EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP

Unread 01-31-2013, 03:48 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Unhappy Crash Issue: Cross-Housing Zoning

I've began to run into an issue when Zoning into or between Housing (including GH) instances when working on things. I've been through the basic troubleshooting & arguing with SOE staff for a week thus far, and been able to track it down to EQ2Map.

What happens:
After a few (after 2 really) times zoning, the game "hangs" for a bit after actually zoning. Specifically: the UI is visible (half faded out), as is the 3D "scene", the character, and only the mini-map is blank. This hang can last from 15 seconds to around infinity. Or, worse, EQ2 either does:

1: starts trying to relaunch itself (hourglass, see app try to launch in taskbar, hourglass, see app try to launch in taskbar.. endless loop). I can't quite catch the app that's being attempted but due to the icon, it appears to be a MS runtime exception catcher.

2: Simply crashes:
Crash Information:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: EverQuest2.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.1
Application Timestamp: 50f70068
Fault Module Name: EverQuest2.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.1
Fault Module Timestamp: 50f70068
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00db14c1
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Troubleshooting:
What points me directly to EQ2Map's UI? I remove all files in the /eq2map/ UI folder, and the game runs fine all day. However, this leaves me with a terrible useless map.

UI.log? Beyond being helpfull:
Couldn't load .xml
Encountered data outside of container tags
(literally pasted).. No timestamps, no filenames, not even which UI element.

Debug.log? No entries since Jan21 (assuming the first 4 digits are MMDD datestamped, and the Last Modified on the File info is Jan 21):
[0121/143915:ERROR:ipc_channel_win.cc(360)] pipe error: 232

Other things done: completely removed (as above) all of EQ2MAP UI and data, ran the updater.. In case something happened to one of the files. Same problem.

Now, keep in mind, EQ2 has ran fine for around 3 years for me, with EQ2map. So something recent in SOE's end parsing out the UI xml and/or data has to be the problem..

Since this mostly happens zoning into a housing instance (which usually has no map), it also points me to the minimap UI and/or it's blank zone default.
Unread 01-31-2013, 04:43 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Unrest

Don't see what this has to do with EQ2Maps nor EQ UI's its not a UI issue its something to do with SoE's game and should be posted on Sony's forums

As for the UI Log and saying its a UI issue is it possible you have the updater pointing to another installation of eq2?

The log you posted seems incomplete there should be a line above where the file failed to load with data outside the container tags. Deleting that file and reloading the game may or may not include it if it is indeed an error in a file but I get those sometimes and others the file never gets anything added to it. Just means something didn't initialize correctly during load or at least thats what I figured since I could reload my game and get no errors the next time around.

Last edited by Papabard : 01-31-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Unread 01-31-2013, 04:50 PM
A Griffon

Oh and I have been having that happen as well but just let it load and cycle. I too removed eq2maps and still found it doing that. So I'm not so sure it is eq2map related. The reply I got back from SoE was

1 UI Issue
2 Memory Isssue saying my machine didn't have enough memory so it was swapping some stuff out to page file.
Unread 01-31-2013, 07:45 PM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

It's not EQ2MAP related, more likely a memory issue . The UI log always has crap like that in it, they're not errors so much as just notices that the game XML parser makes as it loads the UI (IIRC, even the default throws those notices). If you admit to using any kind of custom UI SOE will always say it could be that (as they don't want to waste time on issues that could be caused by custom UIs, thus they ask you to use the default and see if it's repro-able).

