EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Request

Unread 09-03-2005, 11:54 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Chatting in Russian

I was wanting to use one of the UI's that I found here, but one feature that I've been unable to find is chatting in Cyrillic. I don't know what format/encoding they're using in the chat window, but I envision one of three ways (i.e. I don't know if it's easier -- or possible for that matter -- to use encoding for a browser ... cp-1251 or ASCII encoding... or ISO/MIME for use within email applications... or if maybe I could load with my UI a KOI8-R compatible font for chat and use that). Some of you guys seem to know alot about the Coding Pages so I'm pretty confident someone here will have my answer.

When I press my key combination to change my windows cp for my keyboard I see in the chat window of the game (even the default) it says what language I've changed to, but when I attempt to type in cyrillic presently all it reads is a bunch of question marks (???? ?? ?????). Any insights and input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Volshebny
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. George Bernard Shaw
Unread 09-03-2005, 04:17 PM
A Griffon

Server: Mistmoore

I don't think it supports other codepages.
Unread 09-04-2005, 12:10 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default no cp flexibility, bummer

Oh well, I saw someone typing in Japanese when the game first went live so that gave me hope that it was possible. If anything, I was hoping maybe there would be a workaround for the KOI8-R font loaded for use with the chat window. I'm still thinking if he was able to call the Japanese character set, I should be able to do so with Cyrillic. Of course, since then I've reconfigured this machine and don't exactly recall how I had my Japanese enabled... I believe (not 100% sure) that I'd installed the ISO Japanese cp's, but not EBCDIC or ANSI... of course, this left me hopeful that the chat server is actually one, big mail server with multiple cp support.

I'd contacted a CSR shortly after seeing the Japanese to see if there was support for chatting in Cyrillic and his response was the standard textbook response of 'there is no plans at this time.' Even if the guy was a dev, it's still going to haunt me as to how he did it. I need to take the time to research it, I suppose.

Volshebny
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by volshebny : 09-04-2005 at 12:15 PM.