EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > ProfitUI

Unread 01-13-2013, 09:38 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default No Java

Since Homeland Security has even denounced Java and recommended everyone uninstall it I finally decided to get rid of it.... my question is is there a way to have Profit up to date without this program?

Thanks!
Unread 01-13-2013, 11:32 PM
A Griffon

Server: Oasis

The problem wasn't Java persee but the Java Plug-ins used by Web Browsers. You can disable the Java Plugins but still have the Java Runtime installed to run separate Java Programs outside the browser. Oracle has since released Java Runtime 7, Update 11 which is not being blocked by Firefox (at the moment).

Currently, I have the Java Plugin disabled in Firefox, but am still able to run the DrumsUI Updater which uses the JRE outside of the browser.

Actually, the DrumsUI updater is the only reason Java's on my system at the moment.
Unread 01-14-2013, 11:45 AM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Unrest

You should be able to run the updater from the desktop shortcut without any problem. The updater's actually a Java program installed on your computer, not a browser-contained applet, so the blocking of the Java plug-in by Firefox and others doesn't affect it. The only thing that might be affected is initially installing the updater via the link on the Web page, and even that I don't think is affected because it's a JNLP link and not an applet (applets are handled by the browser plug-in, JNLP links are handed off to an external program that's part of the JRE to download and install).

The complete fix is to download Java 7 update 11 (it went live yesterday) from http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and install it after removing prior versions of Java including Java 6 (there's no patch for Java 6 planned, so it'll be permanently vulnerable).