EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP > EQ2Map Troubleshooting

Unread 12-16-2005, 02:39 AM
A Brown Bear

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default locking up

i'm running a very good computer on cable modem. i download eq2 map and installed framework 1.1 and now my computer locks up on EQ2, and even on WoW. I uninstalled the eq2 map and it still locks up, then I tried uninstalling framework 1.1 and it STILL locked up. now i've done all windows updates just in case, and it still locks up on WoW (uninstalled EQ2)

ideas?
Unread 12-16-2005, 08:37 AM
A Griffon

Server: Permafrost

Ummmm......virus scan?

"Certainty of death! Small chance of success! What are we waiting for?!"

Unread 12-16-2005, 12:30 PM
A Brown Bear

virus scan didn't find anything.
Unread 12-16-2005, 12:51 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

where dos it lock up at?
Unread 12-16-2005, 02:00 PM
A Brown Bear

random times. i haven't noticed any real pattern to it.
Unread 12-16-2005, 03:31 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Oasis
Send a message via ICQ to Landiin Send a message via AIM to Landiin Send a message via MSN to Landiin Send a message via Yahoo to Landiin

What OS are you using?
Unread 12-16-2005, 05:39 PM
A Brown Bear

windows xp: professional
Unread 12-17-2005, 12:37 AM
A Brown Bear

i have been told by a friend that framework 1.1/2.0 conflictswith DirectX. Any truth?
Unread 12-17-2005, 01:05 AM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Butcherblock

Doubtful. DirectX is required to run the game, and of the thousands of people that have downloaded EQ2Maps, the .NETwork framework is required for that.

I wouldn't think any conflicts would be related between those two programs. However, given your computer, something may not be sitting right somewhere.
Unread 12-17-2005, 01:37 AM
A Griffon
Featured

Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

I'd suggest a system restore back to before you did what screwed you up, if you have system restore on.
Unread 12-17-2005, 11:45 PM
A Brown Bear

did system restore to a good week ago. still freezing up. starting to think installing framework and ALL (UT2k4 freezes now as well) online games freezing up. router issues? dunno.
Unread 12-18-2005, 12:38 AM
A Griffon
Featured

What video card are you using, and do you have the latest drivers?

What kind of environment is your comptuer in? Would you suspect and internal damage from over heating?

How long have you had your video card?

And what processor are you using?
Unread 12-18-2005, 07:20 PM
A Brown Bear

GeForce 6600, and yes.

It is under a table that doesn't get much dust, but I did clean the fan after a year, hardly any on it.

Got the video with the comp, last Christmas.

Pentium 4, 3 Ghz
Unread 12-18-2005, 07:44 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Butcherblock

1) Unless your internet is locking up, I doubt it's a router issue. The reason I say this is...When you lose connection in EQ, you can still move around (the game doesn't freeze) but you just can't do anything to interact in the world. However, some FPS games (Half-Life did for me, haven't had issues with UT2K4 so can't say) will totally arrest movement. The only thing I remember is the bobbing of the weapons and being able to move your mouse. However, the game still ran, it was just an internet connection.

2) I had issues with overheating before. Not with EQ, but with Battlefield 2. Maybe that's an issue? You might want to find a program that can tell you your computer temperature and see if it's safe for your system. I don't know the specifics on that kind of stuff, but that might be happening. I remember my computer would kind of "die" for a few seconds while it sorta "shut down" to reduce the temperature, but then it would go back to how it was. Of the available options, I would say overheating is my best guess, but I'm by no means an expert...
Unread 12-18-2005, 11:28 PM
A Brown Bear

I have a thermal display at the front of my tower, at first I thought heat might be an issue but it was at completely different degrees upon locking up, varying from 90-95 degrees.
Unread 12-19-2005, 01:25 AM
A Brown Bear

another thing, my game doesn't seem to lock up if i have it minimized to my toolbar. dunno if that matters or not though.
Unread 12-19-2005, 02:10 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Send a message via ICQ to Landiin Send a message via AIM to Landiin Send a message via MSN to Landiin Send a message via Yahoo to Landiin

