EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP

Unread 02-08-2005, 12:07 PM
A Griffon
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Default EQ2MAP Feature Suggestion Thread

Alright, here's a thread just for suggesting ideas for this project. Don't worry if you don't know every little thing about what can and can't be done with the UI; if you have an idea you think is good, or a feature you'd like to see, suggest it. I don't know yet if I'll be actively replying to ideas, or if I'll just be reading them, but either way, I will give fair consideration to what you post.

I'll try and keep this post (here at the top of the thread) updated with ideas that I think can be implemented and that I plan to work on. This project will soon be more modular (composed of multiple XML files that work together to make the map window) and so optional window attachments and functions will become a reality.

This thread's growing pretty fast, don't feel like you have to read through it all. If you don't see a feature you'd like listed below, just slap a reply on the end of this thread. If you repeat something someone already suggested, it just means I'll know a lot of people think it's a good idea.

Main-release features pioneered in this thread:
Zone Connection Maps (by ger, will be in next release)

Optional modifications to EQ2MAP so far:
ger's Loc Icons

Optional modifications in development:
none at the moment

Optional modifications I'm working on implementing:
current loc in titlebar (originally coded by tonyis3l33t)
escape closes window
double click titlebar to minimize (suggested by metavirus)

Keep in mind these will all be optional and non-default. Some will be modified graphics files, some will be small XML files that modify the way the main map window works.

Quib

Last edited by Quib : 02-10-2005 at 01:12 AM.
Unread 02-08-2005, 12:15 PM
Steward of the Faithful

Server: Antonia Bayle

Yet another idea for an optional graphical dealie: city/world map with connection indicators. See the attached image for an example of what I mean. (if you let me know what format, size, etc. you need to include them I'll do the work of creating the images)

Note: I didn't bother including bell connections in this example, only physical gate connections.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CityMap.jpg
Views:	841
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1110  
Unread 02-08-2005, 12:46 PM
A Griffon

The names of the places are text objects in the XML, so for connection lines, you'd want the image to have a background color block behind the area name and the line between them, but you'll probably want to leave the area name lettering out of the actual image. Also, the location of The Sunken City label has moved since you made that image.

It looks nice though, and optional graphics are so easy to deal with.

The raw map file for freeport is in Ui\Default\images\maps and is named map_freeport_all.dds.

The format to save as would be DDS (obviously), DXT1, ARGB, No MIP maps. The resulting file should be about 129 KB.

Quib
Unread 02-08-2005, 12:48 PM
a hedgehog

Server: Nagafen
Send a message via AIM to tonyis3l33t Send a message via Yahoo to tonyis3l33t

i like the idea ger
________
HOW TO ROLL BLUNTS

Last edited by tonyis3l33t : 09-16-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Unread 02-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Steward of the Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quib
The names of the places are text objects in the XML, so for connection lines, you'd want the image to have a background color block behind the area name and the line between them, but you'll probably want to leave the area name lettering out of the actual image. Also, the location of The Sunken City label has moved since you made that image.
Well, that's going to make life more interesting. Ah well, I'll figure out a way to make it work.
Unread 02-08-2005, 02:22 PM
A Griffon

Assuming you have photoshop, open the default freeport map file, take a screenshot in-game and put it as a layer over the raw file, lined up exactly. Draw the connections on a layer above the screenshot layer. Delete the screenshot layer, flatten image, and save.

Quib
Unread 02-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Steward of the Faithful

Good suggestion, Quib. Seems to have worked pretty well. Here's the Freeport test file, just to make sure it works on more than just my machine (I'm worried the labels won't show up quite the same on other systems, since you mentioned that Sunken City isn't in the same location on your display)

Edit: Added screenshot of how it looks on my system (i.e. how it should look)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Freeport City Map with Connections and Bells.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	1114  
Attached Files
File Type: dds map_freeport_all.dds (256.1 KB, 354 views)

Last edited by ger : 02-08-2005 at 03:51 PM.
Unread 02-08-2005, 04:30 PM
EQ2MAP Webmaster

Server: Unkown
Send a message via Skype™ to Eloa

the mariners bell should stand out a lil more IMO
Unread 02-08-2005, 04:47 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ger
Good suggestion, Quib. Seems to have worked pretty well. Here's the Freeport test file, just to make sure it works on more than just my machine (I'm worried the labels won't show up quite the same on other systems, since you mentioned that Sunken City isn't in the same location on your display)

Edit: Added screenshot of how it looks on my system (i.e. how it should look)
You need to get the new official release and it'll shift your "The Sunken City" label to the right 35 pixels. Other than that, it looks just like my map and works great.

