EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP

Unread 02-07-2005, 05:54 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Pioints of interest (recomendation)

I've noticed that you guys have been putting a lot of work into points of interest. I have found your map mod VERY helpful. And the points of interest are great as well.

The problem is, as you add more and more, the maps are getting cluttered with a zillion little dots for quests I care little about. Where the lady that starts the Jum Jum juice quest is, matters little to me!

My recommendation: An external program that dynamically creates the overlays. All it would need is a list of quests with check boxes and a save button. The user would simply check off the quests they want Points for and click save and the overlay would be saved to the appropriate folder. You guys wouldn't need to create new overlays all the time. There would be simple a small database with 5 fields:
Questname, zone, x, y, z
It could even be an excel spreadsheet. Then all you'd have to do is provide a new quest list with new points every once in a while.
If you wanted to get really fancy you could have an "Update" button that automatically downloaded points for you. Or allow the user to insert their own.

Anyways, it's just an idea.
Unread 02-07-2005, 06:02 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

That is a great idea and maybe we could get that program to talk to maps.eq2interface.com database and get the POI's in real time.... down the road.

Last edited by Dolby : 02-07-2005 at 06:06 PM.
Unread 02-07-2005, 06:05 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Neriak

A related suggestion (which I personally think is a better way to handle it) would be to add a filter dropbox to the map window, so that one would be able to select from a list of types of icons. For simplicity, just use the types that Eloa has made in the POI submission database. (NPC, ZONE, MOB, etc)

Note that this would not be an active filter requiring SOE code changes, but a dropbox displaying predetermined (by the XML) groups of icons.

The only problem I can see with this is that if one wanted to show all the icons at once, it could mean redundant XML for an "All POIs" selection. Unless the XML is flexible enough to allow you to make a more active dropbox that can include multiple groups.

I hope that I've described my idea with enough detail here. I wish I had the knowhow to do this myself and post it as a contribution, but alas, all I can contribute is brainstorming power
Unread 02-07-2005, 06:12 PM
A Griffon

Hm, definately two suggestions to keep in mind. Zonx's idea of seperate xml's loaded for each map (well, for their icon pages anyway) would work well with the external program idea + database, and, if we can figure out how to make a drop box work for us, your idea would work well for on-the-fly filtering Killarny.

The thing is, dropboxes seem to be ornery... I haven't had much luck getting them to work for me. A faked drop box using button and page objects would probably do exactly what you're thinking though... hmmm...

Also, it wouldn't take duplicate POIs, just show multiple pages of POIs at once (splitting the POI types up between page objects), so it's a very viable suggestion.

Quib
Unread 02-07-2005, 07:12 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

Send a message via AIM to taco-man Send a message via MSN to taco-man Send a message via Yahoo to taco-man

if a drop down box is too hard you could always just have checkboxes for each one, no?
Unread 02-07-2005, 07:20 PM
A Griffon

Oh, to toggle each type. This I will definately look into after I get this release ready for download later today.

Quib
Unread 02-07-2005, 08:17 PM
EQ2MAP Webmaster

Server: Unkown
Send a message via Skype™ to Eloa

drop down boxes definately do not work. There is no way to tell which item in it is selected. The checkboxes idea is great though.
Unread 02-07-2005, 08:34 PM
A Griffon

Unless there is an elegant way to arrange the checkboxes, I think that would get messy. I rather like Quib's approach with buttons and page objects to fake a dropbox.. even if it doesn't look exactly like a drop box, it would be cleaner than a list of checkboxes cluttering up the map window.

Or do I have the wrong impression of the checkboxes?
Unread 02-07-2005, 08:37 PM
A Griffon

Actually, I was gonna do a button that fakes a dropbox that's filled with checkboxes. Best of both worlds.

Quib
Unread 02-07-2005, 08:40 PM
A Griffon

XML Wars V, Quib Strikes Back
Unread 02-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Steward of the Faithful

You could just do a color-coded set of "check boxes" along the bottom a la the tracking window.
Unread 02-07-2005, 09:24 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ger
You could just do a color-coded set of "check boxes" along the bottom a la the tracking window.
Also a really good suggestion.

Quib
Unread 02-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Steward of the Faithful

One thing to note, no matter what scheme you decide to go with, in order for this feature to be useful the PoI icons need to be double-checked for accuracy. I know there are several in Commonlands that aren't quite right, either they're placed incorrectly (Deadman's Walkway is much too far south, it should be where Shiv Lane is, and Shiv Lane should be a smidge more North) or they have the wrong icon type (Lightbringer is listed as an NPC, but should be a Named MOB) or they're listed more than once (one of the named orcs for the Bloodskull Valley access quest is listed once as an NPC and once slightly SW of that location as a Named MOB.)

I've been meaning to go through Commonlands and Antonica and help out with as much of the correcting as I can, but I've been sick the past few days and haven't gotten much done in-game. I'm hoping to get over this god forsaken cold or flu or whatever it is by this coming weekend, so maybe I can get some work done on verifying the PoIs then.
Unread 02-07-2005, 10:39 PM
A Griffon

Talking

I was reading over my first post in this thread, and I wanted to apologize to Charli. I didn't intend to make that post sound condecending or insulting in any way, and I also didn't mean to sorta steal the thread. Sorry

Here are some dancing bananas for you, Charli, to make you feel better!!

Unread 02-08-2005, 01:32 AM
a hedgehog

Server: Nagafen
Send a message via AIM to tonyis3l33t Send a message via Yahoo to tonyis3l33t

um....simplest solution: a button that hudes icons page. That way you can have one button that hides all our custom icons at the top lvl...
________
FIND HEADSHOP

Last edited by tonyis3l33t : 09-16-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Unread 02-08-2005, 01:48 AM
A Griffon

Well, I think the idea is to allow filtering of which icon types are shown. Anyway, the new official release is uploaded, will start exploring new features in a day or two.

Stuff I'm thinking about:
Icon Filtering
Splitting the XML up into pieces to allow optional features such as:
escape key closing the window (like default does)
your loc on the titlebar

Quib