EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > Fetish

Unread 01-08-2010, 04:49 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Black Maps

I've been scouring these forums looking for a solution to my issue, but I've only come across a few posts for the same issue. I just did a clean install of EQ2, Fetish Nightfall 11.1, and EQ2MAP 1.2.4. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. While in Qeynos, my minimap displays just fine. My main map displays only POIs on a black background. I do have the search box and various POI and path buttons showing with the Fetish Nightfall theme. If I manually select the zone map from the dropdown instead of using the "current" option, the map works fine and updates as a I move around. However as soon as I enter a new map zone, the "current" map returns showing only the POIs on a black background.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what is causing this and how I can correct it?
Unread 01-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Please stop cross-posting. Since you gave the most detail here (except for the one that was deleted, not by me), I'm going to respond here and ask that the other thread be closed.

When you say you did a clean install, did you have any old installs still on your computer? If the path you gave is the one you are using to open EQ2, then verify that it's the one the updater is installing to:
  1. Open your EQ2MAP updater, go to options
  2. Make sure the "EverQuest 2" field points to C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\EverQuest II -- the path you gave. If it doesn't, use Browse to go to there.
  3. The "Autolaunch EQ2" field should be the same path with either "EQ2.exe" (if it's the old, original-style patcher) or "Launcher.exe" (if for some reason it's the newer-style patcher).

Also, be sure that you're running the AutoUpdater as an admin. Since you don't report any error messages I imagine there aren't any permissions issues, but it's always good to check. The issue you're reporting is not one that I've seen before, since you are seeing the maps there when using the manual zone select (and in the mini-map), just not in the main map when "current zone" is selected.
Unread 01-09-2010, 11:59 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Sorry for the cross-post, I wasn't sure where to put this information because I'm not sure what's causing it.

I have all the permissions set correctly and my EQ2MAP updater is pointing to the right folders and executables. I just made a new character on Queen's Colony and the map works perfectly. But when I sent that new character to Qeynos I get the black maps. When switching to the old map system in the EQ2 options, it works fine. But the new map system is black in all the Qeynos zones I've been to so far. It seems to be related to pulling the "current zone" map because I can manually set the current map and it works.

What are the XML files associated with this "current zone" function and the map graphics? I'd like to do a little sleuthing on my end.
Unread 01-10-2010, 05:16 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Butcherblock
Default Issue is UI Settings File?

Hi there!

I have had the same issue. I recently switched PC's and after setting myself up thinking I was all good to go, my maps were BLACK!! Just POI's listed and nothing else. The Fog element was repeatedly erased. I was only able to get most maps to show by clicking off the Current Zone map to something else and then reloading the Current Zone map. However once I left the zone I was in, this would all reset and the map would be black. If I went back to a zone with a problem map, the same issue would occur.

So.. Since I thought I was all good to go after I setup the pc I switched to, I went ahead and spent alot of time figuring out exactly what I am doing or the game is doing to cause the maps to go black.

Really long and tedious story short:

If you are using the /load_uisettings command or even when prompted from a fresh install to load a UI Settings file, the following lines of text in any of your UI Settings files appear to be causing the issue. Keep in mind the numbers and stuff do not need to be exact.. Just loook for Map2_clone_x lines. I've posted the whole mess here anyway:

