EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Help!?!?!

Unread 01-12-2005, 03:37 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Lucan DLere
Default Isn't /loadUI compiled and executed by the client code?

I would like to hear UI developers ideas on this.
As I'm sure many users of the EQ2 Forums already know.
There are many, many players having problems with what may or may not be a memory leak.

The bottom line is that eventually these people's clients crash.

There is virtual smorgasbord of platforms that have this problem, not to mention zones, servers, times etc...

It's all quiet confusing and appears to be quiet a problem to solve for the developers reproduce, let alone fix.

I myself have noticed that my physical RAM begins to get consumed by the system at
a rate of about 10MB per minute on Balanced Video settings when sitting at the Character Select screen, and this trend continues until all physical RAM is used up.

Eventually it runs out, and the system becomes unstable and crashes to desktop.

The reason I bring this question here!
Is for your opinions.

There is a know issue with the in game command /loadui crashing peoples clients.

There is also an issue with the CustomUI tool that is included with
the game crashing with a 'memory leak' error message.

Isn't it possible/likely that the client code is executing this command when you start the game and every time you zone?

The module, or function, or call or whatever it is that is executed automatically by the game code, can not be THAT different then the same code that is executed when the player types in the command /loadUI.

Why would the software loading a UI act differently then a user typing the command /loadUI?

If there are any programmers or UI Developers that are familiar with the various threads on the EverQuest 2 'memory leak.'

I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

If your opinion is that this is where the problem rest, is there anything I can do as an End User to fix this on my machine?
Unread 01-12-2005, 04:50 PM
A Crazed Gnoll

Mayebe it hardcoded to look for a UI part that was never put in, and it keeps looking for it? like a Timer, dreaming there, that they just never put in?
Unread 01-12-2005, 07:19 PM
A Rumbleroot Sapling

Server: Antonia Bayle

There are a great number of UI windows/parts that I have yet to see a use for. Most of it looks like left over UI windows from EQ1. Memorized spells, Quickkey window to name a couple. The fact that not everyone one is seeing the problem, pretty much rules out the UI, due to the fact that everyone is using the same "UI Loading" code. I have the benifit of working for a computer development company. I have loaded EQ2 on a great deal of systems and have never seen this problem. Also, I'd like to point out that their a literally 2 video card companies that can run this game. Both ATI, and Nvidia use the same base driver code for all thier cards. On the other had their are a fair number of audio cards, and with the massive amount of audio in EQ2, I would start my search there. Lastly, memory manufacturers would be the most likely culprit. Some have very low standards and are usually high sellers on the "cheap memory" market. The same goes for motherboard manufacturers. If you posted every model number of every part in your system I could probably narrow down your search.
Unread 01-12-2005, 07:54 PM
A Griffon
Featured

A lot of the stuff seems to be from Beta acctually. I know for 1 or 2 things from asking in IRC.
Unread 01-12-2005, 09:23 PM
A Griffon

Server: Neriak

I think that you guys are at the same time expecting too little and too much.

Too little out of Sony, and too much out of your systems and your pocketbooks. You should not have to rebuild a computer system in any fashion because of one game, unless you have an ancient system.

I've been looking at the Sony forums for EQ2 for weeks now, trying to find any useful information about this horrible memory leak, but I have yet to even find an admission from Sony that there is a memory leak, let alone any sort of information about work being done to fix it.

There are a ton of users of all sorts speculating on possible reasons for the memory leak, blaming anything from "stupid Sony" to "stupid users" to "stupid hardware". Lots of blame being thrown around, lots of theories about why the leak happens, very few constructive ideas on how to fix it, and no comment from Sony.

The few positive workarounds I've read about generally involve adding more physical RAM and defragmenting the hard drive. These suggestions will prolong the inevitable, but won't fix the problem.

Our best hope lies in repeatedly spamming the /bug report ingame, restarting the game every few hours to avoid a total crash of our machines, and hope that Sony will fix it someday. If you've got the funds, put more physical RAM in your machine.
Unread 01-12-2005, 09:32 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Now others have said if you switch between full screen and window mode that their memory usage goes down. Just the act of switching it back and forth. I havent had a problem with memory usage but the rig I play EQ2 on has 2.5gb of ram atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killarny
Our best hope lies in repeatedly spamming the /bug report ingame, restarting the game every few hours to avoid a total crash of our machines, and hope that Sony will fix it someday. If you've got the funds, put more physical RAM in your machine.
Yeah spaming the /bug reports helps the dev's figure out the memory leak problem. Obviously they want to fix it they just havent figured out how to fix it or they have to change millions of lines of code.

