Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Interface Discussion > Beta

Unread 03-14-2005, 08:51 PM
Steward of the Faithful
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default UI Installer

Submitted for download. Once it gets approved, please try to break this thing so I can make it better. I'm especially interested in comments on the status bar messages and the directions, although all bug reports/feature requests are welcome. (Enjoy the teaser screenshot while you wait for Dolby to aprove the download )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UIInstaller.png
Views:	996
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	1833  
Unread 03-14-2005, 11:46 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

Looks good, great work!
You deserve some dancing tacos
Unread 03-16-2005, 02:29 PM
A Griffon

Server: Lucan DLere

Is there a way that UI Authors can use your program to make an auto-instaling package?

Sortof like a self-extracting zip folder.

This would allow the downloaders to hit the download button and select 'open' instead of save, to install the package?
The authors could upload after we have created the selfextracing file using your mod.

Personaly, I'm feeling things are getting a little complicated for end users.
With the map mod program updater, this program, the UI switcher program, the customprests program, the character UI.INI switcher, copier.

It's all getting quiet complicated for end users.
I know the UI Switcher and installer you want to make into one program eventually, but perhaps it would be better to just use it as a tool for authors, and totally remove the end users from the equation. Then they could use the UI switcher if they wanted to.
The Character INI switcher/copier could be combined with the UI switcher, so that it switches the UIs and the Character INI settings at the same time.

OR, they could just fix /loadUI, but I dont' think that is every goign to work in a way that it could replace the character.ini settings. because that information is simply not stored in the mods.
But perhaps it will save a different copy of the character.ini file in each folder..

Wait a minute. Has anyone tried that?
Does the game look in the custom folder for the character.ini also? or will it only look in root? Wow, now that would be grand. you could jsut have a character.ini file in each mod folder, and it would read it when it's switched.
like it does the other XML documents.

EDIT: In case I sounded like I was smoking crack. I would like to see only one file when I download a mod, and double click on that file and it run like a regular installer. If we want to get more sophisticated, how about making it register with windows also, so that if the user doens't like it. It can be removed with add/remove programs.

Last edited by Kosmos : 03-16-2005 at 02:42 PM.
Unread 03-16-2005, 02:41 PM
Steward of the Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmos
Is there a way that UI Authors can use your program to make an auto-instaling package?
Yes and no. I ran a quick test by renaming a valid install ZIP to .EQI and then double clicked it. When asked what program to use to open it I browsed to the UIInstaller and set it as the default program. The mod then installed as you'd expect. So if I add some code that checks the registry associations for a file type (EQI in this example) and then sets it to open with UIInstaller we could allow users to download directly to the installer, cutting out a lot of the in-between steps.

Quote:
Personaly, I'm feeling things are getting a little complicated for end users.
With the map mod program updater, this program, the UI switcher program, the customprests program, the character UI.INI switcher, copier.

It's all getting quiet complicated for end users.
I disagree. Every one of these programs is far simpler for the end user than the alternative. Not only that, but you assume that every user will be using all of the utilities, which isn't the case in many if not most instances.

Quote:
I know the UI Switcher and installer you want to make into one program eventually, but perhaps it would be better to just use it as a tool for authors, and totally remove the end users from the equation. Then they could use the UI switcher if they wanted to.
Not sure where you got the idea that I intended to roll Switcher and Installer into a single application. They're part of the same suite, not the same program. The intent has always been that the Installer was primarilly for authors to include with their mods (although with the new ideas about specially-named ZIPs even that may not be necessary) to allow end-users to install mods simply and correctly. Once the mods have been properly installed the Switcher is designed to allow end-users to easily move back and forth between different UIs.

Quote:
The Character INI switcher/copier could be combined with the UI switcher, so that it switches the UIs and the Character INI settings at the same time.
That's how it works now. Once Dolby approves the latest update check it out, it still needs a bit of UI tweaking to make it more obvious which are the basic user options and which were intended for advanced users, but on the whole I think it's relatively powerful as well as easy to use.
Unread 03-16-2005, 04:36 PM
A Griffon

"I disagree. Every one of these programs is far simpler for the end user than the alternative. Not only that, but you assume that every user will be using all of the utilities, which isn't the case in many if not most instances."

Ok, I'll agree, you are correct. It's simplier than the alternative, I hadn't considered that.

