EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Request

Unread 01-20-2014, 07:11 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Antonia Bayle
Question Increased UI Font size

I have searched the downloads and been unable to find anything so am hoping someone here might have a solution or be willing to make one for free. I am using an hdtv as my monitor and Playing from my bed, (not enough room in our bedroom for two computer desks, so hubby gets the desk and I get the tv doubling as my monitor), however the font size for the game windows is so small it is extremely difficult to read, at times it is impossible without getting up and walking over to the tv. I can increase my chat size to a readable level, but not my quest journal, quest helper, map, broker, merchant sale, inventory, p;layer stats or item stats windows. I am looking for a skin (that is compatible with eq2 maps and the default blue ui) that will increase the font size and ONLY the font size in these windows, with no other changes, so that they will be readable on a 32" hdtv. I have seen many threads on how to change xml files etc, but they are several years old and reports have said they no longer work. So I am hoping that there is either already a ui available for download that does this and I've just been unable to find it on the boards, or that someone will be able to make a ui that will do this for everyone top use, as I know there are others out there who have this same problem. Any help is appreciated, hoping for a resolution soon! Thanks!
Unread 01-20-2014, 07:15 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

The biggest problem is going in and changing the font/size in the UI files is not enough. When increaseing font size, you have to adjust the size of each element so that it doesn't get cut off (think of every object like a rectangle with a visible area).

What resolution does your TV display in, I assume 1920x1080?

In the event of a LOT of free time, I might be able to code up a full default UI "Large Font" type thing, but it'd take A LOT of time, as you literally would have to tweak every single text element manually. And I'd have to be able to find a good size that would please most people in your situation.
Unread 01-21-2014, 01:42 PM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Something you can do in the short-term to make the text bigger is to simply lower your resolution when playing on the TV. It's certainly not an ideal solution, but like Drums said it's very tedious to change the font size significantly in the UI.
Unread 01-23-2014, 04:39 PM
A Brown Bear

My Tv is currently displaying in 1360x768 60hz when it is running as my monitor. Hope this helps and I sincerely appreciate the help. I am using a magnifier program that comes with windows in the interim, it is not ideal as it only magnifies what I mouse over so pop ups like poi info and comparing gear using the pop-up that shows what I have on vs what I am comparing doesn't work, also it cannot be minimized so it is always on-top of my game window whether I am using it at that moment or not. It works for the moment but is not ideal in the long run.
Unread 01-23-2014, 09:00 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

It's strange that the text would appear small in a resolution like that.

I game in 1680x1050, and while I'm obviously using a normal monitor, I'd think a bigger screen would be displaying "larger" pixels.
Unread 03-06-2014, 03:07 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Default I can't read my quest journal either

I've been using my old 32" TV at 1360x768 (or something like that) for years. My friends had to tell me if a drop was something I needed or not because I couldn't read the item description on drops. I was thrilled when they let you change the font for tooltips, etc., but I still strain to read the quest journal, and mostly just guess at words. (Luckily, I have patient, tolerant group members read my quest journal for me....although that's of no help when soloing.)

It's more of a problem now though, because I want to play on my smaller (27" maybe?) TV at 1920xwhatever. Because of the adjustable font sizes elsewhere, I can read everything but the quest journal. I can't even guess at words it's so small

Years ago I downloaded a UI from here that someone had made for playing on TVs, and I was assuming that so many people needed it that there would be a new one. So I logged on here and searched...but just found this post.