EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Interface Discussion > Pre-Beta

Unread 03-12-2005, 06:37 AM
A Grove Wisp
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Lavastorm
Default GROUP WINDOW with Assist button?

This is a good idea, but I have no idea how to do it. I'm hoping one of the other advanced XML'ers will read this and take on the challenge to do the actual code (if possible).

My idea is to make a group window that has a Target Assist button next to the name.
This is so you never have to make an assist macro and then update the damn thing when ever you join a new grp or the main tank/puller changes.
I have not fully researched alturnative to trying to assist while in grp, but the people I talk to all say just make a macro, or hit the F1-F6 key. Well there are problems with using those methods (pet wont attack, some spells don't cast) and I would like a more efficent way of doing that.

Again, I have no idea if this is possible, but I praying to the XML gods for a miracle.

Thx,
Trip
Unread 03-12-2005, 06:45 AM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Why not just target the main tank and attack? You'll automaticly atk what the main tank is attacking. All atk spells will be directed at the mob the MT is on and all good spells like healing will be on the MT.
Unread 03-12-2005, 08:27 AM
A Grove Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby
Why not just target the main tank and attack? You'll automaticly atk what the main tank is attacking. All atk spells will be directed at the mob the MT is on and all good spells like healing will be on the MT.
If you read my entire post you would understand...
"Well there are problems with using those methods (pet wont attack, some spells don't cast) and I would like a more efficent way of doing that."

I could also right click the puller everytime, but that is a real pain in the but when there are players, pets, 15 mobs surrounding the puller.

I can't stress enough that i'm looking for a more efficent way. Isn't that what this website is for anyways?

Last edited by NobodySpecial : 03-12-2005 at 08:30 AM.
Unread 03-12-2005, 11:09 AM
A Griffon

Server: Lucan DLere

I understand the idea of this, and it would be pretty nifty.

At first glance I 'think' that it would be possible.

I've not monkied with the group windows yet so I'm not sure.
There are many, many things that could prevent this from working.
But an assist click button next to the names on the group window, 'might' be possible.
Or maybe check boxes next to each name, that the one checked is the one your character can do the assist on.

If nothing else it might be possible to program a button to do something like,

OnPress="(assist (who %t))" <- don't laugh, that's just to get the idea, I've no idea what the syntax would be. Plus i'm not sure that would be any better than just setting up a key for assist, and hitting the appropriate F key, than the assist key.

Hmm.....
Seems like it would be a fun mod to try.

I solo ALOT and so I'll probably not look into this project but I will be curious to see if anyone picks it up.
Unread 03-12-2005, 11:55 AM
A Forest Scavenger

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default /assist

I understand people concern with 'assist thru'; however you do not need to nessicarly make an '/assist Joe' macro button.

I just have a macroo that is '/assist'. Target main tank, hit that button. problem solved. might not be as easy in battle as having one 'coded' for the main tnaks name; but at least i never have to update it.
Unread 03-12-2005, 12:03 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frakboy9
I understand people concern with 'assist thru'; however you do not need to nessicarly make an '/assist Joe' macro button.

I just have a macroo that is '/assist'. Target main tank, hit that button. problem solved. might not be as easy in battle as having one 'coded' for the main tnaks name; but at least i never have to update it.
that is how I do it also. F# than /assit macro.

If we could combine these two steps in one command than I think some people would find it useful. Having to select the main tank then click a button doesn't save any steps.
The issue I have is that the main tank is always on a different F# key, and it takes me a second to get used to the new one. In pickup groups that are short lived it gets to be a pain.

What would be nice if there was a button or click box next to the person's name in the group window that would allow you to bind the assist key to that person the whole time. So then you would only have to click the /assist button and it would work the same as /assist Joe

Overall desire for this might be pretty low, meaning no body will pick up the project.
Unread 03-12-2005, 12:06 PM
A Griffon

Server: Blackburrow

/assist group_member_1
/assist group_member_2
/assist group_member_3
/assist group_member_4
/assist group_member_5

I think thats how it goes... Or just plain /target group_member_1

either way you get the assist (either via target or implied window) without typing a name or anything.

