EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > ProfitUI

Unread 05-12-2015, 10:08 AM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Crushbone
Angry Does Profit bork the Launchpad?

Howdy! I've been away for a year, so I sat down and ran all my updates to ProfitUI and EQ2Maps, then started the game. The Launcher updated with new Altar of Malice art, but keeps bombing with a 404 error (in the Launcher's logfiles, WebRequestResponse.log shows https://lp.soe.com/eq2.2/live/?t=43190 is sending back a 404 error).

Thing is, I can run the Launcher from my Firefox browser and it gets me into the game Just Fine, which should indicate that firewall and AV is not an issue.

I've gone back and forth with customer service, and the most recent response says:
"Basically the game files borked due to profit UI, it makes changes to the game files and it seems like in your case it always made changes how the game runs. A re-install should have fixed it, however, since that did not work I suggest doing an uninstall of the games and all custome UI, then run a System Restore and then test the game."
Basically, I think this is a steaming pile of cow manure. After much back and forth, I uninstalled EVERY BIT of anything EQ2-related, defragged, rebooted, and did a clean install from a fresh setup downloaded from the EQ2 website. I STILL get the Launcher 404. Since then, I have reinstalled EQ2Maps and ProfitUI.

Can someone tell me definitively that ProfitUI does not mess with Launchpad, and why, so I can slap that answer with a wet mackerel across the chops?

Many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Launchpad404.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	8241  
Unread 05-12-2015, 07:27 PM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

No UI mod does anything to the launchpad - the UI is not loaded or accessed whatsoever by the game until the actual client process (everquest2.exe) gets launched from the launchpad. Custom UIs get used as a patsy by CS - when it comes to things like that just don't bring them up or answer "No" if they ask about them.

As for why it wouldn't go through - the fact you can access it in Firefox doesn't mean it's not firewalled, it's a different process entirely. The easiest way to confirm is to simply turn your firewall off (briefly!) and see if it loads. If it still doesn't load, then it's not the firewall at issue.
Unread 05-13-2015, 10:22 AM
A Griffon

I agree with lordebon. ProfitUI does nothing to the Launchpad, and neither does any other UI mod. Anyone who tells you that it does needs more training in the basics of how the game runs.

I am puzzled by the issue you're having. I haven't had anything like that and haven't heard of anyone reporting such. I'd try to think of anything on your system that monitors web traffic (like a firewall, or anti-malware agents, etc) and temporarily disable those to see if the problem goes away.

-= Therendil =-
Unread 05-15-2015, 12:29 AM
A Griffon

Server: Unrest

Profit can't do anything to the launchpad itself. The LP files simply aren't in the list of files the ProfitUI updater can download, period. If the support person wants, here's a definitive list of example what files in the EQ2 game directory the game downloads pulled directly from the files on the updater:

eq2ui - Revision 172: /trunk/ProfitUI

(ChineseSimplified-UTF8)readme.txt
(English-UTF8)Readme.txt
ProfitUI Readme.txt
ProfitUI_1024x768_eq2_uisettings.xml
ProfitUI_1280x1024_eq2_uisettings.xml
ProfitUI_1280x800_eq2_uisettings.xml
ProfitUI_1440x960_eq2_uisettings.xml
ProfitUI_1600x1050_eq2_uisettings.xml
ProfitUI_1600x1200_eq2_uisettings.xml
ProfitUI_1680x1050_eq2_uisettings.xml
ProfitUI_1900x1200_eq2_uisettings.xml
ProfitUI_1920x1200_eq2_uisettings.xml
ProfitUI_[Performance]_Profile.opt
ProfitUI_[Quality]_Profile.opt
ProfitUI_[Raid]_Profile.opt
ProfitUI_[Screenshots]_Profile.opt
UI/
changelog.html
eq2.ini

and none of those are files the launchpad itself uses. There's also 4 files the updater uses but doesn't place into the EQ2 game directory:

message.xml
obsolete.xml
softignore.xml
variants.xml

and they wouldn't affect the launchpad either if the updater did accidentally place them.