EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > DDS/Graphics Modification Help & Info

Unread 04-06-2011, 12:46 PM
A Griffon

Server: Lucan DLere
Default Question about TKing & His Artwork

Hey all - I wasn't sure where to put this - hope its in the correct forum section:

just wondering what ever happened to TKing - I was a huge fan of his EQ1 UI's - his website is gone and I just wondered if anyone knows what became of him.

second question: I have my own personal UI mod using bits and pieces of TKing artwork that I have never shared due to worry over copywrite issues - I would never want to step on his toes by releasing recycled bits of his work without permission.

any guidance would be most appreciated!
Unread 04-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Credendo Vides
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

This is the most recent info we have on him.
Unread 04-07-2011, 10:12 AM
A Griffon

thank you for the info
Unread 04-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Credendo Vides
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

You're welcome.

Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Unread 04-07-2011, 06:03 PM
A Griffon

Server: Butcherblock

it has been my understanding that most modders are open to the sharing of their work as long as all kudos goes to the origional creator (aka dont take credit yourself for their work)
Unread 04-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Credendo Vides
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

Not so with T.King. His stuff is ARR. The only way you can use his graphics is if you ask first and get his permission.

In general, that's just a good plan all around. You should always ask first, don't assume.

Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Unread 04-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Oasis
Send a message via ICQ to Landiin Send a message via AIM to Landiin Send a message via MSN to Landiin Send a message via Yahoo to Landiin

What is the deference between the graphic files I upload and this TKing person uploads? We both agree to the same Terms. If they have some kind of arrangement with them I want the same thing.

Granted it would be dirt baggish of someone to use them with out their permission but just saying...

Last edited by Landiin : 04-08-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Unread 04-08-2011, 07:41 PM
A Griffon

for now the stuff I have will remain private - I wont share it with anyone till I get express permission to do so - its just better that way imo,
Unread 04-08-2011, 11:53 PM
Credendo Vides
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landiin View Post
What is the deference between the graphic files I upload and this TKing person uploads? We both agree to the same Terms. If they have some kind of arrangement with them I want the same thing.
Huh? Does who have what with whom?
Unread 04-09-2011, 09:13 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
What is the deference between the graphic files I upload and this TKing person uploads? We both agree to the same Terms.
What terms? You are granting EQ2I the right to distribute your files but that's about it. Although most UIs come without an explicit license, that does not mean their authors waved their rights to them, they are free to make those files available under whatever license they want.
Unread 04-11-2011, 03:31 AM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Send a message via ICQ to Landiin Send a message via AIM to Landiin Send a message via MSN to Landiin Send a message via Yahoo to Landiin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Not so with T.King. His stuff is ARR. The only way you can use his graphics is if you ask first and get his permission.
Just going from what Cairenn said. Every thing From TKing for EQ2 is from 3 authors and there is nothing in any of the files stating the graphics can't be reused without the author permission. So I just read into it by the way she said what she did there was some kind of agreement between Tking and Interface/Zam.

Code, Graphics, file and whatever are swapped/reused between authors here like spouses at a swingers convention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm9 View Post
What terms? You are granting EQ2I the right to distribute your files but that's about it. Although most UIs come without an explicit license, that does not mean their authors waved their rights to them, they are free to make those files available under whatever license they want.
What Terms? The Terms you have to agree to, to upload anything.

Last edited by Landiin : 04-11-2011 at 03:37 AM.
Unread 04-11-2011, 04:38 AM
A Griffon
Featured

Server: Antonia Bayle
Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

She may have been referring to his art not uploaded here. Not sure, could be both :P
Unread 04-11-2011, 05:36 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
What Terms? The Terms you have to agree to, to upload anything.
I realize that, but unless I've always missed something crucial in those terms there is nothing in there that waives your rights to what you are uploading.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by terms
  • This file is not commercial software that is otherwise sold for a fee, and you are not the publisher thereof.
  • This file is not copyrighted software that may not be freely distributed, and to which you are not the copyright holder.
that only means I must not upload something that isn't my own unless it can be freely distributed.

Last edited by gm9 : 04-11-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Unread 04-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Thats exactly my point GM9 there is nothing there...

It really not worth it, its a none issue anyways.
Unread 04-11-2011, 08:48 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Oh ok, now I finally understand what you were going for with your original comment. Fair enough, and I agree.
Unread 04-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Credendo Vides
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

Ah, I see what you were asking about, now.

No, what you are agreeing to when you upload to our site is that you are giving us permission to distribute your files (code, art, etc). It isn't that you are signing over your rights as the author/artist to us. All code and artwork is copyright the creator at the time of creation. Yes, in general most addon authors/artists are happy to share their code/art with each other, but there is no obligation to do so. So unless there is a license stating otherwise included with the file, all code/artwork is automatically ARR (all rights reserved).