EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP

Unread 11-26-2008, 11:21 AM
A Sea Turtle
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Kithicor
Default Time to retire the POI Finder?

With the recent, great overhaul of the EQ2Map mod adding a built-in list of POIs not to mention a POI search tool, I don't see much need anymore for the POI Finder mod. I haven't played the game much since the latest expansion launched but in the little time I did spend I didn't see any need to use my own mod. Does anyone else? If everyone is happy with the built-in aspect I'll be happy to retire from my mod updating and administration days.
Unread 11-26-2008, 11:47 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

The only functionality POI Finder has the EQ2MAP currently does not in the same way is that you can click on the list to create a waypoint whereas in EQ2MAP you need to click on the icon.

That difference does not warrant a separate mod like POI Finder in my opinion. I removed the <include> for it today from ProfitUI. Nevertheless this was a great mod and many thanks for keeping it alive after mother9987 left!
Unread 11-26-2008, 01:27 PM
A man among men
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Server: Nagafen
Send a message via AIM to dragowulf Send a message via MSN to dragowulf

Well In the new map you can just search for the POI, rather than look for the icon.

Would it be a good time to retire the mod...? I believe so. The mod was great and I always used it, but it is no longer needed with the new map system.

With that said, TreeMos: Thank you for taking mother's place and maintaining that great addon!
Unread 11-26-2008, 03:05 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Antonia Bayle

Hmm... I use POI Finder all the time for a full list of locations, quest NPC,s etc.

Was great for us newer players that don't know exactly what we are looking for.

Is that functionality in the new map and I'm just missing it?
Unread 11-26-2008, 03:22 PM
A man among men

Server: Nagafen
Send a message via AIM to dragowulf Send a message via MSN to dragowulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldweasel View Post
Hmm... I use POI Finder all the time for a full list of locations, quest NPC,s etc.

Was great for us newer players that don't know exactly what we are looking for.

Is that functionality in the new map and I'm just missing it?
In the new map you can just use the search function to search through all available POIs

Last edited by dragowulf : 11-26-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Unread 11-26-2008, 03:29 PM
A Sea Turtle

Not only that but I believe that if you click the "All" button in the top right corner you get that tree-list of POI's that is basically the same thing as what you had in the POI Finder. With similar path-creating results if you click on something in it. Not sure if it handles tool tips (the pop-up windows with full POI details) the same way but with the search feature its still much easier then floating your mouse over 100+ items looking for the right description. I'll take one last good look at the new map's features this holiday weekend. If i can't see any major, missing functionality by the end of it I'll retire my mod.
Unread 11-26-2008, 03:38 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeMos View Post
Not only that but I believe that if you click the "All" button in the top right corner you get that tree-list of POI's that is basically the same thing as what you had in the POI Finder.
Indeed, I actually added that with POI Finder in mind.
Unread 12-01-2008, 06:27 PM
A Forest Scavenger

Server: Antonia Bayle

What about people still using the old map system? I think POI Finder would still be useful to them.
Unread 12-02-2008, 03:08 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Since EQ2MAP is not being updated for the old map system there is nothing to update for POIfinder either.
Unread 12-02-2008, 10:11 AM
A Sea Turtle

Well I won't be deleting the mod. I just edited the page to state that no more manual updates will be made. So if anyone is using the old EQ2Map for some reason they can still download and use the POI Finder. If they want the latest POI updates they could use Jnil's auto-updating version but from the sound of it there won't be anything new to update anyway unless you upgrade the map.
Unread 12-04-2008, 12:57 AM
A Grassland Beetle

Server: Crushbone

Thanks for not deleting the old mod. I know it won't be updated anymore, but a lot of the instances and dungeons that didn't have official maps still don't have official maps for the new system. And the EQ2Map maps for those zones don't seem to have been transferred over. So for running old content - especially city sewer systems - the old map is the only option.

Unread 12-04-2008, 03:15 AM
EQ2MAP Developer

Server: Splitpaw

That is not true, unless you use SOE's version.
All old maps should still be available and if you find any thats missing please report it.
Unread 12-04-2008, 05:11 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Exactly. Allow me a /boggle...
Unread 12-13-2008, 05:22 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Butcherblock
Default Retire the POI Finder? Uh-Uh

While the new maps are beutiful to look at, a lot of the former POI's simply are not there. I have seen in recent times over on Butcherblock server more and more folks asking in channel 1-9 "How can I turn the new map off, the old one is better!" For myself, I have to advocate for the gang here if they are willing to support both the old and new map system. There is clearly a following of players who are giving the new map with it's pastel colors and hard to see POI's the 'thumbs down'
Unread 12-14-2008, 05:29 AM
EQ2MAP Developer

Server: Splitpaw

Quote:
While the new maps are beutiful to look at, a lot of the former POI's simply are not there
All POI's from old map is moved to the new, so no POI's should be missing.

Quote:
There is clearly a following of players who are giving the new map with it's pastel colors and hard to see POI's the 'thumbs down'
If you don't like the looks of the POI's you can customice them to look as you like as they are skinnable.
Unread 12-21-2008, 11:19 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Butcherblock
Default Customize the POI's?

OK maybe I'm not the most computer savvy, but for now, I'm not sure how to customize the POI's as mentioned above. Can anyone post here a fairly easy step by step trainer for this? Thanks in advance!