Don't know if the onpress event can do that though

-Selae
Unread 03-12-2005, 12:09 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selae
/assist group_member_1
/assist group_member_2
/assist group_member_3
/assist group_member_4
/assist group_member_5

I think thats how it goes... Or just plain /target group_member_1

either way you get the assist (either via target or implied window) without typing a name or anything.

Don't know if the onpress event can do that though

-Selae

I can't imagin why that wouldn't work with the OnPress Event or even the OnSelect depending on the type of widget the group window uses.

So thanks! Very sweet. I'm at work at the moment and can't play with this, but I'm sure someone will do it now. Thanks for the command.
Unread 03-12-2005, 01:45 PM
A Griffon

This will work...

Assist.zip

All you have to do is push the sword icon next to the group members name and you will be assisting that player. Hope that helps...

Unread 03-12-2005, 02:17 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyeJae
This will work...

Assist.zip

All you have to do is push the sword icon next to the group members name and you will be assisting that player. Hope that helps...

Awesome thanks. I'm going to have to check that out and add it to the group window mod that I am currently using!

Do you have to click the button on every enemy?
I'm in the habit of re-assisting on each mob, i'm not even sure it's needed, but I do it. I'm anxious to try this!
Unread 03-12-2005, 02:52 PM
A Griffon

Yes you will have to re-assist after every mob because you stop fighting when the mob targeted dies. I should probably add "attack" with the button too, right now you have to push that button to assist, then push the attack button. I will add that now actually...

TyeJae
Unread 03-12-2005, 02:57 PM
A Griffon

Ok I did not test this second one to see if it would actually "attack" when you push the button, but I am 95% sure it will.

Assist_v2

Let me know if it works, I have to head out to my sons birthday party...

TyeJae
Unread 03-12-2005, 10:21 PM
A Grove Wisp

Default Thanks Soooo Much!!!

Quote:
This will work...

Assist.zip

I cannot thank you guys enough. I'm so touched that all of you read through this, put some code together and came up with a working prototype in like a DAY!! You guys are the best and keep up the great work on everything that you do.

With great gratitude,
Trip
Unread 03-12-2005, 10:45 PM
Steward of the Faithful

Quote:
Ok I did not test this second one to see if it would actually "attack" when you push the button, but I am 95% sure it will.

Assist_v2

Let me know if it works, I have to head out to my sons birthday party...

TyeJae
The assist function works, attack doesn't. If I figure anything out I'll post it.
Unread 03-13-2005, 12:37 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ger
The assist function works, attack doesn't. If I figure anything out I'll post it.
Hmmm...lol I guess my 95% doesn't mean anything...lol. I don't know why it didn't work...well atleast the assist works.

TyeJae
Unread 03-13-2005, 12:58 AM
Steward of the Faithful

Quote:
Hmmm...lol I guess my 95% doesn't mean anything...lol. I don't know why it didn't work...well atleast the assist works.

TyeJae
To be fair, I just looked at the code in your version and shoved a button into my own (I use a very slightly mod'd group window that shrinks the effects icons so they don't overlap with my target window.) So the error may be on my end, but I'm pretty sure it's the exact same code for the OnPress. The only major difference is that I included the style in the group window (which ended up causing a fair number of problems—I forgot that the Find style is in a page, so when I copied it into GroupMembers I ended up covering up half of my group window…oops!) Anyway, great idea on the implementation, and a single-button assist is certainly better than we had before. Good job.
Unread 03-13-2005, 01:20 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ger
To be fair, I just looked at the code in your version and shoved a button into my own (I use a very slightly mod'd group window that shrinks the effects icons so they don't overlap with my target window.) So the error may be on my end, but I'm pretty sure it's the exact same code for the OnPress. The only major difference is that I included the style in the group window (which ended up causing a fair number of problems—I forgot that the Find style is in a page, so when I copied it into GroupMembers I ended up covering up half of my group window…oops!) Anyway, great idea on the implementation, and a single-button assist is certainly better than we had before. Good job.

