EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Help!?!?!

Unread 12-27-2005, 07:02 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Need Help Please

Hi Everyone,
I know this is probaly not the right place for this but I'm at wits end and am desperate for help. I have a problem that SOE is ignoring and I figured maybe one of the knowledgable people in this forum might be able to help.

It all started with a zone crash. The game just froze on the environment updating bar at zero. After erasing every ini and cache file I was again able to log in again. Browsing the SOE forums I found this seems to be a problem with macros in the hotbars and they ask you to delete all of your macros and you should be good to go. Well with the game at default w/o and uo mods at all I erased all my macros, but when I tried to open a new hotbar other than the default 2, the game immediately freezes. Instantly and just hangs there.

By using the <Shift> + #x command, I realized that only some hotbars are effected as I can open up say hotbar7 but not hotbar3 which lead me to the conclusion that it's not macros that are messing me up, but links to items that I had on my hotbars ie horse, manastone, carpet, imbued ring, potions, etc...

Now that I know what the cause is, I still don't know how to break those links to be able to clear my hotbars to default. When I scaned the knoledge base via the /petition command for "hotbar crash" is said to delete the files I already did and to clear the macros which I did. It also said to delete a file called "hotkeys_(char name).dat" But that file does not exist on my system. I don't know if they have since moved that file server-side since they posted that resolution, or renamed it to something else, but nothing even close exists in my directory.

The other very strange thing that's happening, is that after I reinstalled the fetish interface into a new directory with eq2 map (manual version) and Goldi's start button (the fetish release) as per all instructions, the hotbars 1&2 are factory size, though when I open up any new hotbar that doesn't lock up my system, they show up at the fetish default size. (The size I want)
Also, The persona window seems to be the factory one, w/o the little tab for the stat bar. (Scratches Head)

So.....
Would anyone with a kind soul answer if there is a file I can delete on my side that will indeed clear out my hotbars or any other idea on how I can erase those bad links. The problems I'm having with fetish are secondary, but any help there would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you all kindly,
Akovia
Unread 12-27-2005, 10:34 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Have you tried to move the items in your inventory? I found that clears the link in my hot bar, not really clearing it but leaving it empty.
Unread 12-27-2005, 10:45 PM
aka Mook
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Nektulos

Note: Post split to new thread.

Try Duponte's suggestion first. If the problem is the linked items as you suspect, then (re)moving all of them that were linked should do the trick.

If that doesn't work...

Quote:
It also said to delete a file called "hotkeys_(char name).dat" But that file does not exist on my system. I don't know if they have since moved that file server-side since they posted that resolution, or renamed it to something else, but nothing even close exists in my directory.
I believe the files in question are located at:

(EQ2 Directory)\cache\characters\(SERVER)\(CHARACTER)

Just delete the affected character's entire folder. That should do the trick.

Quote:
The other very strange thing that's happening, is that after I reinstalled the fetish interface into a new directory with eq2 map (manual version) and Goldi's start button (the fetish release) as per all instructions, the hotbars 1&2 are factory size, though when I open up any new hotbar that doesn't lock up my system, they show up at the fetish default size. (The size I want)
That's a product of still having saved settings from when you were using the default ones. Just resize the old ones or delete the character's uisettings file again.

Last edited by Deathbane27 : 12-27-2005 at 10:47 PM.
Unread 12-28-2005, 12:42 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Thanks for the suggestions. As I had mentioned before, I had deleted every single file in the cache (cache, login cache, login cache us) folders as well as every last ini file. After seeing the epilepsy warning when it started to load, I knew I had a fresh install. So to speak. It was after that, when I had the factory default interface that I tried to open up a 3rd hotbar and it froze. After this I figured that the file I need to delete was server-side.

In any case, a GM spoke with me tonight and told me this new issue is known and is a bug with the frostfell satchel you get from the holiday content and deleted it from my inventory. He wanted to roll back my character but said I could try again now that he deleted the offending item. (It's been 4 days since this started and I would lose all quests and who knows what else on a rollback) So I tried again and still same thing. I wrote another msg to the GM to roll me back but haven't heard back yet.

Just for reference, I had tried unequiping everything on me and my inventory into my bank, and also re-equiping in different slots to no avail. I noticed a few days b4 the crash that I had a potion icon on my hotbar that was greyed out even though I had run out of potions. (there was no potion in my inventory or bank) That in itself tells me there is something screwy with these hotbar links, and I did try to put a new potion in my inventory to see if it would re-link so to speak and fix the problem but it didn't work. I also found that when I try to link a certain potion or my mask of the deciever onto a new hotbar it freezes, though my carpet, imbued ring, etc.. still work fine. Right before I came back to reply, i dbl clicked my Shimmering Citadel mirror on my hotbar and it crashed.

I really depended on these links and liked the functionality of them. For instance, If I had 5 potions on me, I only needed to make 1 link and when a potion ran out, it just loaded the next even if I moved them around in my inventory. Now I am going to be very leery to use them again.

I have a file in my eqII directory called default_quickbuttons.dat that looks like it is indeed the default the game comes with, but don't know how to enable it as there is nothing to replace. If this is a known issue with hotbars in general whether it's macros or item links, or snowball satchels for crying out loud, they should have a button under options to reset all hotbars like they do to reset all windows to default position. Sorry for the rant, SOE just gets me fired up.

Well thank you all for the help and I will update this thread after they roll me back to let others know what they are in for if this happens to them.

Many Thanks,
Akovia
Unread 01-01-2006, 09:34 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

I had the same thing happened. I had some items in my hot bar, then, as I wanted to switch some bags, I moved them to another inventory slot. Next time I zoned, I got stuck at Updating enviroment map. In order to solve it, you must clear the hot bars that have items.

SOLUTION:
Assuming that hot bar 1 does not have the problem:
Remove or rename your server_char_eq2_settings.ini file, so that the UI reverts to default. When you log into the game, type /clear_hotkey_bank X, where X is the problematic hot bar that causes the problem. If it's the 3rd bar that contains inventory items, then type /clear_hotkey_bank 3. Then, you can use your old .ini file again.
Unread 01-16-2006, 07:12 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Brilliant!

I ended up getting my toon rolled back pre-incident, but that was exactly the type of sollution I was looking for and appatently far too complicated for any SOE rep to tell me. Thank you for the reply, and I hope others will find this and try your way before trying to deal with SOE.

Cheers!