EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Help!?!?!

Unread 05-21-2011, 11:52 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Unkown
Default Profit with both EQ2 and EQ2X

Hello everybody.
I play both Live and EQ2X and I was wondering how do I set up Profit to update both? Do I need 2 separate installs of Profit? Do I just need 1 install and reset the file path depending on if I want to play on Live or EQ2X? Or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks
DragnMstr
Unread 05-21-2011, 03:01 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Unrest

For most people, you'll need 2 installations. If you're using EQ2Map that also means 2 copies of it's updater, one pointing to each game.

Windows does have a way to create junctions, the equivalent of Unix symlinks, that will let both games share a common ProfitUI folder and a single copy of Profit and EQ2Map, but the tools to do it don't come with Windows and they're a bit tricky to use.
Unread 05-22-2011, 07:48 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknarr View Post
but the tools to do it don't come with Windows and they're a bit tricky to use.
If you are on Vista/Windows 7 they should be included in the base install, the command would be like this:
mklink /d C:\EQ2_2\UI\ProfitUI C:\EQ2_1\UI\ProfitUI
For prior versions: http://www.eq2interface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12480
Unread 05-23-2011, 08:40 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Unkown

Thanks for the info!
Unread 05-24-2011, 06:09 PM
A Griffon

One gotcha: while Windows understands junctions/links just fine, the UI seems not to. When you make the link, it'll look and act like a normal folder. If you try to delete it, it'll delete the actual folder behind the link and not the link itself. I ran into that with the logs folder (I link the test server logs folder to the regular one so ACT works properly) and when I went to clear out the test server folder it deleted the main logs folder too.
Unread 05-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Quote:
One gotcha: while Windows understands junctions/links just fine, the UI seems not to. When you make the link, it'll look and act like a normal folder. If you try to delete it, it'll delete the actual folder behind the link and not the link itself. I ran into that with the logs folder (I link the test server logs folder to the regular one so ACT works properly) and when I went to clear out the test server folder it deleted the main logs folder too.
That's inherent in how those links work. When you create one, you're basically making the "link" folder point to the real folder in pretty much every way possible -- try to delete the link folder and you delete what it's pointing to. Windows is just doing what it's programmed to do, which is to treat a symbolic link as a hard link to the folder.

They're definitely a more advanced feature and can have some tricks/quirks but it's a very handy feature to have. It's not all that hard to set up in XP (you basically have to download the file from microsoft and then make the link in the command line, although I'm sure theres utilities out there to do it that use GUIs). It's handy though -- I use them on my computers to work with dropbox, for example.
Unread 05-24-2011, 11:05 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
For a good open source GUI tool I can recommend NTFS Link. It also prevents the above described behaviour.

Last edited by gm9 : 05-24-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Unread 05-26-2011, 10:13 AM
A Griffon

That's good to know, since it can be disastrous to forgot which folder is the link and which is the source.

-= Therendil =-
Unread 05-26-2011, 05:45 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordebon View Post
That's inherent in how those links work. When you create one, you're basically making the "link" folder point to the real folder in pretty much every way possible -- try to delete the link folder and you delete what it's pointing to. Windows is just doing what it's programmed to do, which is to treat a symbolic link as a hard link to the folder.
Except that normally it doesn't work that way. With symlinks the normal behavior when deleting the link is to delete the link, not the target of the link. Same for renaming. Even with hard-links, deleting the link doesn't delete the target of the link (unless the link was the last reference to the target). Windows certainly knows that it's dealing with a link, if you go into the command line and do a DIR you see it listed as a junction instead of a directory. I just find it annoying that Windows both removes any indication what you're dealing with from the UI and then chooses the most dangerous possible action for those operations. There's just no need for that.
Unread 05-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Yeah, I meant that's how they work in explorer. It's not the ideal behavior, just another windows quirk you have to get used to hehe.