EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP > EQ2Map Troubleshooting

Unread 11-19-2011, 02:57 AM
A Brown Bear

Server: Unkown
Default Error Reading EQ2.ini File

I get this message everytime I run the eq2 map updater and yes I run it as administraror. Error Reading EQ2.ini File
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Public\Sony online Entertainment\installed Games\Everquest II\eq2.ini is denied.
There's a bunch more but that's the first two lines.
Help please.
Unread 11-19-2011, 05:43 AM
A Griffon

Server: Permafrost

Try deleting/renaming your eq2.ini file as suggested in this thread, and see if it helps.

"Certainty of death! Small chance of success! What are we waiting for?!"

Unread 11-20-2011, 02:03 AM
A Brown Bear

I tried changing my EQ2 ini file but I couldn't find it so changing it was impossible. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling eq2maps but that didn't fix the problem. The only good news is eq2maps seems to be updating and it does autolaunch. Eq2maps ran fine the two times before I installed it on previous windows versions but after I had to format and reinstall Win7 it just wont run like it always has before. I'm lost on how to fix it if uninstalling wont help.
Unread 11-20-2011, 03:24 AM
A Griffon

The file should be in the same directory/path the error you get states (C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\EverQuest II).

If you do not have file extensions visible, the file you're looking for is the only one named 'eq2' (which is a 'configuration settings' file and should be 1Kb in size). Or, to be sure you find it correctly, go in to Folder Options (Alt + T for the Tools menu) and go into the View tab and uncheck the box next to 'Hide extensions for known file types'.

Unread 11-20-2011, 09:22 AM
A Brown Bear

I searched every file in everquest 2 thru this path: Local Disk <C:>/Users/Public/Sony Online Entertainment/installed Games/Everquest 2. The only files I have in Everquest 2 are cache, Keyboards, Layouts, LegendsofNorath, logincache-us,Miles, mozilla, music,paks,redist,UI and the Everquest2 icon. Nowhere in those files was EQ2 ini. Am I looking in the wrong files?
Unread 11-20-2011, 10:09 AM
A Griffon

Sounds like you're missing a whole lot more than just the eq2.ini file then (see attached image for what my Everquest2 directory looks like)!

If you're missing as many files as you appear to be, missing the eq2.ini file is the least of your worries.

My suggestion is to uninstall and reinstall the game, as (if I'm understanding you correctly) you are missing a lot of key files. Then once that is done, try running the eq2map updater again, and see if it creates the eq2.ini file like it should.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	7757  

Unread 11-20-2011, 02:43 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

I have the same problem and part of why the other suggestions aren't working is because you are trying to install it in EQ2x instead of regular Eq2, the directory's are much different and the default install is designed around eq2, not eq2x.
Unread 11-20-2011, 03:23 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

I just did this with eq2x and it worked. To install eq2mqps in eq2x with Win7 (and quite possibly Vista) you have to do two things (well 3 actually if you want to use eq2maps to launch eq2x) I don't use auto launch, I just run the updater from time to time. Anyway to install the maps with Win7 you first have to download eq2maps (of course and install it) I unchecked auto launch (optional). Then first of all click on the eq2map updater icon and click properties, click advanced and make sure run as administrator is checked, then click compatibility and do the same. Now start eq2maps updater and click options, under the first file selector, select browse, click OS, User, public, Sony Online Entertainment, Installed Games, Everquest 2 Extended, and it will then find everquest2.exe, select it and exit. If you want to do autolaunch you will need to do essentially then same thing on the second file select line also. As another person already posted you also need to change your folder/file options to allow you to see all the folders and files as Sony hides some of these folders/files. I always do this as soon as I install a Windows OS so mine was already done before I started, but some people may very well need to do that too.
Hope this helps.
Unread 11-20-2011, 08:11 PM
A Brown Bear

At first I did download the steaming launcher but I switched over to the full install once I realized what I did. So I did have two EQ2 files, EQ2 and EQ2streaming. I just deleted the streaming files. Maybe that will help but I never tried to use the EQ2x downloader.
Unread 01-02-2012, 09:00 PM
A Coastal Crab

Smile Same Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierr View Post
I just did this with eq2x and it worked. To install eq2mqps in eq2x with Win7 (and quite possibly Vista) you have to do two things (well 3 actually if you want to use eq2maps to launch eq2x) I don't use auto launch, I just run the updater from time to time. Anyway to install the maps with Win7 you first have to download eq2maps (of course and install it) I unchecked auto launch (optional). Then first of all click on the eq2map updater icon and click properties, click advanced and make sure run as administrator is checked, then click compatibility and do the same. Now start eq2maps updater and click options, under the first file selector, select browse, click OS, User, public, Sony Online Entertainment, Installed Games, Everquest 2 Extended, and it will then find everquest2.exe, select it and exit. If you want to do autolaunch you will need to do essentially then same thing on the second file select line also. As another person already posted you also need to change your folder/file options to allow you to see all the folders and files as Sony hides some of these folders/files. I always do this as soon as I install a Windows OS so mine was already done before I started, but some people may very well need to do that too.
Hope this helps.
Thank You this worked perfectly . Very easy fix , never thought that it was the x86 causing the conflict !! Thanks again