EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > ProfitUI

Unread 12-14-2012, 09:12 AM
A Griffon

Server: Unrest
Default Patcher throwing exceptions?

Since yesterday when I put the examine.xml file on ignore, I get exceptions thrown every time I run the patcher. I don't know if they're related, I just know it didn't happen in the morning, only started after the patch. I have reinstalled the patcher, and reinstalled Java, and still getting it.

Maevyen - 95 Wizard          Maedonna - 95 Berserker
Maelani - 95 Mystic          Maehymn - 95 Troubadour
Maedelyn - 95 Warden         Maewyn - 95 Brigand
Maeniac - 95 Inquisitor      Maerilyn - 95 Assassin
Maenie - 95 Channeler        Maelynne - 95 Beastlord
Unrest Server
Unread 12-14-2012, 11:12 AM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelya View Post
Since yesterday when I put the examine.xml file on ignore, I get exceptions thrown every time I run the patcher. I don't know if they're related, I just know it didn't happen in the morning, only started after the patch. I have reinstalled the patcher, and reinstalled Java, and still getting it.

Simply open your java settings control panel and disable the console so you don't see the error its throwing. The patcher still runs just gives an error
Unread 12-14-2012, 04:23 PM
A Griffon

The answer to a bug report is "just ignore it"?!
Unrest Server
Unread 12-14-2012, 05:05 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
I've found that it usually happens after a Java automatic update. Installing Java cleanly from a downloaded off-line installer and then installing the Profit updater seems to clear up the problem until the next Java automatic update. It's not limited to just this, which is one reason I've disabled Java's automatic updates and do everything manually.
Unread 12-14-2012, 06:04 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
If you read through all of it its not a bug per se its an exception. The exception btw is an SQL one which means its not finding a datafield/database or table and therefore having to give that information to the programmer/user that the SQL table etc wasn't found hence Unknown. If the reason it displays is the console mode is enabled which actually depending on the settings can show more than just that. Does it not patch? No then its just displaying information which is usefull if the programmer wants to write code to handle that exception. Neither tknarr nor Drums wrote their patchers its written by I believe Kaldran so he would need to put in error handling for that. As tknarr pointed out though its mainly an issue with Java and the updates it does. Since I manually update Java I have yet to run into any of these errors so was only giving my observation and the solution to seeing it.

Last edited by Papabard : 12-14-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Unread 12-14-2012, 10:01 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabard View Post
Neither tknarr nor Drums wrote their patchers its written by I believe Kaldran so he would need to put in error handling for that.
And that's why I posted this.... I wanted to make him aware. I posted here because I wasn't aware of anywhere to post patcher specific bugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabard View Post
As tknarr pointed out though its mainly an issue with Java and the updates it does.
I manually updated Java, repeatedly, and still get the error.
Unrest Server
Unread 12-15-2012, 10:34 AM
A Griffon

I have gotten this exception twice recently. I'm using 32-bit Java 7 and I do not let it patch automatically. In both cases where the exception was thrown, I ignored it and the patch session seemed to complete as expected.

I personally think this is just Java being flaky. At least, I have not so far seen anything that looks like a bug in the patcher.

The thread does raise an interesting question: if I did suspect a bug in the patcher, where would I report it?
Unread 12-15-2012, 08:37 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Server: Antonia Bayle
Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

Either try Options -> Reset all settings, or Options -> Uninstall updater, an re-install.

One of those should fix the error. I believe it's from a java update and the updater not being completely compatible with all versions of java.
Unread 12-16-2012, 05:12 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumstix42 View Post
Either try Options -> Reset all settings, or Options -> Uninstall updater, an re-install.

One of those should fix the error. I believe it's from a java update and the updater not being completely compatible with all versions of java.
That totally broke it now... =/ I reset all settings, now every time I start it, it tells me its the first time and to make sure I set file paths and add ignored files. Problem is, it isn't saving anything in the File Paths section.

EDIT TO ADD: After resetting the settings again and rebooting before starting the updater, I was able to get it to work again, and no more throwing exceptions. I was about it to lose my mind there for a minute!!
Unrest Server

Last edited by Maelya : 12-16-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Unread 12-16-2012, 05:45 AM
A Griffon
Featured

Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

Oh another tip for this:

Sometimes the updater doesn't close properly, or sometimes it gets opened twice (we the user get impatient and click it twice). Having multiple javaw.exe's open make the patcher throw exceptions until you force the original one shut. A restart would mimic this since the exe would no longer be open after restart.
Unread 12-17-2012, 11:55 AM
A Grassland Beetle

I posted this about a month ago and got no response. I have 2 machines, 32-bit and 64-bit. Neither update java unless I okay it, the patcher works fine on both. But since coe came out the 64-bit pc throws that exception every time. I deleted java and reinstalled it twice, hasn't helped yet. I tried uninstalling the patcher but the instructions say to go to control panel and click the app, click uninstall. Except it doesn't show up in control panel. I will try the Options > Uninstall as listed above and see what happens.
But like mae said, when a program tells you there is a problem somewhere, it is a problem, not just some message you ignore. Otherwise, why even bother with giving you a warning?

Edit to add: Tried all the above, still get the error each time I run the patcher. Since it is only happening on the 64-bit machine, I would guess it has something to do with the 64-bit OS.

Last edited by zaradann : 12-17-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Unread 12-19-2012, 05:18 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

I am getting timed out exceptions...is the server this is hosted on down?
Unread 01-20-2013, 01:58 PM
A Brown Bear

Thumbs Up it worked

This is EXACTLY what the problem was. I did ctrl alt del; went to processes, ended the process ( I had already closed the updatedr, therefore this was a second one as mentioned) reran updater and it worked perfect. THANK YOU!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumstix42 View Post
Oh another tip for this:

Sometimes the updater doesn't close properly, or sometimes it gets opened twice (we the user get impatient and click it twice). Having multiple javaw.exe's open make the patcher throw exceptions until you force the original one shut. A restart would mimic this since the exe would no longer be open after restart.
Unread 01-21-2013, 11:11 AM
A Griffon

Interesting. If this shows up again for me, I'm going to check the process list. The system where I tend to see this almost never gets restarted because it's my local file and print server.