EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Help!?!?!

Unread 11-13-2006, 10:31 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Ui only works on non updating .exe

I am unable to get eqmap or any ui to work on eq2.exe (normal executable for updating, etc)

This worked for me for while, but I just purchased the lastest adventure pack, and it does not load in that zone now.

any idea why?

the eq2.ini file is placed in the main directory, right files are in the UI folder.

only thing I should mention is Everquest was not installed with this install of windows its been on the same partition since launch, and used to work fine even on other installs of windows
Unread 11-13-2006, 10:38 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

If there is a difference between starting the game from eq2.exe and everquest2.exe, then you have likely installed your custom UI into the "Default" folder, which means it will get overwritten each time you run the patcher. Ergo: Install into another folder (check the FAQ on this site for installation instructions).
Unread 11-13-2006, 10:48 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

This how its installed

Unread 11-13-2006, 10:53 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Not likely, since eq2.exe calls everquest2.exe to start the game. So what works with one will work with the other.

If you want you can try downloading my UI for testing purposes since it will set itself up correctly if you extract it into your ..\Everquest 2\ folder.
Unread 11-13-2006, 11:02 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

This is the case I can assure you eqmap or custum Ui works only in everquest2.exe and not eq2.exe
Unread 11-13-2006, 11:04 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

I will try your Ui see if anything changes though....

well same results your ui only works in everquest2.exe and not eq2.exe

there has to be something messed up in my file structure or something, though I have not a clue what it is.

The screenshots are right there to how the ui's are installed

where else would depict on how everquest loads?

Last edited by rainaut : 11-13-2006 at 11:33 AM.
Unread 11-13-2006, 11:59 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

bah sorry, had images disabled in my browser and didn't see you had screenshots linked in your post and did not understand either that you were referring to them.

Looking at your screenshots everything looks fine actually. I am just wondering whether you do not need to copy eq2ui.xml from your Default folder to your myUI folder (can't test this right now).

If it is not that: I see an EQ2 folder within your Everquest 2\ folder in your screenshot. Maybe you are mistakenly starting the game from there?
Unread 11-13-2006, 12:21 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Oasis
Send a message via ICQ to Landiin Send a message via AIM to Landiin Send a message via MSN to Landiin Send a message via Yahoo to Landiin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainaut
This is the case I can assure you eqmap or custum Ui works only in everquest2.exe and not eq2.exe
Sorry this statement is incorrect.

eq2.exe ( the launch pad ) updates the game then when you press play it runs everquest2.exe ( the real game ).

If you run everquest2.exe directly you will have to supply your username and password every time your return to the character select screen. I'm almost 100% sure that eq2.exe set a cookie (IE) that everquest2.exe uses that expires when ever everquest2.exe is freed from memory.

I always use everquest2.exe to play unless there is a patch then I'm forced to use eq2.exe.

You do need eq2ui.xml like gm9 said in your ui's directory, it is the root document to all the XML files in the UI. With out this file the game doesn't know what to load. So if that file is missing the game defaults back to using the default.

I can's see the full tree of your EverQuest II directory so it is hard to say what is wrong / missing. What language do you have selected when you use eq2.exe? If you have any thing other then US English selected, your UI will not be in the normal path of EverQuest II\UI\myui, it will be something like EverQuest II\LP_REGION_YY_ZZ\UI\myui;where YY is the country and ZZ is the language.

I am kind of thinking you do have some other language select because when you run the launch pad (eq2.exe) it loads the default, thus using the correct path of ..\LP_REGION_YY_XX\UI\ in turn loading the default ui. But when you run everquest2.exe ( skipping the launch pad) it uses the incorrect path of ..\UI.

If you do indeed have a LP_REGION_YY_ZZ directory you need to use the everquet2.exe from this directory not the main EverQuest II directory. You also need to put your UI in here also so your path UI path would look something like ..\EverQuest II\LP_REGION_YY_ZZ\UI\myui.

PS. Remember to put the eq2ui.xml from default into your UI directory.