</Window>
<Window Name="Map2_clone_0" alignment="2" alignment_offset="-64,185" locked="true" size="284,282" visible="true" window_style="1">
<Properties clone_version="4" hidefog="false" maximized="false" useworldzoom="true" version="4" worldzoom="0.988409">
<MapSettings alignment="0" location="535,237" mode="0" offset="535,237" size="837,703" />
<MapSettings alignment="0" location="0,0" mode="1" offset="0,0" size="1908,1178" />
<MapSettings alignment="2" location="1560,185" mode="2" offset="-64,185" size="284,282" />
</Properties>
</Window>
<Window Name="Map2_clone_1" alignment="8" alignment_offset="134,92" size="837,703">
<Properties clone_version="4" enable_poi_filter="true" hidefog="false" maximized="false" poi_unknown_type_filter="false" useworldzoom="false" version="4" worldzoom="1.45006">
<MapSettings alignment="8" location="670,330" mode="0" offset="134,92" size="837,703" />
<MapSettings alignment="0" location="0,0" mode="1" offset="0,0" size="1908,1178" />
<MapSettings alignment="0" location="75,75" mode="2" offset="75,75" size="150,150" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="BELL" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="HOUSE" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="LOCATION" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="MOB" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="MOBHEROIC" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="MOBNAMED" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="MOBSOLO" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="NPC" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="QUESTSTART" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="QUESTUPDATE" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="SHINY" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="SHOP" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="TRANSPORT" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="ZONE" />
</Properties>
</Window>
<Window Name="Map2_clone_2" alignment="8" alignment_offset="-1,-1" size="837,703">
<Properties clone_version="4" enable_poi_filter="true" hidefog="false" maximized="false" poi_unknown_type_filter="false" useworldzoom="false" version="4" worldzoom="1.5">
<MapSettings alignment="0" location="535,237" mode="0" offset="535,237" size="837,703" />
<MapSettings alignment="0" location="75,75" mode="2" offset="75,75" size="150,150" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="BELL" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="HOUSE" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="LOCATION" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="MOB" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="MOBHEROIC" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="MOBNAMED" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="MOBSOLO" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="NPC" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="QUESTSTART" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="QUESTUPDATE" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="SHINY" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="SHOP" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="TRANSPORT" />
<TypeFilter filter="false" type="ZONE" />
</Properties>

The black maps happened when I used /load_uisettings to load a previously used profile and also when you are starting from scratch with no settings file for the character you are loading, you are asked to choose one. When I did, the same thing happened.

When I deleted the lines above, from the settings files I was trying to use, prior to importing them after a fresh start of the game, the Maps are now functioning normally with my edited settings files.

To get a fresh start without too much issue, just delete everything from your Everquest II folder except the following folders:

Packs, Music, Legends of Norrath

The rest comes down pretty fast from the Launcher/Launchpad.

You can even try keeping your UI folder. The problem does not appear to be stemming from the UI mods themselves. It will however persist because it seems that the settings are stored in cached/recent type files/folders.

The .opt files (saved Options settings) and the eq2.ini file also is not affected by the problem here and those can be kept/copied back.

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps!

Last edited by cerulean : 01-10-2010 at 05:26 AM.
Unread 01-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerulean View Post
Hi there!

I have had the same issue. I recently switched PC's and after setting myself up thinking I was all good to go, my maps were BLACK!! Just POI's listed and nothing else. The Fog element was repeatedly erased. I was only able to get most maps to show by clicking off the Current Zone map to something else and then reloading the Current Zone map. However once I left the zone I was in, this would all reset and the map would be black. If I went back to a zone with a problem map, the same issue would occur.

So.. Since I thought I was all good to go after I setup the pc I switched to, I went ahead and spent alot of time figuring out exactly what I am doing or the game is doing to cause the maps to go black.

Really long and tedious story short:

If you are using the /load_uisettings command or even when prompted from a fresh install to load a UI Settings file, the following lines of text in any of your UI Settings files appear to be causing the issue. Keep in mind the numbers and stuff do not need to be exact.. Just loook for Map2_clone_x lines. I've posted the whole mess here anyway:

{snip}

The black maps happened when I used /load_uisettings to load a previously used profile and also when you are starting from scratch with no settings file for the character you are loading, you are asked to choose one. When I did, the same thing happened.

When I deleted the lines above, from the settings files I was trying to use, prior to importing them after a fresh start of the game, the Maps are now functioning normally with my edited settings files.
Interesting. clone_0 is the minimap, and clone_1 should be the normal map but it seems you also had a clone_2 (a clone of the regular map). That certainly could be an issue if the current_zone detection only works properly in the regular map (clone_1).