What is your system like? (Old or new, how much physical memory, what rough level of settings you run EQ2 on - try bumping them down and see if that prevents the crash). The problem being specific to housing with crashes is very well known: normal zones are SOE built and use a limited spectrum of objects to keep the zone running smooth, but the huge amount of house items available (and their moveable/dynamic nature) means a lot more memory needed compared to a zone that might be physically bigger but made up of identical set of textures reused over and over.
Unread 01-31-2013, 08:26 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle

Quote:
It's not EQ2MAP related, more likely a memory issue .
- Not likely. As nothing else installed on this machine has any problems, nor has EQ2 in the past 3-4 years. (also swap file =32GB reserved, 0 used [ever])

Quote:
What is your system like?
- Win7UE (SP1);
16GB DDR2 1600;
AMD Phenom x4 955;
Asus M3A78 Pro;
ATi EAH 6670 2gb GDDR5;
250GB & 750GB Seagate 'cuda sata-II drives;

Quote:
what rough level of settings you run EQ2 on - try bumping them down and see if that prevents the crash
- Any setting (all). Does not matter if I have it on absolute minimum everything and a tiny 1024x768, or set on my usual 8-light, shadows, high texture, high model, 1600x900. It still hangs loading the minimap part of the UI. Which, by the way, is the only added UI. Everything else is Default.
- And yes, I have rolled drivers back and updated, makes no difference.. Game still hangs on that "Fade-In" as it loads the map.

Quote:
The log you posted seems incomplete there should be a line above where the file failed to load with data outside the container tags.

- That's the entire contents of the file. No filenames, no line numbers, no element names.. Nothing.

Quote:
is it possible you have the updater pointing to another installation of eq2?

- Nope. I've never had more than one installation of EQ2, since it is fairly impossible to run more than one anyway. The installation is in the default \Public\ user folder as well.

Quote:
Don't see what this has to do with EQ2Maps nor EQ UI's its not a UI issue
- Really? So.. removing EQ2map UI and the game running fine, zoning between housing all day, then updating EQ2map and the 2nd time zoning it hangs on the "fade in" with a black map.. Nothing to do with EQ2map? Not exactly what logic is pointing to...

Quote:
If you admit to using any kind of custom UI SOE will always say it could be that (as they don't want to waste time on issues that could be caused by custom UIs, thus they ask you to use the default and see if it's repro-able)
- Yeah, I finally got that response after the 4th day of petition responses. Which is actually why I tried it (simply empty the EQ2MAP ui folder was enough). And, oddly, yep.. Game runs perfect without EQ2map. But.. no Map POI's etc makes for a seriously trying time when I run around DoV or SF..

Either way, if SOE changed something around Nov/Dec last year and didn't bother telling anyone, or it's something bum with the "blank zone" handler; it doesn't matter since SOE techs & devs won't talk to me about it, and don't see to give a squat as long as the game runs without someone else's stuff.
Unread 01-31-2013, 08:43 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Either way, if SOE changed something around Nov/Dec last year and didn't bother telling anyone, or it's something bum with the "blank zone" handler; it doesn't matter since SOE techs & devs won't talk to me about it, and don't see to give a squat as long as the game runs without someone else's stuff.
That pretty much sums it up right there. If you add a custom UI or add on you are no longer under their realm of support.

That being said EQ2 is an old program it will no ever use more than 4 gibs of memory. If I recall they have even said it will crash at 2 gigs of memory. However I somehow got past a ton of memory crashes would have to go back and see what settings I changed. I get this game stall issue as well and tried it with and without eq2maps and still get the error on housings zones, instances like the sig quest line and a few other places.

Yes it also appeared around the release of CoE or shortly before so yes Nov/Dev of 2012 for me.

Clear your cache and or reinstall the game might fix the crash issue but really memory related issues are hard to track down. Its not a matter of HOW much memory you have it can be something as simple as a driver for something being loaded to some browser running and other things.

Quote:
Nope. I've never had more than one installation of EQ2, since it is fairly impossible to run more than one anyway. The installation is in the default \Public\ user folder as well.
Um really? I can run multiple copies of EQ2 on the same machine and do it all the time. EQ2 is a multi instance programming meaning it doesn't even require the /x switch to run more than 1 copy.

Last edited by Papabard : 01-31-2013 at 08:45 PM.