EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > DrumsUI

Unread 04-30-2012, 03:33 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Unkown
Default Quick Fix to Wikia Quest browse

Here is a quick fix i made for wikia eq2i problem of not displaying the proper quest page when pressing quick buttons of quest helper

just copy this 2 files over your existing ones inside \Drumsui Folder
Attached Files
File Type: xml eq2ui_journals_active.xml (5.6 KB, 491 views)
File Type: xml eq2ui_journals_quest.xml (86.7 KB, 477 views)
Unread 04-30-2012, 06:16 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Server: Antonia Bayle
Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

Has EQ2i wikia's URL structure changed? No one had said anything to me

I'll check out the change, and incorporate it into my files. Also, I need to add EQ2U to item searches.
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:06 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Unrest

haven't had a single problem with the Drums search on eq2i so no idea why this fix was needed. Am leary of any file claiming to be a fix when I do see something broken so gonna look over the code to see what changed.
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:15 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

I checked the code and it's safe. Just slight URL change, but I dunno if it's needed.
Unread 04-30-2012, 08:08 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Unkown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumstix42 View Post
I checked the code and it's safe. Just slight URL change, but I dunno if it's needed.
Yes there was a change in wikia search method , at least me and 3 friends from my guild reported that and i fixed the humble way i know , there is still need to fix the item links on eq2i search.
Unread 05-01-2012, 04:33 AM
A Griffon

Server: Splitpaw

I have the same issue as Ganzas and I downloaded the UI 2 days ago.So am happy the files have been done.

Unread 05-01-2012, 03:02 PM
A Griffon

I actually have had a problem with ProfitUI that I have not had a chance to follow up. Starting some time in the last few days, quest searches have failed to go directly to requested page. The page is listed on the results as the top hit, but the browser doesn't actually go there. Sound like there has been a change that needs to be put in.
Unread 05-01-2012, 03:23 PM
A Griffon

with profit edit _ProfitUI_StandardSearches.txt and change

<Data Name="QuestSearch3" Text="EQ2i" URL="http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Search?search="/>

to

<Data Name="QuestSearch3" Text="EQ2i" URL="http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/
"/>

and

<Data Name="MobSearch3" Tooltip="EQ2i" URL="http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Search?search="/>

to

<Data Name="MobSearch3" Tooltip="EQ2i" URL="http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/"/>
Unread 05-01-2012, 05:23 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Server: Nagafen
Send a message via Yahoo to TalTal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabard View Post
with profit edit _ProfitUI_StandardSearches.txt and change

<Data Name="QuestSearch3" Text="EQ2i" URL="http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Search?search="/>

to

<Data Name="QuestSearch3" Text="EQ2i" URL="http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/
"/>

and

<Data Name="MobSearch3" Tooltip="EQ2i" URL="http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Search?search="/>

to

<Data Name="MobSearch3" Tooltip="EQ2i" URL="http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/"/>
What about item search? Is it unchanged?

Silat
Unread 05-01-2012, 05:34 PM
A Griffon

heh I missed that but its the same

already changed mine so can't show the change from orginal but

URL="http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Search?search=" would become

URL="http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/"

looks like they basically removed the search pararmeters from the site using friendly URL or SEO stuff
Unread 05-01-2012, 05:49 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Server: Nagafen
Send a message via Yahoo to TalTal

Thanks. I made the changes and sent the update to kaldran to post to the updater when he gets a chance.

Silat
Unread 05-01-2012, 06:20 PM
A Griffon

Okay. I'll be looking for the update and check it out.
Unread 05-05-2012, 06:22 AM
A Grassland Beetle