I tested it after I submitted that last post and it didn't work. I also tried to add OnRelease= attack, but that didn't work either. I'll keep trying.

TyeJae
Unread 03-13-2005, 03:18 AM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

Send a message via AIM to taco-man Send a message via MSN to taco-man Send a message via Yahoo to taco-man

its been a long time since i have played eq but doesnt assist turn on attack already?
Unread 03-13-2005, 03:54 AM
A Grove Wisp

Default Uploaded Mod

I took TyeJae's Grp window and tweaked it a little. I'm gonna post this in the DL section so other players can use. I fully tested tonight and it works perfectly they way I intended. I have not made one target selection error while in grp since TyeJae released the code.

Thank again,
Trip
Unread 03-13-2005, 12:09 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodySpecial
I took TyeJae's Grp window and tweaked it a little. I'm gonna post this in the DL section so other players can use. I fully tested tonight and it works perfectly they way I intended. I have not made one target selection error while in grp since TyeJae released the code.

Thank again,
Trip
Good Deal...I am glad I could help =)

TyeJae
Unread 03-14-2005, 01:08 AM
A Grove Wisp

Default Group Leader

There is one more thing that Id like to change now that I think about it...

Who ever is grp leader has their name in bright Yellow versus one who is not the leader (light yellow).

Question is what controls the grp leader and player colors?

What I want to do is make the group leader name in bright purple or something that stands out, but again, dont know how to do it.

Thanks,
Trip
Unread 03-14-2005, 06:15 AM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

Quote:
I can't stress enough that i'm looking for a more efficent way. Isn't that what this website is for anyways?
I'm sorry I was only trying to help an no way what I posted was to discourage you I thought maybe you didnt know. I skim posts alot because I read alot and also working on site upgrades, aproveing mods, server upgrades, security patches and stomping bugs. No need for you to be mean because I missed something in your post.

Last edited by Dolby : 03-14-2005 at 06:19 AM.
Unread 03-14-2005, 06:48 AM
A Grove Wisp

Quote:
I'm sorry I was only trying to help an no way what I posted was to discourage you I thought maybe you didnt know. I skim posts alot because I read alot and also working on site upgrades, aproveing mods, server upgrades, security patches and stomping bugs. No need for you to be mean because I missed something in your post.
I ment nore implied any offence and if I did I apologise. If I came off seeming hostile, it may be because I have heard "why dont u do this or this" a thousand times when ever I talked about this subject in-game. But all is well and I never had any hard feelings. I just pointing out the specifics of what I desired. Again i'm sorry.

Even though I don't envy your job, I do think the world of all you guys who admin, post, code, and help others. Everyone involved in this website, EQ2Map, and they coders who share their mods deserve a tremendous amout of respect and gratitude.

Keep up the good work,
Trip
Unread 03-14-2005, 07:06 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Crushbone

Quote:
There is one more thing that Id like to change now that I think about it...

Who ever is grp leader has their name in bright Yellow versus one who is not the leader (light yellow).

Question is what controls the grp leader and player colors?

What I want to do is make the group leader name in bright purple or something that stands out, but again, dont know how to do it.

Thanks,
Trip
The color information on these items comes with the DynamicData for the group members name so there might not be a way to change that yet.
Unread 03-14-2005, 06:59 PM
A Griffon

Server: Unrest

Quote:
There are disadvantages to both systems. If I have an enchanter in my group, as MT, I insist that people use /assist rather than target me and autoattack.

Why?

Because when we get an add with an enchanter were suppose to ignore it, problem is the enchanter has too few of hitpoints and no Runes/wards to take hits while they are trying to mez. So what I do is turn off autoattack, change targets, taunt once, change back to the original mob and start autoattacking again. If peopel are autoassisting rather than using /assist, they rotate around and start whacking the mob that is trying to be mez'd.

The only other solution to that scenario is to have a secondary tank be the peeler (person who takes aggro on extra mobs). This has problems too.

Using /assist is a problem though if its used to soon in the fight. Its requires that the non-MT/MA watch close to make sure they are on the same mob as the tank when the tank switches shortly after pulling.