Quib
Unread 02-08-2005, 05:11 PM
A Griffon

Server: Neriak

A couple thoughts and comments:

1) ger, that is a great idea! I'd love it if you (or someone) did one for Qeynos as well...

What do you think about having a slightly different bell icon for 'Outside Qeynos/Freeport' and 'Within Qeynos/Freeport'?

The natural evolution of your idea would be to do the same with the world map and mariners bell paths there..

2) Quib, are you sure that a single thread for suggestions is a good idea? Won't this thread become just as convoluted as the dev thread was? I think there should be a new section made for people to add a thread for each idea they have - that way each idea can be discussed ad naseum without 'crosstalk' about other topics.
Unread 02-08-2005, 05:23 PM
A Griffon

1) There is a bell for outside as well as inside freeport in each zone with a bell, so there's no point differentiating.

2) Nah, I prefer the one giant thread approach. As long as I keep up to speed with it, there shouldn't be any problems. I wasn't even expecting this much discussion or work shown, was expecting people to just drop by and go "hey, is X possible?" which I suspect will happen eventually.

Quib
Unread 02-08-2005, 06:57 PM
A Sea Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quib
1) There is a bell for outside as well as inside freeport in each zone with a bell, so there's no point differentiating.

2) Nah, I prefer the one giant thread approach. As long as I keep up to speed with it, there shouldn't be any problems. I wasn't even expecting this much discussion or work shown, was expecting people to just drop by and go "hey, is X possible?" which I suspect will happen eventually.

Quib
Ok I will be the one to do the Hey, is X possible .... Is it possible to attach a realtime loc coordinates to the map so as you are moving it updates so you do not have to have your cursor on the Compass to see the loc? Other than that great mod and look forward to the above mentioned updates.
Unread 02-08-2005, 07:07 PM
EQ2MAP Webmaster

Server: Unkown
Send a message via Skype™ to Eloa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paganstar
Ok I will be the one to do the Hey, is X possible .... Is it possible to attach a realtime loc coordinates to the map so as you are moving it updates so you do not have to have your cursor on the Compass to see the loc? Other than that great mod and look forward to the above mentioned updates.
It is possible with the latest EQ2 update, and we are currently working on it as an optional addon.
Unread 02-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Steward of the Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killarny
A couple thoughts and comments:

1) ger, that is a great idea! I'd love it if you (or someone) did one for Qeynos as well...

What do you think about having a slightly different bell icon for 'Outside Qeynos/Freeport' and 'Within Qeynos/Freeport'?
I'll be doing one for Qeynos shortly, I just wanted to make sure it actually worked and there was interest. With regard to the inside/outside, as was pointed out both exist in most belled locations. However, I'm considering putting in "special" bell icons (EL/Zek, etc) and I plan to differentiate Freeport access from Qeynos access in the world map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killarny
The natural evolution of your idea would be to do the same with the world map and mariners bell paths there..
Yup. It's on my to-do list. I started with Freeport because that's what came up when I logged my alchemist toon in. All in good time. I hope to have Freeport and Qeynos finalized tomorrow. I'll need some help with the world map zone connections, since I haven't been beyond TS/Nek (excepting some direct-bell trips through EL to skip the Nek run on my way from Freeport to Qeynos.)
Unread 02-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Steward of the Faithful

Finished the revised Freeport connections map, I'll attach it below. Started in on the Qeynos version, but I've run into two problems:

1) Oakmyst Forest, Forest Ruin, and Peat Bog aren't labelled.

2) Graystone Yard and Castleview Hamlet overlap eachother when it comes to adding backgrounds. (If Forest Ruin were labelled it would have the same overlap problem with The Willowwood)

So, for the time being the Qeynos version is on hold.

Quib: would you like to add/reposition the labels in the XML or shall I do it and send you the modified code? Once we get that squared away I'll finish and post the Qeynos version.

World map connections: here's what I know, I need folks to add to this so I can flesh out the linkages.

Code:
Freeport -> Commonlands -> Nektulos Forest => Thundering Steppes
         => Enchanted Lands => Nektulos Forest
         => Zek

Qeynos -> Antonica -> Thundering Steppes => Nektulos Forest
       => Zek

-> land connection
=> voyage by sea connection
Once I get a decently comprehensive list of what connects to what, either by bell or by land, I'll draw up the linkages. Please also include info if there's more than one bell. (Does the same bell jump directly from Freeport to Zek and Everfrost, for instance? Or does that bell only go to Zek/Enchanted Lands and another serves Everfrost, etc. I'll be color-coding bells by what they link to.)