Send a message via AIM to uberfuzzy

for more background/details on how search was changed on wikia.com, see http://community.wikia.com/wiki/User_blogopp/Updates_to_How_We_Search

tl;dr:

old method was "when searching, if an exact match exists GO there, otherwise show search results", this allowed using the Special:Search entry point as a "safe" bounce point for both pages if they existed (like using the direct url path), or showing a searching interface if they didnt

wikia's new method is now "always show a search page when searching, but if an exact match exists, feature it at the top, but no longer GO to match"

have fun and leave reports/critical bugs on the search side on the User_blog page above so wikia can fix resolve them
Unread 05-17-2012, 04:17 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzas View Post
Here is a quick fix i made for wikia eq2i problem of not displaying the proper quest page when pressing quick buttons of quest helper
just copy this 2 files over your existing ones inside \Drumsui Folder
This fixed worked great (Am using DrumsUI) thanks for the fix, since you made them available but as of 05-17 the eq2i site is messed up (only blue text bunched up on the left pane) and none of the quest sites load when using the eq2i quick buttons. All is normal via my normal FireFox v12.0. Has SOE changed something again? Is there anything I can change in the 2 xml's?

Thanks
Accredo

Last edited by Accredo : 05-17-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Unread 05-17-2012, 05:32 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accredo View Post
This fixed worked great (Am using DrumsUI) thanks for the fix, since you made them available but as of 05-17 the eq2i site is messed up (only blue text bunched up on the left pane) and none of the quest sites load when using the eq2i quick buttons. All is normal via my normal FireFox v12.0. Has SOE changed something again? Is there anything I can change in the 2 xml's?

Thanks
Accredo
Apparently Wika now has a new preferrence setting which requires you to log in and set. I set mine to the told style and it displays correctly in the in game browser. I don't care for logging into sites to do a quick search while on a quest so I'll probally be using zam more than wika now.
Unread 05-17-2012, 06:02 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabard View Post
Apparently Wika now has a new preferrence setting which requires you to log in and set. I set mine to the told style and it displays correctly in the in game browser. I don't care for logging into sites to do a quick search while on a quest so I'll probally be using zam more than wika now.
Oh boy, yet another site to log into. I agree with you Papabard, it is most likely I to will be using ZAM more than eq2i. While I like ZAM I don't like it's frilly multi-page sites, click, click, click and click to navigate thru to get 1 piece of info. Eq2i was the perfect, keep it simple stupid approach. Click quick button>quest appears>read>click next quest... the end.

thanks though for the info, mucho appreciate it.
Unread 05-18-2012, 02:18 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Default New sites for Browser

If adding EQ2U, could space be made for www.eq2.eqtraders.com, too?

It's my third or so most used site.

Thanks

(or perhaps a sticky way of adding our own lookups to the list and not losing them at each update?)
Unread 05-18-2012, 05:31 AM
A Griffon

Server: Oasis

Yeah, I had to login via the in-game browser and change the layout to "Monobook". I made a post in the Wikia's admin forum about it. I think they need to inspect the user agent for the in-game browser and adjust the output accordingly.
Unread 05-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

I'll take a look at what's happening in-game and see if I can't fix things. There's much we can't fix due to how archaic EQ2's browser is but if the site is totally unusable then we'll have to find a way of fixing it.
Unread 05-18-2012, 02:59 PM
A Griffon

it has to do with a new skin they have apparently added. before the site defaulted to the monobook. I had the same issue with zam long ago but found logging in and setting my preference to one skin fixed it for most. There are times I have to clear the cache though because it gets missed up. Wikia on the other hand just started displaying this behavior and only logging in and choosing monobook fixes it.
Unread 05-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Wikia has been using the Oasis skin family (the "wikia" skin with the fixed width) for a very long time now, it's not a recent change. The monobook skin they don't even officially support anymore except as a fallback. They literally require the default skin for new users and non-logged-in users be that skin, so I don't even have the power to set Monobook as the default for anyone using the in-game browser. I'm not sure why you'd see the issue as a recent change Papabard since they've been using that layout for a long time. My guess is you may have been logged in before (and thus using monobook by user preference) and became logged out, thus seeing the current skin as new. Monobook has not been the default skin on EQ2i for at least 3 years (the current Wikia skin is not the first forced-default skin. Sadly the last one was at least decent).

Obviously since Zam is privately run they can adapt their site to ensure it stays at least relatively compatible with the in-game browser. EQ2i on the other hand is kind of stuck because it's owned by Wikia and only "run" by volunteers who have to follow the company line. People have been fighting the forced skin at wikia for more than a year (maybe 2 years by now, I don't even remember) but they refuse to change. Send all hate mail and complaints about the situation to [email protected]

I've tried to fix things for the in-game browser but I've had no luck. The in-game browser just chokes on javascript and HTML5; if Javascript worked okay I could work around things but without it I cannot find a way to remove the ridiculous unfolded navbar at the top and make the site presentable.

