EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP > EQ2Map Troubleshooting

Unread 11-11-2009, 01:34 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Unkown
Default EQ2Map problem in Windows 7

I am haveing a problem with EQ2Maps in Windows 7 (upgrade version 32bit).
Every time I use the maps it leaves behind a icon in the game folder that can either be clicked or removed, any suggestions would be helpful.

Unread 11-11-2009, 01:45 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Server: Antonia Bayle
Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

Oh wow, same here. 87 Desert of Flames icons. And I can't seem to delete them for some odd reason (can't right clicky)
Unread 11-11-2009, 02:21 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Wait for Windows 7 SP1?

j/k, no Win7, no idea.
Unread 11-11-2009, 05:48 PM
A man among men
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Nagafen
Send a message via AIM to dragowulf Send a message via MSN to dragowulf

I have the same problem in Windows 7 64-bit. I don't know how to get rid of them, but I suggest reporting this to both the developers and Microsoft.
Unread 11-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Wow, that's weird. Is it adding a new entry every time you run the autoupdater, or every time you run the EQ2 patcher?

Another thought: which patcher are you using now? As I recall, the old-style EQ2-only patcher was always a little weird in how it set itself up in the registry. It always clamed to be DoF (and that's what you folks seem to be seeing). Does this still happen when you use the Station launcher thing?

Last edited by lordebon : 11-11-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Unread 11-11-2009, 09:51 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Butcherblock
Default Win 7 64-bit

I don't seem to be having the same problem, but my EQ2 isn't in my Games folder, I just have it pinned to the start menu.
Unread 11-11-2009, 10:24 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

To answer lordebon question, I'm using version 1.2.4 of eq2maps which updates each time it's started and auto launcher is switched to on.
I do not get the extra icon in the game folder if I use the stranded Sony launcher.

I did originally think this was a windows problem and have had Microsoft checking out my system, which they have since told me is perfectly fine (well, they would wouldn't they).
Unread 11-12-2009, 06:06 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassianus View Post
I did originally think this was a windows problem
What else should it be? The EQ2MAP updater is not adding the link, Windows is.
Unread 11-12-2009, 08:16 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Looks like I've hit a nerve with someone.
I honestly expected something constructive to come out of posting a problem here but I guess that was a mistake.

Given that out of all the add-ons I'm using this is the only one that is haveing a problem then yes I would say it is the EQ2Map, especially since Windows has been ruled out so please Mr GM9 if you have nothing helpful to add please re frame from adding anything at all.
Unread 11-12-2009, 08:47 AM
EQ2MAP Developer

Server: Splitpaw

I have to agree with gm9 , he has access to the source like i do, i can't think if anything that could add this link in the code
Unread 11-12-2009, 08:48 AM
A Coastal Crab

Make sure you have admin on eq2 mapp then not a problem...
Unread 11-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Server: Crushbone

I also don't think it's really the updater at fault. Do a little searching, plenty of folks have had issues with the Games folder having loads of extra icons they cannot remove.

It sounds like when the patcher gets launched by the updater windows is (for some reason) thinking it is a new program, while you launching it directly does not confuse it.
Unread 11-12-2009, 10:57 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Looks like I've hit a nerve with someone.
I honestly expected something constructive to come out of posting a problem here but I guess that was a mistake.
Lol wut? I googled to see what that game folder even is and I took the time to read through the source code before responding and as thanks you think you should insult me? Nice way to introduce yourself here, I have to say.

PS:
Quote:
Given that out of all the add-ons I'm using this is the only one that is haveing a problem then yes I would say it is the EQ2Map, especially since Windows has been ruled out so please Mr GM9 if you have nothing helpful to add please re frame from adding anything at all.
Given that you seem to know better than the authors you should not waste our time asking for help if you are not prepared to accept the answers. How about that for a constructive response?

Last edited by gm9 : 11-12-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Unread 11-12-2009, 11:20 AM
A Griffon

Server: Unrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumstix42 View Post
Oh wow, same here. 87 Desert of Flames icons. And I can't seem to delete them for some odd reason (can't right clicky)
Interesting thing is that from the screen shot this is the "Game Explorer" and not the actual games folder opened in explorer. If people are installing things to the game explorer then of course you'll get this strange behavior and its been around since VISTA there are tons of posts on the net about the issue too.

From google search - "My recommendation is to click on one and if it works, then delete the rest
(or "hide" since you can't actually delete from the games explorer.)

FWIW - the Games Explorer is a great idea, but it seriously needs a
control-panel applet that can check and fix all the things that seem to
happen to it on a regular basis."

To test this theory as I haven't ever installed anything into the explorer itself I did a drag and drop of eq2maps to the Game Explorer and ran it. Sure enough it added a 2nd Everquest 2 start to the window when setting eq2map to run the game after running. Disabled that and it didn't add a shortcut. Removed from menu and ran from desktop and no issue

Last edited by Papabard : 11-12-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Unread 11-12-2009, 02:00 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Server: Antonia Bayle
Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

None of the "Links" for EQ2: Desert of Flames that show up in the "Games" folder are functional.