Quote:
Originally Posted by arced
another thing, my game doesn't seem to lock up if i have it minimized to my toolbar. dunno if that matters or not though.
Does it lock up in while in windowed mode? Almost sounds like a video card issue over heating when a 3D load is put on it. I seen where you said you cleaned off the fans. Try opening the comp up and taking some compressed air in a can ( you can get it at just about any where these days ) and with you computer unplugged spray out all any dust. Pay close attention to any chips with heatsinks and fans and make sure they have clear air flow, this includes your video car.

Last edited by Landiin : 12-19-2005 at 02:16 PM.
Unread 12-19-2005, 02:23 PM
A Brown Bear

i never got around to trying anything in windowed mode, deleted EQ2 already (out of spite) but i have noticed SOME dust on my video card. i just didn't see how that was possibly a problem.
Unread 12-19-2005, 02:43 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by arced
i never got around to trying anything in windowed mode, deleted EQ2 already (out of spite) but i have noticed SOME dust on my video card. i just didn't see how that was possibly a problem.
Normaly a small amout isn't an issue but you never know whats clogged. Once you have it open turn it on and make sure all fines are working to, unless you have a view port on you case then no need to open it up.
Unread 12-19-2005, 04:09 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Unkown
Send a message via ICQ to Neori

Several things came to mind when I read through the replies here.

First, a while back I had problems with a certain set of video drivers for my 6600GT card. I didn't test it on all games, but at the time EQ1 would lock up after a random amount of time. I restored to earlier drivers and all was fine again. I believe the problem drivers were in the early 7x.xx series (I think 71.84), and the one I went back to that worked was 66.93 or so. Since then, I've switched to 77.72 as I've read a lot in forums saying they were very stable on both older games and newer ones. I've also seen that it does improve in several of my games, including EQ2 and the annoyingly choppy Qeynos Harbor area. Just make sure to clean the system of the old drivers before you update, and turn off antivirus programs when installing the drivers. Look for programs like Detonator Destroyer on Guru3D that can completely wipe any leftover driver files off, so you can avoid version conflicts.

Second, if you suspect that the system might be overheating, you can get programs to monitor the heat. One I use these days is SpeedFan. Another you can try is Motherboard Monitor, but it's a lot more complex. SpeedFan operates in the system tray, so you'd have to play games in a windowed mode to see it. MBM can do an overlay display within games. Chances are though, given you have a 6600, you can check the temp of the card itself in the Display Properties --> Settings tab --> Advanced button --> GeForce 6600 tab --> Temperature settings in the left menu. Just be careful of changing anything in there unless you know what you're doing.

Third, if it is a problem of heat, you can take steps to ventilate the system. They all depend on your situation and money. The simplest is to just open up the side of your case and point a small fan to blow into the case. But if you have any pets, they might get curious as to what's inside there. If you can afford it, get some 60mm (size depends on the mountings/vent holes in your case) case fans and install them. Just be sure to remember to balance out the intake and exhaust. Too much intake, and your case becomes a dust bunny repository. Too much exhaust, and you can't draw in cooler air to replace the hot air inside. Those case fans are usually pretty cheap if you shop around. Somewhat more expensive would be to buy or replace heatsink/fans for the components: VGA chip, CPU, northbridge, and memory (if you're overclocking).

All this depends on how comfortable you are in fiddling around with your computer. You could also try another video card if you can get your hands on one long enough to test that. If nothing else works, back up what data you can and format the drive and reinstall Windows and install the latest drivers for everything, in the hopes of avoiding too much system clutter and conflicting driver data. But that's last ditch, if you're totally fed up.
Unread 12-19-2005, 04:36 PM
A Brown Bear

well it's just strange that i haven't updated my drivers since i had the card, and it is only now, a year later, freezing during games. of course i've updated my drivers now but still having the same problem.