TL;DR: To use EQ2i sanely in the in-game browser you must be logged in and have choosen to use the monobook layout under Preferences.
Unread 05-18-2012, 04:45 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordebon View Post
Wikia has been using the Oasis skin family (the "wikia" skin with the fixed width) for a very long time now, it's not a recent change. The monobook skin they don't even officially support anymore except as a fallback. They literally require the default skin for new users and non-logged-in users be that skin, so I don't even have the power to set Monobook as the default for anyone using the in-game browser. I'm not sure why you'd see the issue as a recent change Papabard since they've been using that layout for a long time. My guess is you may have been logged in before (and thus using monobook by user preference) and became logged out, thus seeing the current skin as new. Monobook has not been the default skin on EQ2i for at least 3 years (the current Wikia skin is not the first forced-default skin. Sadly the last one was at least decent).

Obviously since Zam is privately run they can adapt their site to ensure it stays at least relatively compatible with the in-game browser. EQ2i on the other hand is kind of stuck because it's owned by Wikia and only "run" by volunteers who have to follow the company line. People have been fighting the forced skin at wikia for more than a year (maybe 2 years by now, I don't even remember) but they refuse to change. Send all hate mail and complaints about the situation to [email protected]

I've tried to fix things for the in-game browser but I've had no luck. The in-game browser just chokes on javascript and HTML5; if Javascript worked okay I could work around things but without it I cannot find a way to remove the ridiculous unfolded navbar at the top and make the site presentable.

TL;DR: To use EQ2i sanely in the in-game browser you must be logged in and have choosen to use the monobook layout under Preferences.
I'm not the one who had the issue. As of the 17th anyone hitting the site gets the craptastic view seen here in the screenshot. I simply put down how I got around it by creating and logging in. Until the 17th I have never had an account on eq2.wikia so that wouldn't be the case as before. Oh and the white skin is what displays when coming from any browser outside the game. When coming in from the game we get that blue background garbage seen in the screen shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	badeq2wikia.png
Views:	452
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	7894  

Last edited by Papabard : 05-18-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Unread 05-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

What screenshot are you referring to? I've looked through this thread again rq but don't see any.

As for the "white layout" are you talking about the normal look for the wikia skin perhaps? When properly rendered (eg in any modern browser) on EQ2i it's a white background in the fixed-width article area with a light blue border on each side. I thought you were talking about Monobook when you said the white layout earlier (since it as all-white, full-width), that was my misunderstanding there.
Unread 05-18-2012, 05:00 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordebon View Post
What screenshot are you referring to? I've looked through this thread again rq but don't see any.

As for the "white layout" are you talking about the normal look for the wikia skin perhaps? When properly rendered (eg in any modern browser) on EQ2i it's a white background in the fixed-width article area with a light blue border on each side. I thought you were talking about Monobook when you said the white layout earlier (since it as all-white, full-width), that was my misunderstanding there.
theres an attached screenshot in my last post. I might of been editing because it didn't go through the 1st time. Anyway white was what we use to get now we get some blue color with really strange aligned stuff etc. Clearing cache did not fix it. Only logging in and selecting monobook does it display decent in the in game browser.
Unread 05-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Okay, yeah thats what it looks like when I checked it in-game as well. The blue is the background color thats normally to the sides of the main article area. The Navigation section is what is normally the interactive navbar but because EQ2's browser doesn't support the <nav> tag it blows it out into a list like that.

I'm not sure why it changed recently however. Looking at the wayback machine, it's been using <nav> for over 6 months, so it must be something else that is causing everything to go mis-aligned. It was working fine prior to yesterday (May 17th) though?

(Edit: BTW, if Dolby or another mod sees this, feel free to split this thread starting back at my first post in it, since I've gotten it kind of off-topic).

Last edited by lordebon : 05-18-2012 at 06:29 PM.