To Grhuff: Given cerulean's information, I'd suggest opening your <Server>_<Character>_eq2_uisettings.xml character and search for Map2_clone_2. If you find that, delete everything from <Window Name="Map2_clone_2" down through the corresponding </Window> command.
Unread 01-10-2010, 09:54 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

You are a genius. After removing everything in my EQ2 folder except the LegendsOfNorrath, music, and PAKS folders, I used Station Launcher to update the game and reinstalled Fetish and EQ2MAP. I modified the 1920x1200 XML layout file and removed the three map sections as you indicated. Once in the game I loaded the 1920z1200 settings and the map works perfectly. Thanks again and I hope any others with this issue will see this thread.
Unread 01-10-2010, 10:12 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Neriak
Default Map

Alt+M and Alt+m again
Unread 01-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfighter View Post
Alt+M and Alt+m again
That's the issue with the non-SOE maps that is alleviated by using the minimap (Alt+M), which is unrelated to the OP's issue (which has now been solved).
Unread 01-10-2010, 01:28 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhuff View Post
You are a genius. After removing everything in my EQ2 folder except the LegendsOfNorrath, music, and PAKS folders, I used Station Launcher to update the game and reinstalled Fetish and EQ2MAP. I modified the 1920x1200 XML layout file and removed the three map sections as you indicated. Once in the game I loaded the 1920z1200 settings and the map works perfectly. Thanks again and I hope any others with this issue will see this thread.
Awesome! I'm glad it worked for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfighter View Post
Alt+M and Alt+m again
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm9 View Post
BTW is there any reproducible test case for this? If there is it can probably be worked around automatically (and if it's just by toggling the minimap automatically).
The Alt+M and Alt+M again did not work for me, in fact it was the very first thing I tried. I did however keep doing it each time i eliminated a probable cause of the issue. And sometimes i would do repeatedly in frustration! The fact that the maps turned black (as if the file wasn't loading or there were some kind of issues with Win 7 permissions/rights) led me on a long journey of what the problem could be... and of course it was the very last thing I would think of. If I had been cognizant of the issue when I was setting it all up, possibly seeing that the maps were fine before I loaded a settings xml file up then it may not have taken me hours to figure out. This included a fresh install of Win 7 and deleting some of my boyfriends stuff accidentally Oh well!

I believe that if you copy/paste my lines i listed earlier into one of your xml settings files, you can reproduce the issue. However I am aware now that I did build my settings files on the pc I swapped to from the Fetish models included with his mod. So check out the FETISH_1920x1200_eq2_uisettings.xml file at least.

I am really so happy it worked for you grhuff! I'm a little short on time the next few days to go about reproducing it/fixing it again.

Happy Trails!
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:37 PM
A Coastal Crab

Server: Unkown

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordebon View Post
Interesting. clone_0 is the minimap, and clone_1 should be the normal map but it seems you also had a clone_2 (a clone of the regular map). That certainly could be an issue if the current_zone detection only works properly in the regular map (clone_1).

To Grhuff: Given cerulean's information, I'd suggest opening your <Server>_<Character>_eq2_uisettings.xml character and search for Map2_clone_2. If you find that, delete everything from <Window Name="Map2_clone_2" down through the corresponding </Window> command.
I have had the same issues with my map after i tried out the new fetish ui.
With your suggestion to clear that all the mess is gone. I have to thank you, so i thank you a lot...
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:53 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Since this appears to have been confirmed as an issue with the settings files for Fetish I'll move this over to Zonx' forums so he sees it.
Unread 01-23-2010, 03:48 PM
A Grove Wisp

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordebon View Post

I tried the just deleting the clone2 map stuff like you suggested to try and avoid all the reinstalling...and magically my map is fixed! whoohooo...thanks!
Unread 01-23-2010, 05:25 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katz_Mckatz View Post
I tried the just deleting the clone2 map stuff like you suggested to try and avoid all the reinstalling...and magically my map is fixed! whoohooo...thanks!
Your Welcome!
Unread 02-13-2010, 07:20 PM
A Green Troll
Featured

Server: Blackburrow
Send a message via Yahoo to Zonx

FYI, while prepping for the Sentinel's update, I verified this was only an issue for the included 1920x1200 settings file. The UI itself is fine. The bugged settings file will be replaced in the next (Sentinel's) update.