Thats' great about the character INI files though!
I don't switch between the skins much, just use pieces here and there, but that utilitie will be awesome for the guys that put out the complete sets with the character files included!!!
Unread 03-16-2005, 05:15 PM
A Griffon

Server: Blackburrow

Personally I find programs like the UI Installer, and UI Switcher, and EQ2MAP updater very helpful. Sure they are not for everyone, but for those that want these tools they make things so much easier.

Back in the EQ1 days, I used the Garyik's INI Copier extensively, as many of the Complete UI mods I used required I copied the Author's INI file to my Characters so that the layout was correct. And the Maps well the Maps that were available for EQ1 well many times my Guildies had no Idea how install maps back in EQ1 they would download the map zip file from Mapfiend and then save the zip file in their Map folder in EQ1 it did no good having the maps zipped in that folder. With the tools Ger and Taco-Man have made it makes updating our EQ2 maps, and UI's so much easier.

I wish we had more tools like this back in the EQ1 days. I had to write installers for my Guild for all the EQ1 Map packs, and all the UI's. Tools like these would have saved me so much time and work.

Great Job to all of the Tool Authors.

[Guild Leader] Tiggler is my Main, Humudce is my Alt on Blackburrow.
Unread 03-16-2005, 05:27 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humudce
Personally I find programs like the UI Installer, and UI Switcher, and EQ2MAP updater very helpful. Sure they are not for everyone, but for those that want these tools they make things so much easier.

Back in the EQ1 days, I used the Garyik's INI Copier extensively, as many of the Complete UI mods I used required I copied the Author's INI file to my Characters so that the layout was correct. And the Maps well the Maps that were available for EQ1 well many times my Guildies had no Idea how install maps back in EQ1 they would download the map zip file from Mapfiend and then save the zip file in their Map folder in EQ1 it did no good having the maps zipped in that folder. With the tools Ger and Taco-Man have made it makes updating our EQ2 maps, and UI's so much easier.

I wish we had more tools like this back in the EQ1 days. I had to write installers for my Guild for all the EQ1 Map packs, and all the UI's. Tools like these would have saved me so much time and work.

Great Job to all of the Tool Authors.
The tools are great! Don't get me wrong! I'll be using them for sure.
It was just more of a comment and general woudlnt' it be nice down the road if..
fewer steps = fewer chances for mistakes in any thing a person does, so of course if we can combine steps, or do a couple extra steps oursleves before publishing the mods, I think that would be best over all.

I know there are some people that find it too difficult to get mods posted, or at least would rather just pust an attachment and be done with it, but personally I really like the layout of the Downloads section and get get a pretty good idea of what I'm getting before I try it, compared to the attachment method.

I don't think there are many end-users that would not like the option to install the mod from the site though! Than they don't have to handle any files really. Just find the mod they want to try and downloadit and they would be good to go and see if they like it.
Unread 03-20-2005, 03:17 AM
Steward of the Faithful

New version uploaded for approval.

New Features:
* Install location is now remembered across sessions.
* Find now presents a picklist when it locates more than one instance of EQ2.
* Find now retains its data and will only scan your hard drives once per session.
* EQI files may now be associated with UIInstaller. (EQIs are renamed ZIPs for the purpose of direct-download and single-click installs)
* Applied EQ2-esque visual style.

And, as always, some teaser screenshots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UIInstaller-Main.png
Views:	492
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1976  Click image for larger version

Name:	UIInstaller-LocationSelect.png
Views:	437
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1977  Click image for larger version

Name:	UIInstaller-Overwrite.png
Views:	434
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	1978  
Unread 03-20-2005, 11:24 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
Please do not use a generic name for your zipfile. Put your name or give your interface a real name other then using a generic name. Failure to do this may result in your file being corrupted.
Ok, ger I uploaded the new tracking update with 'I think' the correct format to work with your installer. One thing I am worried about is the message that I posted above. If we all start uploading files called EQ2Interface.zip is it going to cause problems?

For the UI Installer to work my file has to be named that correct?
I'm at work so I can test the installer.

EDIT: This is the file I uploaded.
Attached Files
File Type: zip EQ2Interface.zip (4.0 KB, 375 views)
Unread 03-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Steward of the Faithful

Quote:
Ok, ger I uploaded the new tracking update with 'I think' the correct format to work with your installer. One thing I am worried about is the message that I posted above. If we all start uploading files called EQ2Interface.zip is it going to cause problems?
Yeah, that would cause problems. The original idea was that you packed the installer and EQ2Interface.zip in whatever you would normally have named your zip, but that's no longer necessary.

Quote:
For the UI Installer to work my file has to be named that correct?
I'm at work so I can test the installer.