Edit: Forgot to upload the Freeport final DDS.
Attached Files
File Type: dds map_freeport_all.dds (128.1 KB, 324 views)

Last edited by ger : 02-08-2005 at 09:14 PM.
Unread 02-08-2005, 09:24 PM
A Griffon

If you're willing to move them yourself, that'd be great (and place new ones) as I can't use UIBuilder so graphical work like that'd take me like an hour.

I think I'm gonna include these zone connection maps in the main download, rather than having them as options. People can always delete them if they don't want 'em.

It'll be a little while before the next major release (gonna modularize the XML first, and get at least 1 new map in).

Quib
Unread 02-08-2005, 09:29 PM
Steward of the Faithful

Edit: Handled. New Qeynos label code, DDS file, and screenshot for those curious how it turned out below.

Code:
<Page Location="1,2" Name="QeynosNames" ScrollExtent="436,506" Size="436,506" Visible="false">
<Text AbsorbsInput="false" Font="/Fonts.FontZapf18" LocalText="Elddar" Location="168,184" Name="qey_elddar" ScrollExtent="55,22" ShadowStyle="/ShadowStyles.Outline1" Size="55,22" TextAlignment="Center" TextAlignmentVertical="Center">Elddar</Text>
<Text AbsorbsInput="false" Font="/Fonts.FontZapf18" LocalText="Harbor" Location="149,282" Name="qey_harbor" ScrollExtent="59,22" ShadowStyle="/ShadowStyles.Outline1" Size="59,22" TextAlignment="Center" TextAlignmentVertical="Center">Harbor</Text>
<Text AbsorbsInput="false" Font="/Fonts.FontZapf18" LocalText="North" Location="281,225" Name="qey_north" ScrollExtent="50,22" ShadowStyle="/ShadowStyles.Outline1" Size="50,22" TextAlignment="Center" TextAlignmentVertical="Center">North</Text>
<Text AbsorbsInput="false" Font="/Fonts.FontZapf18" LocalText="South" Location="228,322" Name="qey_south" ScrollExtent="51,22" ShadowStyle="/ShadowStyles.Outline1" Size="51,22" TextAlignment="Center" TextAlignmentVertical="Center">South</Text>
<Text AbsorbsInput="false" Font="/Fonts.FontZapf18" LocalText="Nettleville Hovel" Location="224,367" Name="qey_village01" ScrollExtent="85,40" ShadowStyle="/ShadowStyles.Outline1" Size="85,40" TextAlignment="Center" TextAlignmentVertical="Center">Nettleville Hovel</Text>
<Text AbsorbsInput="false" Font="/Fonts.FontZapf18" LocalText="Starcrest Commune" Location="131,351" Name="qey_village02" ScrollExtent="74,49" ShadowStyle="/ShadowStyles.Outline1" Size="74,49" TextAlignment="Center" TextAlignmentVertical="Center">Starcrest Commune</Text>
<Text AbsorbsInput="false" Font="/Fonts.FontZapf18" LocalText="Graystone Yard" Location="70,246" Name="qey_village03" ScrollExtent="80,40" ShadowStyle="/ShadowStyles.Outline1" Size="80,40" TextAlignment="Center" TextAlignmentVertical="Center">Graystone Yard</Text>
<Text AbsorbsInput="false" Font="/Fonts.FontZapf18" LocalText="Castleview Hamlet" Location="157,225" Name="qey_village04" ScrollExtent="82,40" ShadowStyle="/ShadowStyles.Outline1" Size="82,40" TextAlignment="Center" TextAlignmentVertical="Center">Castleview Hamlet</Text>
<Text AbsorbsInput="false" Font="/Fonts.FontZapf18" LocalText="Willow Wood" Location="155,70" Name="qey_village05" ScrollExtent="70,40" ShadowStyle="/ShadowStyles.Outline1" Size="70,40" TextAlignment="Center" TextAlignmentVertical="Center">Willow Wood</Text>
<Text AbsorbsInput="false" Font="/Fonts.FontZapf18" LocalText="Baubbleshire" Location="84,122" Name="qey_village06" ScrollExtent="104,22" ShadowStyle="/ShadowStyles.Outline1" Size="104,22" TextAlignment="Center" TextAlignmentVertical="Center">Baubbleshire</Text>
<Text AbsorbsInput="false" Font="/Fonts.FontZapf18" LocalText="Forest Ruins" Location="80,60" Name="forest_ruins" ScrollExtent="60,40" ShadowStyle="/ShadowStyles.Outline1" Size="60,40" TextAlignment="Center" TextAlignmentVertical="Center">Forest Ruins</Text>
<Text AbsorbsInput="false" Font="/Fonts.FontZapf18" LocalText="Oakmyst Forest" Location="90,170" Name="oakmyst_forest" ScrollExtent="72,40" ShadowStyle="/ShadowStyles.Outline1" Size="72,40" TextAlignment="Center" TextAlignmentVertical="Center">Oakmyst Forest</Text>
<Text AbsorbsInput="false" Font="/Fonts.FontZapf18" LocalText="Peat Bog" Location="180,420" Name="peat_bog" ScrollExtent="60,22" ShadowStyle="/ShadowStyles.Outline1" Size="60,22" TextAlignment="Center" TextAlignmentVertical="Center">Peat Bog</Text>
</Page>
P.S. Yes, Qeynos zone connections are weird. Very, very weird. If I can figure out where Caves is supposed to be geographically I'll add a label and a bell'd background, but I honestly have no bloody clue where it is.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	map_qey_all.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	1122  
Attached Files
File Type: dds map_qey_all.dds (128.1 KB, 325 views)

