EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > ProfitUI

Unread 04-01-2007, 04:29 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Adventure XP not right

In the box that shows your character's adventure, tradeskill and guild xp percentages, the percentage for adventure xp is actually more than where I currently am. For example, after it hit 100% and then went back to 0%, at which point I should have levelled, I didn't actually level until it showed 17%. Any idea how to fix this?
Unread 04-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Freeport Pizza Delivery
Featured

Server: Unrest

Yes!
/feedback in game!
Tell SOE that their resoning behind rounding up is downright silly and everyone knows that you can't be 100.3% in to your next lvl!
That as soon as you hit 100% your the next lvl for crying out loud!

This issue can be found in countless posts both here and in the official SOE forums.

Fact is SOE broke it many GU's back and have yet to do anything about it.
Some actually think SOE "fixed it", but I still have a hard time understanding how they fixed something by making us hit 100% in our lvl without giving us the next bloody lvl... /sigh

Can we as interface authors fix it?
No

Can we as players do anything about it?
Yes
/feedback in game asking them to either
1.) fix what they broke so that the interface authors who work so hard to make the game more enjoyable by the players can actually have the fraction in the XP meters show correctly like it used to...
-or-
2.) Have SOE offer a bloody fraction in the XP meter themselves because, oh maybe 90% of the player base want it...

ok, i'm rambling on...
I'll stop here...
Everyone moove along, nothing to see here...
Forums

Got Guild?

"Always code as if the person who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
Unread 04-02-2007, 11:23 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle

Ah, I am new to EQ2 so I wasn't this was an SOE issue. I'll definitely use /feedback when I log in tonight. I noticed that it's the same way for tradeskill xp too. Thanks for the quick response!
Unread 04-02-2007, 12:48 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Permafrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faetyl
Some actually think SOE "fixed it"....
Sorry, Faetyl, but as you already know, we disagree on this point.

I do understand and sympathize with your viewpoint, even though I don't agree with it. But the fact is, the change *was* a fix.

The adventure and tradeskill exp percentages -- which in the default UI are only ever displayed in the tooltip when you mouse over the exp bar -- were always intended to be shown as WHOLE numbers. Thus, common sense and mathematical convention both dictate that they should be rounded. When you have, for example, 56.8% exp, it should display as 57%, not 56%. And that's how they now work.

(That is, by the way, how the display of guild exp has always worked.)

Obviously, it would be nice if the devs also made the unrounded numbers available for those who wish to use them in mods. (It goes without saying that many people *want* exp displays with tenths of a percent, and I would personally *love* to have the unrounded numbers available.) But they've shown no intention of doing so. And I find it absolutely ridiculous that so many modders have refused for NINE MONTHS now to fix exp bar mods which took advantage of Sony's original mistake, and which have been broken since that mistake was corrected.

-- Darryl (Milqutowst)
Unread 04-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Freeport Pizza Delivery
Featured

Server: Unrest

hehe we do disagree on this one.

Explain to me one thing though, it's my primary reasoning behind my view.
Why would you ever see 100% on an XP bar?
Forums

Got Guild?

"Always code as if the person who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live."
Unread 04-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

Server: Crushbone

yeah the 100% pretty much shatters any support for this system.

Also like I said in a previous post, this being fixed is like a wrecked car being fixed because your intention was to have a wrecked car. so since you want a wrecked car, a perfectly good car would be "broken"

I've been trying to just get a response on this in general, anything, and they just outright refuse to discuss it with me. I did get a GM to acknowledge this, and he even agreed that this seems wrong, didn't say it was broken though hehe.
Unread 04-02-2007, 08:53 PM
A Forest Scavenger

Server: Lucan DLere

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrakekas
In the box that shows your character's adventure, tradeskill and guild xp percentages, the percentage for adventure xp is actually more than where I currently am. For example, after it hit 100% and then went back to 0%, at which point I should have levelled, I didn't actually level until it showed 17%. Any idea how to fix this?

this is known sony issue with custom ui's. and from what i seen on the soe and these forums it bug peple been waiting for sony to fixfor several months now
Unread 04-02-2007, 10:25 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faetyl
Explain to me one thing though, it's my primary reasoning behind my view. Why would you ever see 100% on an XP bar?
I honestly don't understand why you see this as such a problem. Obviously, you see 100% when the value is between 99.50% and 99.99%, because in that case it *SHOULD* round to 100%, just as 89.7% rounds to 90%, 59.9% rounds to 60%, and so forth. It makes perfect sense, and is entirely valid. It's no different then when you see survey results carrying the disclaimer, "Percentages may total more than 100% due to rounding."

If you have $9.97 in your pocket, do you think in terms of having $9, or $10? It's the exact same thing.

Again, I agree completely that Sony really *ought* to make the unrounded numbers available. But they ought to be available in addition to, not instead of, the rounded numbers. For the purposes of the default UI, where nothing but whole numbers are ever shown, the numbers should have been rounded all along.

And in the meantime, until and unless the unrounded numbers *are* made available again, exp bar modders really ought to deal with what's available, instead of continuing to distribute what are, to be blunt, BROKEN mods. The single biggest reason why this issue keeps coming up over and over again is that unsuspecting players download broken exp bar mods without knowing that they're broken, and then come here to ask why the numbers seem to be off, starting up yet another round of the same tired discussion.

-- Darryl
Unread 04-02-2007, 10:29 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroman
Also like I said in a previous post, this being fixed is like a wrecked car being fixed because your intention was to have a wrecked car. so since you want a wrecked car, a perfectly good car would be "broken".
Your analogy is cute, but completely inapplicable.

From a mathematical perspective -- and also from a common sense perspective -- numbers SHOULD be rounded if only the whole number part of the value is in use. Displaying 52% when the value is in fact 52.9% is LESS ACCCURATE than displaying 53%. Similarly, displaying 99% when the value is in fact 99.9% is LESS ACCURATE than displaying 100%. It's simple fact.

-- Darryl