EDIT: This is the file I uploaded.
Not anymore. I'd say edit your submission to whatever you would normally have called your zip and wait a couple days. There's a big surprise in store. (I hope )
Unread 03-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Steward of the Faithful

Within the next few days I'll be going from Beta to Release on UIInstaller. If you've noticed any bugs or thought of a feature that would be useful, but hasn't made it into a Beta version yet, please post about it. I rely on you guys and gals to smack me in the back of the head when I've messed up or forgotten something, you know.

Updates since yesterday's release:
* "Associate with EQI files" now forces Internet Explorer to open-on-click instead of presenting the save/open dialog

Last edited by ger : 03-20-2005 at 11:34 AM.
Unread 03-20-2005, 11:40 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ger
Yeah, that would cause problems. The original idea was that you packed the installer and EQ2Interface.zip in whatever you would normally have named your zip, but that's no longer necessary.

Not anymore. I'd say edit your submission to whatever you would normally have called your zip and wait a couple days. There's a big surprise in store. (I hope )

Well, as soon as I have access to the post, I'll 're-submit it" with the change. LOL.
I'm a little confused ger?
If the installer is associated with the EQ2Interface.zip files, than how's it working if you are saying we can't upload files by that name?
Unread 03-20-2005, 11:43 AM
Steward of the Faithful

Quote:
Well, as soon as I have access to the post, I'll 're-submit it" with the change. LOL.
I'm a little confused ger?
If the installer is associated with the EQ2Interface.zip files, than how's it working if you are saying we can't upload files by that name?
That was the original intent. It will still autoload EQ2Interface.zip if you don't tell it to load anything else. But with the new EQI file-type associations that isn't the only option anymore. (Like I said, surprise coming. You don't want me to go ruining it, do you? )
Unread 03-20-2005, 11:46 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ger
That was the original intent. It will still autoload EQ2Interface.zip if you don't tell it to load anything else. But with the new EQI file-type associations that isn't the only option anymore. (Like I said, surprise coming. You don't want me to go ruining it, do you? )
I understand now. I thought you meant "EQI File Type = EQ2Interface.zip"

Now *.EQI

Kewl!
Unread 03-21-2005, 02:46 AM
Steward of the Faithful

As part of integrating EQI files fully with UIInstaller I had to make it smarter. A lot smarter. Unfortunately, I'm not as smart as it is now, so I'm not 100% sure it works right anymore. It has in all the tests I've conducted, but I need some help from y'all to make sure it isn't doing anything wacky in any special instances.

So, on to what's changed and what to look for.

Updates:
* Added root folder detection for EQI archives (more on this in a minute)
* Added archive File List (Lists all files in the detected root folder and its subfolders; displays corrected folder information)
* Changed UI Information to a tabbed page to alternate between UI Information and archive File List
* Corrected UI Information display for archives where eq2ui_skininfo.xml wasn't in the top-level folder in the archive

Root Folder Detection:
So what the heck is root folder detection? Well, it's that bit of UIInstaller that's smarter than I am, and it's why I need help testing.

UIInstaller will now tarverse the entire archive structure and compare its contents to the contents of your UI\Default directory. If it finds a known filename it will track backwards through the folders until it figures out where the "real" root of an archive is.

What that means, in short, is that you can now put as many "unnecessary" parent folders in your archives as you want. UIInstaller should automatically detect where the actual UI is and install it correctly. Don't worry, files that are in "unnecessary" folders will get extracted to the install location, you won't lose anything. (I may change that to install them to a special "Parent" folder or somesuch)

Additionally, UIInstaller will no longer create empty folders. If there are no files in a folder or any of its children, that folder won't be created.

What Can You Do:
Try UIInstaller using strangely ZIPed archives. Try random archives downloaded from this site. Make sure that the File List reflects the actual UI files (it won't display anything above the detected UI root folder.) If you run into any cases where UIInstaller reports that it can't find any root folders, or that it found too many root folders, please post the details here.

Notes:
* UIs still need to retain their folder structure; UIInstaller isn't smart enough to move files out of their current archived folders, just smart enough to ignore extraneous parent folders (that means you must include the images folder for image-only UIs and you can't put images in the same archived folder as the XMLs and expect UIInstaller to put them in the correct directory.)
* UIInstaller updates its UI\Default file list when you exit; the first time you run the program it will use a hard-coded list of only the XML files in UI\Default (the auto-generated list includes every file in UI\Default and its subfolders.)
* UIInstaller locates the UI\Default folder based on where you installed your last UI to, so don't change the install location to something wacky right before you exit the program. (I have a couple ideas on how to correct that small issue, I'll try to get that fixed shortly)
* I really need to stop hunching forward to peer at Visual Studio for hours on end, my shoulders are killing me.

