EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > ProfitUI

Unread 06-23-2016, 06:47 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Unkown
Default Updater Failing

My new profit updater is now failing when launched. I have been using it fine since installing it when it came out. I get no information, just the Windows popup to send the information to Microsoft. This is Windows 7 64 bit.

Anything further I can look at for details?
Unread 06-23-2016, 10:15 PM
A Weald Wolf

Server: Unkown

Just tested mine and it's working fine.

It sounds like yours isn't able to connect so it just quits?

I would delete it and just download the installer again and put it in your ProfitUI CE folder and try running it again.

Lastly you can see if a firewall or antivirus is blocking it.
Unread 06-24-2016, 09:45 AM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

The new updater is a .NET application and I'm not sure how it would respond to a loss of connectivity, assuming that's the actual issue. Darq can answer that best, seeing as he wrote it.

You could try running a fresh copy of the updater in case running copy somehow broke. It's entirely stand-alone and doesn't require installation as such.

It's also possible that the misbehavior is due to corrupted local data. Besides the UI files, the updater does store some information elsewhere for its use. One of the reasons I wrote the NukeProfit.BAT script was to ensure that the other local data was deleted when ProfitUI was uninstalled. You might try running that to totally uninstall Profit, then run the updater to reinstall it.

These are just educated guesses. That's about all I can offer without hard evidence like system event logs.

FWIW, I have seen occasional cases of an application just breaking for no obvious reason. I see a lot more of that in Windows 10 than I ever did in Windows 7, but it is a remote possibility.

-= Therendil =-
Unread 06-24-2016, 10:47 AM
A Griffon

The ProfitUI_CE utility does not go to the cloud until the user specifically requests it from the app: check for updates, EQ2MAP updates, link to EQ2Interface, etc. So it should launch even without connectivity. Therendil's nuke script will reset the utility's settings, but it also deletes your ProfitUI_CE folder. Maybe we should have another script that resets only the utility?

Otherwise, in your ProfitUI_CE folder there is a file called utilitylog.txt. If you will zip and send that to darqwood at hotmail dot com I'll see if I can figure out what's up.

Unread 06-25-2016, 10:34 AM
A Griffon

Glad to hear there is a log file that you can check. And thanks for clarifying the connectivity situation. I didn't think it was connectivity. The popup makes it sound more like an abnormal exit.

The idea of a different script that only deletes the updater's local app data is a good one. I'll try to add that to the distribution this weekend.

-= Therendil =-
Unread 10-16-2016, 01:10 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Mistmoore

Getting a "parser error" seems to be related to .NET.

Uninstalled all the .NET I could (Windows 10) reinstalled .NET

Same issue.
Unread 10-16-2016, 04:25 PM
A Griffon

The version of .NET you need for the utility is 4. Look in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework and make sure you have a folder called v4.0.30319. If you don't see it, you can get it at:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=17851

Is the utility showing up at all when you open it?

Unread 10-16-2016, 04:39 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqwood View Post
The version of .NET you need for the utility is 4. Look in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework and make sure you have a folder called v4.0.30319. If you don't see it, you can get it at:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=17851

Is the utility showing up at all when you open it?

That is the version I have. Doesn't open at all. So far, its the only .NET application I've run across that won't run. Still attempting to troubleshoot.

Edit : Attempting to copy out the machine.config for a backup and rename the .config.default

That seems to have worked!

Last edited by vw_factor : 10-16-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Unread 10-16-2016, 04:45 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

I should add, this is for the .NET installation. Some how the config file didn't rewrite to default upon reinstallation.