EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP

Unread 06-11-2005, 11:49 AM
A Forest Scavenger

Server: Antonia Bayle
Post Suggestions

Is it possible to have a fog layer for every map? It would be nice to be able to explore each zone before the map gives everyting away.

Also is there a way to put the POI icons under the existing fog on the maps that have it? As it stands now the dots show up on top.

I would also suggest that there be a way to turn quest information off. Like have an option on the Updater that allows you to download files that don't have quest information.

Is there information on how the xml files work (like how the overlays work)? I wanted to see if I could make some of these modifications myself.

I also have an idea of how to do automatic submits for POI. You can use macroes that write to a file. Then have a program that is running in the background checking for changes in the log file. When the program detects the POI it then submits it to the website. If you need help with this I can write it up (I just might do that).
Unread 06-11-2005, 02:53 PM
EQ2MAP Webmaster
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Unkown

Not possible to have fog on every map.

Not possible to put POI's under existing fog.

Maybe when someone gets motivated enough to work on that much extra coding we'll make different info downloads optional.

The best way to see how stuff works is just to open up the xml files in notepad and study them. They are waaaay too modified to try to explain it, for me at least.

About a program running in the background...
This may be a 3rd party application which is against the EULA. We will not have anything to do with it. I suggest you do not even work on it, let alone try to distibute it. That goes against all this entire site is built for.

We have long thought about a way to do some automatic submission, but have yet to actually find something that will feasibly work.

Otherwise, thank you for your suggestions.
Unread 06-11-2005, 03:04 PM
A Griffon

Server: Mistmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloa
About a program running in the background...
This may be a 3rd party application which is against the EULA. We will not have anything to do with it. I suggest you do not even work on it, let alone try to distibute it. That goes against all this entire site is built for.
I think you misunderstood him. He's talking about something that parses the log file, much like CombatStats does.

Using a tool like that, you could be in game and do something like this:

/loc
/submitpoi Entrance to Kugup in Crater Pond

And it could grab the location, the current zone, and the POI text, and submit it to the website while you are in game. Things like CombatStats are not banned, so why would this be?
Unread 06-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus
And it could grab the location, the current zone, and the POI text, and submit it to the website while you are in game. Things like CombatStats are not banned, so why would this be?
Doing something like that would add dozens of duplicate POI's until there is some sort of checking in place for dupes.
Unread 06-11-2005, 04:59 PM
A Forest Scavenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus
I think you misunderstood him. He's talking about something that parses the log file, much like CombatStats does.

Using a tool like that, you could be in game and do something like this:

/loc
/submitpoi Entrance to Kugup in Crater Pond

I didn't think the CombatStats where bannable and my idea is very similar to that, just against different information.
Unread 06-11-2005, 05:07 PM
A Forest Scavenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby
Doing something like that would add dozens of duplicate POI's until there is some sort of checking in place for dupes.
Agreed, Would it be ok if I made a mod that allowed you to create your own POI files but using your maps. I found the POI files to be easy to understand and easy to create.

The reason I would like to do this is that I like to explore myself and figure things out myself. I would like to be able to add POI that I find and put them on the maps. I do understand that this can not be done on the fly because EQ2 client only loads them once. But it would be nice if I could just plot my own POI that I was interested in.