Edit: New version attached below.

Last edited by ger : 03-21-2005 at 04:32 AM.
Unread 03-21-2005, 03:33 AM
A Griffon

Yah forgot the direction.

I'll try it out with a couple now.
Unread 03-21-2005, 03:37 AM
Steward of the Faithful

Quote:
Yah forgot the direction.

I'll try it out with a couple now.
Same directions as posted in the download description. Usage hasn't really changed, it's just become possible to use it with more files now.
Unread 03-21-2005, 03:38 AM
A Griffon

Created New Folder on Erive where I download all my programs.
Unziped and ran the program, and the 'FIND' function was not available.
Exit program.
It created two files.
UIDefault.dir and UIInstaller.cfg

Tried to execute the .exe file again and got this error message.

Next attempt I'll try running in the eq2ui custom directory
Quote:
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at UIInstaller.installer_form1.installer_form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0
Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.2032
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
UIInstaller
Assembly Version: 1.0.1906.4153
Win32 Version: 1.0.1906.4153
CodeBase: file:///E:/Downloads(Sorted)/EQ2UIinstaller/UIInstaller.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll
ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib
Assembly Version: 0.83.1.0
Win32 Version: 0.83.1.0
CodeBase: file:///E:/Downloads(Sorted)/EQ2UIinstaller/ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
application or machine (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
rather than being handled by this dialog.

EDIT:
No matter what location I put the two files in the zip package, I get the above errors.
I've tried
C:\Programs Files\Sony\EverQuest II\
C:\Program Files\SonyEverQuest II\UI
C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II\UI\Custom

Last edited by Kosmos : 03-21-2005 at 03:44 AM.
Unread 03-21-2005, 03:41 AM
Steward of the Faithful

Open UI_Default.dir with Notepad and see if there's anything in it. Chances are it didn't poll the EQ2\UI\Default directory and it crashed out because of it. (But I'll add a check to make sure that when it opens the file it actually reads something)
Unread 03-21-2005, 03:44 AM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

Just an FYI for all you testers I'm working on an auto installer preference on the site which will change the big download button to use ger's auto installer. You can set this function by clicking on the Download UserCP link in the main menu on the front page. Then go to preferences and you should see the option to toggle.

The function is there, I just need to make things more user-friendly with some graphics and changing the “help install” button to a “what is auto installer” button incase some one enables and doesn’t know what to do.
Unread 03-21-2005, 03:46 AM
A Griffon

UI_Default is an empty file.

UI_Installer CFG has this information in it.

None of the buttons are available except 'EXIT'

install_location C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II\UI
Unread 03-21-2005, 03:47 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby
Just an FYI for all you testers I'm working on an auto installer preference on the site which will change the big download button to use ger's auto installer. You can set this function by clicking on the Download UserCP link in the main menu on the front page. Then go to preferences and you should see the option to toggle.

The function is there, I just need to make things more user-friendly with some graphics and changing the “help install” button to a “what is auto installer” button incase some one enables and doesn’t know what to do.

This will be VERY, VERY nice! And of course we appreciate all the work!!!
Unread 03-21-2005, 03:49 AM
Steward of the Faithful

Quote:
UI_Default is an empty file.

UI_Installer CFG has this information in it.

None of the buttons are available except 'EXIT'

install_location C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest II\UI
Yeah, figured. Delete UI_Default.dir and restart UIInstaller by drag-and-dropping a UI ZIP onto UIInstaller.exe. I fixed the underlying problem in the source, but part of that was by-design. (If you don't have a valid UI archive opened it isn't supposed to let you click ..., Find, or Install.)
Unread 03-21-2005, 03:51 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ger
Yeah, figured. Delete UI_Default.dir and restart UIInstaller by drag-and-dropping a UI ZIP onto UIInstaller.exe. I fixed the underlying problem in the source, but part of that was by-design. (If you don't have a valid UI archive opened it isn't supposed to let you click ..., Find, or Install.)
What do you mean have a 'valid ui archive' open?
Unread 03-21-2005, 03:53 AM
Steward of the Faithful

Quote:
What do you mean have a 'valid ui archive' open?
EQ2Interface.zip, any ZIPed mod that was drag-and-dropped onto UIInstaller.exe, or any double-clicked EQI file.