Spaming the /bug report is just going to make it harder for them to find other problems.

Last edited by Dolby : 01-12-2005 at 09:41 PM.
Unread 01-12-2005, 09:37 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Seriously. It's broken. They said it's broken. If they had a fix for it, they would test and release it. It's not the end of the world. We will live for now. I assure you all!
Unread 01-12-2005, 10:09 PM
A Griffon

Did they say that it was broken? I have used the dev tracker on the SOE forums and inspected all dev posts related to the memory leak, and have yet to see any comments beyond TSRs asking for msconfig logs to be posted.

Do you have any links to Sony acknowledging the problem? Silly as it may sound, just seeing them acknowledge it might make some people feel better. Right now, it seems like we're screaming into a black hole - hence the /bug spamming :P
Unread 01-13-2005, 02:12 AM
A Griffon

Server: Blackburrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmos
Isn't it possible/likely that the client code is executing this command when you start the game and every time you zone?
You could check with filemon..

Unread 01-13-2005, 05:34 PM
A Griffon

Default Reply

Insomniac, I'm not familiar with 'filemon'?
Unread 01-13-2005, 11:35 PM
A Griffon

Server: Blackburrow

Filemon

Thanks to Azek for showing me this. It's a fun little program that tracks (all? most? uh..) alot of stuff that your computer is doing. You can limit it to tracking what everquest2.exe is doing, and look for when it opens xml files.

Here's a pic of the beginning of the inital ui loading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filemon.gif
Views:	343
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	724  

Unread 01-14-2005, 02:01 AM
a hedgehog
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Server: Nagafen

ahh filemon...i love that program. There are lots of other monitors by sysinternals like registry and startup that could help you clean your dirty systems so you can play EQ2 more efficiently
________
The Sanctuary of Truth Wong Amat

Last edited by tonyis3l33t : 09-16-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Unread 01-15-2005, 09:19 AM
A Griffon

Default Filemon

That looks like an interesting little program, I am going to have to check that out.
Unread 01-15-2005, 03:42 PM
A Griffon

Default Memory Leak found

http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/e...ssage.id=52532
Unread 01-15-2005, 04:39 PM
A Griffon

Interesting.. that would mean that all of us who use Blaz's little extractor tool and installed the .net beta would have no more memory leak :P

I just did that yesterday, but I haven't paid attention to the game enough to notice if I had the memory leak still.

If indeed this does fix the memory leak, I vote for a new sticky thread to be made with this information.

Last edited by Killarny : 01-15-2005 at 04:44 PM.
Unread 01-15-2005, 09:55 PM
A Griffon
Featured

I've had .NET for a long time. I dunno much about memory leaks, Not much at all really. But I know with my 1 gig of RAM that after zoning (a lot) that it seems to get a little llaggier (morely in cities) and longer zoning times. I do know that afte playing 1 game to the next, it is good to restart you comp to get rid of all the extra memory usage. (mostly for newer games) Though I'm not sure it's possible to stop all memory leaks (possible yes, but probable? I doubt it). But like I said, I don't know too much about that stuff.
Unread 01-18-2005, 10:09 AM
A Griffon

I've edited that other post about the .Net information. Which was useful, but alas doesn't seem to be what was causing my memory leak.

I changed many things at one time to fix it, and now I'm back tracking trying to figure out what particlar change it was that fixed the problem.

I'm probably the only person playing EverQuest II that is trying to re-create a memory leak at the moment.

I uninstalled the .Net Framework and everquest and then re-installed everquest and still did not have the memory leak, so I can't say for sure that was what caused it.

I want to be able to change one thing on my system, and see the same response with Everquest. IE everything works great, just lose 10MB of availble memory per minute.

I have not unpacked the UIEditor this time, and I was curious if it is still experiencing the memory leaks error messages as it was before?
I have not seen a post on that in a while.

Last edited by Kosmos : 01-18-2005 at 10:12 AM.
Unread 01-18-2005, 03:03 PM
A Griffon
Featured

It has not been updated so the answer to the UIBuilder memory leaks is yes.