EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP > EQ2Map Troubleshooting

Unread 09-21-2008, 04:13 PM
A Coastal Crab

Server: Antonia Bayle
Unhappy EQ2 map update and vista 64

Hi im new to eq2 and windows vista 64 I am having a hard time understanding the install process with the eq2 map could some one please explain it simple step by step process as how to do it thanks
Unread 09-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Super Custom Member

Server: Befallen

All you have to do is download it from here: http://www.eq2interface.com/download...nOfficial.html and then just install it. XP, Vista32-64bit, doesn't matter just install it once you download it. Once it is installed open it up(run it) and let it download all the updates. Once it is finished it will start EQ2 for you. Once in-game jsut open your map and boom, there is your mod. I run Vista 64-bit and no issues
Unread 09-22-2008, 03:36 AM
A Griffon

Server: Valor

If you install it at the default location (which is /program files (x86)), you'll have to run it as administrator, as it saves its settings within its own directory, which is not allowed in Vista.
Unread 09-22-2008, 09:18 AM
EQ2MAP Developer
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Splitpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldran View Post
you'll have to run it as administrator
Im not sure if that in nesesary anymore as 1.0.18 now includes a manifest that tells windows what rights the program needs to run.
But i don't have Vista so i don't know.
Unread 09-22-2008, 12:55 PM
A Griffon

Does not work for me. On a quick look through the manifest-file I don't even see that it requests admin-rights.
Unread 09-23-2008, 02:39 AM
EQ2MAP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldran View Post
Does not work for me. On a quick look through the manifest-file I don't even see that it requests admin-rights.
It does:

<trustInfo>
<security>
<applicationRequestMinimum>
<PermissionSet class="System.Security.PermissionSet" version="1" Unrestricted="true" ID="Custom" SameSite="site" />
<defaultAssemblyRequest permissionSetReference="Custom" />
</applicationRequestMinimum>
</security>
</trustInfo>
Unread 09-23-2008, 09:11 AM
A Griffon

It should be something like

Code:

<requestedPrivileges>
            <requestedExecutionLevel level="requireAdministrator"/> 
</requestedPrivileges>
within the security container, as you can't just set the file unrestricted. The execution level has to be requested and UAC sets the file unrestricted after the user acknowledges it.

But that may not work as well. Last time I played around with it for my own updater, Vista just ignored the manifest file as long as it was not embedded into the executable itself. Microsoft delivers a file called mt.exe with their SDK which is able to stream the manifest into the application.

Another option is to call UAC from within your application when it is really needed. You can get an example here: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/vista-...Elevation.aspx

And the easiest solution is to not write to the program directory at all :P But EQ2 has to be outside the \program files directories as well.
Unread 09-23-2008, 12:06 PM
EQ2MAP Developer

Ok, it may not request admin rights, but it tells the runtime compiler that it needs to be unrestricted, not sure how it handles this , but all error reports about access denied has stoped
I have not made these extra files, they are generated by VisualStudio

Last edited by jnils : 09-23-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Unread 09-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Server: Oasis

I don't think it is possible to make it not ask or have to be ran in admin to allow it to write to %programfiles%. I think it just tells the OS it has to be ran as admin. Thats my take on what i read over at MSDN. Other wise the UAC would be useless if activated.

Basically you have to do what SOE does on the patcher. Detect if the app has admin rights, if not inform the user to run as admin.

Last edited by Landiin : 09-23-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Unread 09-23-2008, 02:29 PM
EQ2MAP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landiin View Post
Basically you have to do what SOE does on the patcher. Detect if the app has admin rights, if not inform the user to run as admin.
I was thinking of it, but i have not found a way to get what access it has yet.

I know that UAC has to ask , but if you deny , it won't run the program.
This way you can't get access errors.
Unread 10-16-2008, 09:40 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

I am having this problem as well. I just got a new computer that came with Vista 64 bit OS. I have been trying to download eq2maps auto updater for the last two days. I have downloaded it, deleted it re downloaded it over and over again and still I dont have the maps updated in game. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? Please. Oh and please dont tell me to run a clean install.... I have done that.
Unread 10-16-2008, 10:07 AM
EQ2MAP Developer

Does the updater download the files?
Unread 10-16-2008, 02:31 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

First Option: Right click, select "Run As Administrator"

Second Option: If that is a headache, right click, go to properties, then go to the compatibility tab, and down at the bottom there is a checkbox that says "run as administrator" - select it. Now, a little Windows Flag colored shield is on the icon, and it will automatically run as administrator (meaning the UAC pops up, and you have to click continue to run it).

Third Option: If you don't want to deal with UAC at all (which removes plenty of security functions, but stops you from having to deal with all the extra buttons), go to control panel. Then select User Accounts (You may have to click "use classic view" in the top left). The last link on the User Accounts page is "Turn User Account Control on or off" - click it. Then uncheck the box that says "User Account Control is on" or whatever it says. Reboot your machine. Now, everything is an administrator, which can be bad for security concerns, but good for gamers
Unread 10-16-2008, 04:37 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Server: Oasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsiKoTicK View Post

Third Option: If you don't want to deal with UAC at all (which removes plenty of security functions, but stops you from having to deal with all the extra buttons), go to control panel. Then select User Accounts (You may have to click "use classic view" in the top left).
Or click on your user pic that is on the start menu.
Unread 10-17-2008, 03:42 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnils View Post
Does the updater download the files?
yes I have .net framework 3.5. the files downloaded to the computer when I click on the icon and select Run as Administrator it brings up an install box. I click run and go through it until finish it starts the eq2maps updater but then I get an error message saying unable to start everquest II and to start it manually. I start it manually but my maps are not updated. I have downloaded Profit UI and it works fine, the eq2map thing isnt working
Unread 10-17-2008, 04:05 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

I tried all of that. I just uninstalled it and redownloaded it to the regular program files eq2 maps directory and that didnt work either
Unread 10-18-2008, 02:48 AM
EQ2MAP Developer

Ok if you get this message:
Quote:
I get an error message saying unable to start everquest II and to start it manually.
It is a known error.
The path to the game that the updater found in your windows regestry is not right, the updater should have ask't you when you first run the program if the path was right.
To fix this you need to do a search for "everquest2.exe" to get the path to the .exe file or right click your desktop icon and select propertys and read the path there. When you found it open Options in the updater and browse to the rigth path. You have to change both Everquest 2 and Autolaunch EQ2 path. This should work
Unread 11-03-2008, 09:34 PM
A Coastal Crab

Default EQ 2 Maps with Vista

Hi, I was having the same problem this is what I did. I downloaded the 64 bit version of Framework 3.5. I saved the eq2 map updater in my Sony EQII folder (look below for how to find it, thats if you saved it in default save). At the end it needed a location to open. Well thats when i searched in

1. my computer
2. c: Drive
3. Program files (x86)
4. Sony Folder
5. EQ II Folder
6. then i scrolled down to find a symbol to launch eq2 i clicked on it so it would open from there.

After i did that I now can open the updater and it will look for the eq2.exe where i told it to open from.