They cannot be double clicked, they can not be deleted, and they cannot be hidden.
I did not install the game to this folder, and I did not try to get these links to show up here. I don't even use this "Games" folder.

I don't have this trouble with any other game.
Honestly, I think it's an issue of the EQ2 patcher, being called from the EQ2map patcher, but I have NO idea why it's happening.

It's definitely should not be happening, but it is, and I honestly would say it's a strange thing with Windows, considering it's not smart enough to realize the game is already in there the FIRST time.

*Edit* I just proved that it -- at least my problem -- is DIRECTLY from the Sony's patcher for EQ2 (I don't use Station Launcher). Launching EQ2 from EQ2map patcher does the same thing. It's just every time the EQ2 patcher is opened.

Last edited by Drumstix42 : 11-12-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Unread 11-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Server: Oasis
Send a message via ICQ to Landiin Send a message via AIM to Landiin Send a message via MSN to Landiin Send a message via Yahoo to Landiin

From my limited read up on the "games folder" is if windows sees app being used and it detects that it is a game it will be put in the "games folder". I agree prob being that the game is being ran from the updater it is screwing up the link in the "games folder". Again just speculation.
Unread 11-12-2009, 07:15 PM
A man among men

Server: Nagafen
Send a message via AIM to dragowulf Send a message via MSN to dragowulf

The problem is not in EQ2MAP. I just recently got a new PC with Windows 7 and I have not installed EQ2MAP yet and I'm having the same issue. It probably has something to do with the launcher.

Let's troubleshoot the problem, let me start:
Do you use the "old" launcher?
sometimes

Do you use the new (download while playing) launcher?
sometimes

Do you use the Station Launcher?
no

Do you launch from the Everquest2.exe without running the launcher?
sometimes

How many unspecified "Everquest II: Desert of Flames" entries do you have?
Unread 11-12-2009, 07:50 PM
A Griffon

Server: Unrest

Just a couple questions as I'm still using the RC of Windows 7

did this problem occur in that or just in the actual release?

Because in answer to the above questions only 1 I don't use is the streaming client launcher and I have 0 extra EQ2 shortcuts
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:58 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Let me start by saying thank you to everyone who has taken the time to answer my original post with suggestions.
However, and by no means in a way of appologie to Mr GM9.

You'r post in which you said " What else should it be? The EQ2MAP updater is not adding the link, Windows is."
Simply made you sound as clueless as me as you make no mention as to attempting to solve this issue and my response was to a time waster which given you'r first comment of "Wait for Windows 7 SP1? j/k, no Win7, no idea." you came across as.

I understand you take pride in you'r work and rightly so but given that all you so far have said on this issue is around 24 words what other conjecturer was there to be made.
Now that said, if you are willing to put forward some advice as to how to solve this issue or what may be creating this problem then I am more than happy to listen to and follow any advice you wish to give but if you should choose to remain silent on this issue then that to is you'r right but it's not going to make the matter go away or the world stop spinning.
Unread 11-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Server: Oasis
Send a message via ICQ to Landiin Send a message via AIM to Landiin Send a message via MSN to Landiin Send a message via Yahoo to Landiin

You can try deleting the games with Game Explorer Builder. Then check what icons are added when you run what. Not sure if game explore builder will work with seven but worth a try I supose.

Last edited by Landiin : 11-13-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Unread 11-13-2009, 10:20 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
I understand you take pride in you'r work and rightly so
I have not written the updater nor am I maintaining it (that's jnils' project), just to clarify that. But since I know it's source code just take it as a fact please that the EQ2MAP updater is without a doubt not the cause for this.

Quote:
Now that said, if you are willing to put forward some advice as to how to solve this issue or what may be creating this problem then I am more than happy to listen to and follow any advice you wish to give but if you should choose to remain silent on this issue then that to is you'r right but it's not going to make the matter go away or the world stop spinning.
I don't use Vista or 7 so I have no experience with this. From googling the game folder/explorer I did understand that Windows itself is adding games there either by auto-detecting them or by the game's installer calling a Windows API function pointing it to a game definition resource which Windows reads to add the game. In both cases it is down to Windows itself to detect whether the game is already added or not.

Games are being stored in the registry at this location:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\
So that is where I would start to find out what's going wrong, in particular which name/path it is storing for the game executable (because that is what it would be comparing I reckon).

I also saw this: http://gameeditor.webnode.com/ maybe it helps. (PS: or the link Landiin posted, probably the same type of app)

Last edited by gm9 : 11-13-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Unread 11-14-2009, 12:06 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Thank you, I will give these a try.

Update:
The game editor you recommended work, it removes the dead icons from the registry.
I get this message when I start up the program but I guess that could be because I'm using Win7 and it was written for Vista.

Last edited by Bassianus : 11-15-2009 at 10:44 AM.