Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > ProfitUI

Unread 09-12-2016, 10:13 AM
A Dervish Cutthroat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Avast: "Threat has been detected"

Listened to Avast chirp that for every single one of the new updates posted to
link removed

URL/Mal is what it was whining about.

I did not have problems with the last set of updates.

Last edited by Dolby : 09-12-2016 at 04:28 PM. Reason: removed link per owners request
Unread 09-12-2016, 04:08 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

If you feel that Therendil and I are putting malware into your files, then stop using the UI. Otherwise we would appreciate it if you would remove the link to the updater files, thank you. Exposing information of this type on a public message board is unwise and dangerous. At best, it is completely unnecessary for resolving your issue.
Unread 09-12-2016, 04:44 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Looks like a false positive. You can report it to Avast here: https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php
Unread 09-14-2016, 07:05 AM
A Dervish Cutthroat

Server: Antonia Bayle

Darqwood, I do not think you are posting malware, and am rather insulted that was your first thought.

I was asking for help in clearing up the issue so I COULD continue to use the UI. Sometimes it is something in the coding that triggers the flag and can be resolved simply, especially if I was not the only one having the issue. I had not gotten such a message before in all my YEARS of using the UI and promoting it to others.

At least you did confirm that the path was the proper one and not high-jacked.
Unread 09-14-2016, 12:22 PM
A Griffon

I saw nothing in offkilterkitty's post that accused us of posting code with malware in it, and my first thought was annoyance at yet another false positive result from someone's security software.

I do, however, agree that posting the direct server link in the forums was a bad idea and I am pleased to see that the link has been edited out.

I hope Avast is able to correct their detection database to eliminate the issue.

-= Therendil =-
Unread 09-14-2016, 08:10 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therendil View Post

I hope Avast is able to correct their detection database to eliminate the issue.

-= Therendil =-

These are straight-up simple txt and xml ASCII files, distributed with industry standard compression over industry standard connections. Frankly, if "Avast" chokes on the utterly simplest of the simple, then I have zero confidence in the accuracy of their detections.

Unread 09-14-2016, 07:56 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by offkilterkitty View Post
Darqwood, I do not think you are posting malware, and am rather insulted that was your first thought.

I was asking for help in clearing up the issue so I COULD continue to use the UI. Sometimes it is something in the coding that triggers the flag and can be resolved simply, especially if I was not the only one having the issue. I had not gotten such a message before in all my YEARS of using the UI and promoting it to others.

At least you did confirm that the path was the proper one and not high-jacked.

Forgive me if you were insulted. But I was surprised to say the least to see the equivalent of home address, phone number and social security number of my server broadcast on a public message board. Possibly -- and this is just me thinking out loud -- it may be more prudent if one is concerned about a web server being hijacked to send a private message to Therendil or me with the internet address in question. I promise we will take a personal interest in helping to sort out any concerns.