minor workaround, but I'm more concerned about the future. It is just a matter of time before some change to the default UI will break Profit at some more fundamental level. If no one is officially maintaining ProfitUI, then we have to work on the assumption that the next patch might be the end of it.

On a more immediate level, I've seen that other UIs have been updated to fix the problem with the Examine window. I'd really like to know what had to be changed so I could try fixing the issue with Profit.

-= Therendil =-
Unread 10-27-2015, 05:54 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Butcherblock
Lightbulb Developer needed?

I too have used ProfitUI, but perhaps a little longer! I've seen it go through the many different iterations, and each time it fell behind, someone eventually picked it back up and took on the project! I'd like to thank all those developers, you have all made my EQ2 experience better.

The last time it fell behind however, I switched to DarqUI (actually the Live version) and found the transition fairly easy. The developers also seem to be on top of things. I'm not saying you should switch, a UI is a personal preference. I just want to point out another alternative in active development that wasn't so much of a change from Profit that I felt lost.
Unread 10-28-2015, 11:25 AM
A Griffon

I agree about the maintenance status running in cycles. This is actually the second time I've been through this. You can get a sense of that by looking at the progression of names: ProfitUI, ProfitUI Reborn, and ProfitUI Maintained. Not sure what to call it this time. Return of the Son of ProfitUI perhaps?

Funny you should mention DarqUI. That's the first one I picked to test. I plan to try Fetish and Drums as well.

As I test other UIs, I learn more about what I like about ProfitUI. I see now that I favor space efficiency over just about anything else. ProfitUI strips away nearly all decorative features to reduce elements to the minimum usable size. Not much to look at, but it gets a lot of important information on the screen without getting in the way too much. That minimalism is exactly what I want.

So we will see what happens. If someone decides to take up the maintenance of ProfitUI, that would be good. If not, I'll keep using it until it breaks in a way I can't live with. In the meantime, I'll test other UIs so I'm ready either way.

-= Therendil =-