EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP > EQ2Map Troubleshooting

Unread 03-17-2009, 05:12 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default new computer loads map but not into EQ2 game

have new computer. windows vista home premium SP1 64 bit intel dual core. downloaded map 1,2,3. shows on desk top and in programs. will not apply itself into EQ2. only map that shows in eq2 is the (i believe) original with no poi's etc.

i tried using "run as admin" and not using "run". i downloaded the suggested items listed in the instructions. i can't find a program that will read eq2map123 in order to run it although i browsed through all that are available except office (don't want office).

directions please.

i am not very computer literate (sorry to say)
Unread 03-17-2009, 05:24 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

The file you download is a .zip file. If it isn't, rename it accordingly. Inside the .zip you find an .exe which you can double click to run and which will install the eq2map updater. Start the updater as administrator once it is installed.
Unread 03-17-2009, 06:10 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

thanks for info. but i can not seem to find a program that will accept eqmap 123 in order to read it. can you suggest a program (other than office)? it would seem that i can not open the zip to get to the exe. the map program is listed in my download programs file and is in the "start" menu. the shortcut is on the desktop but when i try to open it a window pops up asking which program i want to use to read with. i did try those listed, and browsed but can not seem to find one which works.
Unread 03-17-2009, 07:00 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Oh that sounds like you caught a virus which broke the file association for .exe files. See here, for example. That virus seems to be going around currently, someone else I talked to had a similar problem recently.

Last edited by gm9 : 03-17-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Unread 03-18-2009, 05:38 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

well, here i am again. i took your advise and now have registrysmart. glad i did, it found lots of errors. however, i am still not able to get the map to open. when i looked at the compatibility list, vista is not on it.

after i hit "open" on the download window, the open/save window comes up. i am asked to select a program that will speak the same language. i can even browse to select one. i have yet to find one that works.

do i have a system that just won't work with eqmap 123?

the suggestion to change the "zip" to exe doesn't seem reachable or i don't know what i am doing (which is possible)

i really miss the map i can tell you!

again thanks for working with me on this issue.
Unread 03-18-2009, 06:13 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

no you're supposed to change the .zip to .exe, it is supposed to be a .zip. If you cannot open a .zip either that part of your windows is broken also (reinstalling windows might not be such a bad idea at this point) but third party tools like WinZIP or WinRAR are another option.

However your descriptions of your error change all the time also - you said you already have the links to EQ2MAP in your start menu which means you already installed it?
Unread 03-18-2009, 11:30 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

i know my messages have been confusing. so i will try to talk here about what happens.

i did manage to get map back into programs (using windows explorer). the shortcut is on the desktop and when i open the start all programs window maps updater is in there.

i did some more exploring and testing, etc. which i have described in a word document and you can have if you would like. but as i tested the following window came up for the first time.

"error updating" errors while trying to update eq2map i will copy it here.

Error Opening Database File: mscorlib
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, DirectorySecurity dirSecurity)
at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path, DirectorySecurity directorySecurity)
at EQ2MAPUpdater.MainWindow.DownloadUpdates()Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\EQ2MAP Updater\cache\' is denied.

does this help?
Unread 03-19-2009, 12:17 AM
EQ2MAP Developer
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Splitpaw

As you get this error message you have managed to install the Eq2MAP updater

You need to right click the EQ2MAP Updater icon and select to run it as Administrator to clear this error.
Unread 03-19-2009, 12:45 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

I hit administrator and map window filled out. I was asked to manually open EQ2. I did and when it opened i tried the map and the pois are not there etc. It would seem that the info is not transferring from eqmap to eq2.

So I will include in this post more info that i gathered.

I know my messages have been confusing. So I will try to talk here about what happens.

I did manage to get map back into programs (using windows explorer). The shortcut is on the desktop and when I opened the start all programs window maps updater is in there.

I did some more exploring and testing, etc. As I tested, the following window came up for the first time. The new window that came up is headed "Windows - start menu- programs - eq2map updater". The side panel has eq2m updater highlighted. but the info states that this file is empty.

Next I double clicked the shortcut on the desktop. I get a window that is named "select your everquest2.exe file". The location bar states "local Disk (C > Program files> and under name lists a number of folders, such as common files, everquest2 exe, internes explorer, some microsoft folders, sony, and some windows folders.

At the bottom, is a bar labeled “File name:” with a drop down arrow. Next to that is a bar in which is says “everquest2.exe and has a drop down arrow.

Below it says open cancel

I clicked the down arrow for the “file name” and I found for the first time the following which I accepted:

c:\program files (x86)\sony\everquestII\eq2settings.exe

After hitting open the following error message came up:

at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, DirectorySecurity dirSecurity)
at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path, DirectorySecurity directorySecurity)
at EQ2MAPUpdater.MainWindow.DownloadUpdates()Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\EQ2MAP Updater\cache\' is denied.

I went back to the “select your everquest2.exe file” and selected :

c:\ProgramFiles (x86)\EEverQuest2 exe Q@MAP Updater\EQ@map_Updater.exe

Again the right hand box had “everquest2.exe” i clicked Open

A new window came up saying:

this error reading eq2.ini file

System.UnaurthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Program files (x86)\eq2map Updater\eq2.ini' is denied.
At System.IO._Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, File Access
access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize,FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode)
at EQ2MAPUpdater.MainWindow.ReadEQ@ini()

i clicked out of this message and got:

at EQ2MAPUpdater.MainWindow.DownloadUpdates()Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\EQ2MAP Updater\cache\' is denied .

I don't know if the above info will be of help but i sure hope so. I hate being a pest about anything, however, i sure would like to solve the problem so i can enjoy eq2 more. I, again, thank you for your time and effort on my behalf.

Sincerely, Farsheildescale

Last edited by farsheildescale : 03-19-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Unread 03-19-2009, 01:30 AM
EQ2MAP Developer
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Splitpaw

Quote:
Next I double clicked the shortcut on the desktop. I get a window that is named "select your everquest2.exe file". The location bar states "local Disk (C > Program files> and under name lists a number of folders, such as common files, everquest2 exe, internes explorer, some microsoft folders, sony, and some windows folders.

At the bottom, is a bar labeled “File name:” with a drop down arrow. Next to that is a bar in which is says “everquest2.exe and has a drop down arrow.

Below it says open cancel

I clicked the down arrow for the “file name” and I found for the first time the following which I accepted:

c:\program files (x86)\sony\everquestII\eq2settings.exe
The problem here is that you don't select the file it whant's,in your case :
"c:\program files (x86)\sony\everquestII\everquest2.exe"

The next error :
Access to the path '*\eq2.ini' is denied.
You need to run the updater as Administrator, right click your desktop icon for EQ2MAP Updater and select to run it as Administrator.
Unread 03-19-2009, 12:30 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

yes it was both of those errors. i had to uninstall then reinstall in order to get to the proper window to follow your instructions.

i noted that after the map has done it's initial loading. i had to close it leaving auto launch on. then i selected the "run as admin".

it worked like a charm.

i hope all this info you and i have given in this thread will be of help to others.

sincerely, and thanks again!
Unread 03-31-2009, 11:21 AM
A Coastal Crab

Lightbulb Hmm

I really have no idea if this has anything to do with eqmaps or not. I was having trouble getting my eq2map to work using the run as admin trick. It just would not work for me. I clicked the Profit UI updater at random and it updated 2 items. I clicked the eqmap to run as admin and it worked 0.o. did its thing and said i had no new updates heh. still are these two connected in some way? should other ppl be forcing an update with the Profit UI prior to eqmaps?
Just a thought.