Last edited by Landiin : 11-13-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Unread 11-13-2006, 12:31 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

It is not setting a cookie or anything on the file system, it must be a parameter passed to the everquest2.exe executable, but I always forgot monitoring it to find out what it is.

And as I said above the OP is missing eq2ui.xml, not .ini (typo in your post there, it is so easily confused with eq2.ini ).

Last edited by gm9 : 11-13-2006 at 12:35 PM.
Unread 11-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Send a message via ICQ to Landiin Send a message via AIM to Landiin Send a message via MSN to Landiin Send a message via Yahoo to Landiin

Grr I always do that lol!
Unread 11-13-2006, 01:18 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Trying your suggestion... eq2ui.xml will see if it works
update: did not work

Updates:

this statement is the problem I am having :

this is the eq2 folder
\
UI Folder

.xml file

Do I need to be adding anything to this file..

I used custom ui's and eq2map before I took a 5 month break just came back this month.. and this is happening... redid all the ui folder though so its new besides the defualt folder

Last edited by rainaut : 11-13-2006 at 01:45 PM. Reason: update
Unread 11-13-2006, 02:38 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Sorry for not being clearer, but put eq2ui.xml in your myui directory not the ui directory.

Any chance on getting a scree shot of your everquest II directory in detailed view?
Unread 11-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Server: Crushbone

You can skip the patcher, but you can't install in the default folder I think.

If any file versions are incorrect the game will detect that and you'll have to repatch I think. I believe the game has a set hash (I imagine its a hash and not just a version #) for all the required files... and the default UI folder should be included there. I believe the patcher sets some kind of file with those hashes or whatever that the actual executable reads & compares.

I know theres a way to make a shortcut to log in w/o the patcher and all that, but I forget it. (Does anyone remember it? You had to shortcut to something and pass some variables). But if you did that and there had been a patch, the game won't let you in, you have to patch first.
Unread 11-13-2006, 03:01 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

He is bypassing the patcher and he is not installing into the Default (yes, that would get overwritten, and yes, the patcher uses hashes. )

To the OP: Do as Landiin suggested (and I before him). And I still think you are starting another installation with your eq2.exe than with your everquest2.exe. Are you sure you start them from the same folder?
Unread 11-13-2006, 03:57 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

putting the .xml in the myui still did the same thing .. I had forgot to mention i had tried that too

UI and .ini

Last edited by rainaut : 11-13-2006 at 04:12 PM.
Unread 11-13-2006, 05:25 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

If you are starting the eq2.exe in that folder in the screenshot and it does not work (whereas the everquest2.exe in that same folder works) then I am out of ideas...
Unread 11-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

I agree with gm9, it almost has to be the eq2.exe you a running isn't from the same installation as the everquest2.exe.

Are you running them from a short cut of directly from windows explorer? If from a shortcut try running them both from the windows explorer and see what happens.

If you have permission run regedit and brows to

HKLM\SOFTWARE\microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths and look for everquest2.exe and see where it's pointing to. I think this is where SOE puts it, I can't look because my install is from a copy I put on DVD for when I reformat. I don't even know if it uses that data but at this point /shrug worth trying lol.
Unread 11-14-2006, 06:19 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Well thanks guys for racking your brain.. I will just do a clean install when I grab EOF... this install is from eq2 was launched

Another thing I noticed, that may or may not shed light... is screenshots, when I take screenshots in game, even though it sais screenshot taken on both .exe it will only work in the everquest2.exe, there is not a screenshot for the ones I took in eq2.exe.. hmm

Last edited by rainaut : 11-14-2006 at 06:25 AM.
Unread 11-14-2006, 06:33 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

I am still sure that you have 2 separate EQ2 installations. Also for the screenshot thing there is no other explanation. Search your computer for everquest2.exe and I am sure you will find it twice.
Unread 11-14-2006, 08:50 AM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Yup that says it all, the ONLY way the screen shot thing could happen is to have two installations.

Check you shortcuts properties. I'ed be willing to bet they don't point to the same place.