Last edited by ger : 02-08-2005 at 10:33 PM.
Unread 02-08-2005, 10:59 PM
Steward of the Faithful

{Bump because editting my last post to include the finished Qeynos info didn't update the unread listings}
Unread 02-08-2005, 11:22 PM
A Griffon

Awesome, this is so gonna be part of the main release.

Quib
Unread 02-08-2005, 11:37 PM
Steward of the Faithful

Update on world zone connections (thanks to Sorchak on Antonia Bayle for the new info)

Code:
Freeport -> Commonlands -> Nektulos Forest => Thundering Steppes
         => Zek => Thundering Steppes
         => Feerrott => Thundering Steppes
         => Everfrost => Zek

Qeynos -> Antonica -> Thundering Steppes => Nektulos Forest
       => Zek => Thundering Steppes
       => Feerrott => Thundering Steppes
       => Everforst => Zek
If anyone can tell me where the return bell from Lavastorm drops you I can get the world map set up tomorrow at work.
Unread 02-08-2005, 11:44 PM
a hedgehog

Server: Nagafen
Send a message via AIM to tonyis3l33t Send a message via Yahoo to tonyis3l33t

ok i recommend this be either an optional download or optionally viewed its awesome, of course....but like the icons dealy what if people just wanna see the map?
________
Buy Bubblers

Last edited by tonyis3l33t : 09-16-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Unread 02-08-2005, 11:50 PM
A Griffon

Server: Neriak

They can delete the files if they don't want it..

I vote for including it, because as with the icons, this isn't an alternative to the way the mod currently handles the world/city maps - it's the only way it is being handled now. I don't think that made any sense, but maybe it did.
Unread 02-08-2005, 11:55 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyis3l33t
ok i recommend this be either an optional download or optionally viewed its awesome, of course....but like the icons dealy what if people just wanna see the map?
Well, they can just delete the DDS files if they really don't want to see the connections (I'll include pretty exact directions on how to in the readme), but the original maps are essentially useless; they were just eye-candy for when you were in unmapped zones. They barely show relative connections between areas, and you can still see the map, the colors are transparent and the lines aren't overwhelming.

ger, make sure you keep your photoshop files that have the image in layers... we could always just layer an image inbetween the map and the text labels and include a button to hide/show the zone connections.

In either their current form or as an in-between image layer, they won't just be an add-on.

Basically, my rule of thumb is, optional is for personal taste (like loc icon style for example), default is as informative as possible. In other words, if the information isn't present in the default UI (and map related) we'll have it.

Quib
Unread 02-09-2005, 12:18 AM
Steward of the Faithful

Already have the PSD layered versions saved elsewhere (mostly in case I messed something up and had to fix it in a hurry )
Unread 02-09-2005, 01:10 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Permafrost
Default Another Suggestion

Great job all of you as always. Two things I could think of, and both are a little "out there" so to speak:

1) I have the map semi opaque so that one can see and use simultaneously ( i doubt it is possible however)
2) Get a few higher level zones as well (altho I have already deduced that you are most likely working in ascending order). Just a couple popular ones were it might be easy to find help in doing so. Rivervale and Runnyeye in particular come to mind.

Thanx again