EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Chit-Chat

Unread 05-06-2011, 12:27 AM
Slayer of clock cycles
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Oasis
Send a message via ICQ to Landiin Send a message via AIM to Landiin Send a message via MSN to Landiin Send a message via Yahoo to Landiin

I'm here until Rothgar leaves!
Unread 05-06-2011, 03:54 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle

I am suffering from everquest 2 withdrawal. Everytime I hear hacker I want to sick my ranger on one.
Unread 05-06-2011, 04:30 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Unrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokpok View Post
I am suffering from everquest 2 withdrawal. Everytime I hear hacker I want to sick my ranger on one.
My wife and I are also suffering something bad. We are playing F2P game Vindictus
Its not EQ2 but its a pretty cool mmorpg for what it is worth.

Its hard to test my UI / play when Sony has the reigns

Draven
Unread 05-06-2011, 04:44 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven_Caine View Post
My wife and I are also suffering something bad. We are playing F2P game Vindictus
Its not EQ2 but its a pretty cool mmorpg for what it is worth.

Its hard to test my UI / play when Sony has the reigns

Draven
Looks kind of cool. Right now I am suffering from withdrawal so bad not even that would placate it.

Also all this crap makes me worry about my plans for my own mmo. Nothing like getting sued because some aholes hacked your system. :-/

mmo engine I want to use.

Sony got it's online clock cleaned by a bunch of fat slob welfare bums from what it looks like. They also took away fun from people who actually work for a living and like to have some well earned and deserved online fun.
Unread 05-06-2011, 06:39 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Send a message via AIM to Drumstix42 Send a message via MSN to Drumstix42 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumstix42

Vindictus is awesome Plenty of awesome methods of implementation and combat. It's much different than your normal "press hotkeys to fight" and your normal auto-attack.

Much more RPG-action based fighting, but it's nice for a short change. I think I'll get bored of it by the time EQ2 comes back up. Plus they're having a free month for the boat tokens. Otherwise, I wouldn't play much past lvl 10
Unread 05-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokpok View Post
Sony got it's online clock cleaned by a bunch of fat slob welfare bums from what it looks like. They also took away fun from people who actually work for a living and like to have some well earned and deserved online fun.
Doubt they are on welfare.... they have millions of credit card numbers right now.
Unread 05-06-2011, 07:24 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumstix42 View Post
Vindictus is awesome Plenty of awesome methods of implementation and combat. It's much different than your normal "press hotkeys to fight" and your normal auto-attack.

Much more RPG-action based fighting, but it's nice for a short change. I think I'll get bored of it by the time EQ2 comes back up. Plus they're having a free month for the boat tokens. Otherwise, I wouldn't play much past lvl 10
My wife and I spent our "together time" at our pc's gaming since that is how we meet. So its a good game "for now" but EQ2 is still first for us.

As for the tokens you can get the boat tokens by running thier version of an instance dungeon, we are lvl 12 or so and we have a small handful of tokens.

My wife and I like to keep a free game as a "back-up" for EQ2 downtimes, We are really watching Guild wars 2, Blade and Soul and the new Star Wars (even though I can aim worth a damn lol)

As for what happened to Sony, i am sure after they fix the issues, EQ2 will be back (EQ2 beta anyone?). Its just a waiting game right now, Hackers are everywhere, not much you can do about it, you can just try and protect yourself as much as possible.

Will Sony lose some players? probably but that those aren't their true key customers if they leave that easy

As for me, I have been in the Everquest world since EQ2's start, so I'll be around for a long time after this is over and forgotten.

Draven
Unread 05-06-2011, 07:49 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
Doubt they are on welfare.... they have millions of credit card numbers right now.
And atleast one me with visions of pitchforks, torches and vats of boiling oil dancing in my head.
Unread 05-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Zerk Ad'Libitum

Server: Runnyeye
Send a message via ICQ to Brorim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumstix42 View Post

I'm playing Mass Effect II .. again ..
Unread 05-07-2011, 02:43 PM
A Sea Turtle

Was doing some reading on a couple of different RSS feeds. Looks like PSN is going to be down longer than expected. I guess this translates into EQ2 will be down longer than expected. Looks like I'm going to have to investigate some of the games mentioned here. Any other suggestions, and they don't have to be limited to Fantasy. Anything that is not too hard on some old arthritic fingers/hands.
Unread 05-07-2011, 03:41 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnewton View Post
Was doing some reading on a couple of different RSS feeds. Looks like PSN is going to be down longer than expected. I guess this translates into EQ2 will be down longer than expected. Looks like I'm going to have to investigate some of the games mentioned here. Any other suggestions, and they don't have to be limited to Fantasy. Anything that is not too hard on some old arthritic fingers/hands.
My suggestions:
  • Guild wars - Older game but still rocks in my book.
  • Sacred 2 - Nice international game. New expansion with additional class was released recently.
  • Vindictus - A instance based game, outside world is very limited.
  • Diablo 3 - no release date but the merchandise and pre-orders are out.

There is my short list, hope it helps.
Draven
Unread 05-08-2011, 01:51 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Default any updates

Has anyone heard any updates on when EQ2 might be up.

Sony, we know you are in the middle of a mess BUT keeping your customers at least semi informed would go a long way towards keeping them happy. We understand you can't gush out the 'details' of what you are doing but how about a daily, we are here / there / latest etr is this. Just something to let us know you are still alive eh?

If it takes you a week to get the game backup, we understand, HONESTLY we do, but can you please tell us it will take that long so we know how long we have to actually do things like spend time with the family and stuff

Seriously though,a bit of an update would be nice.

The short grump....
Unread 05-08-2011, 03:26 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascholten View Post

Seriously though,a bit of an update would be nice.

The short grump....
I'd keep my eye on the sony playstation blog. When playstation network goes back up, I would gather that would be the sign that SoE and EQ2 will be back up shortly after or at the same time. I believe the security problems might have been intertwined in that they both had the same vulnerabilities. Just my idea on when it will happen.

Anyhow, anonymous sucks for this I wish they get thanked by bubba in cell block D of terra haut federal prison.

I'd put up a rather tasteless twist on an old OJ joke with anonymous in the prison cell but I am afraid of getting banned.

Just sucks some people have to ruin the escape from reality that most of us use.
Unread 05-08-2011, 03:55 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Server: Nagafen
Send a message via Yahoo to TalTal

http://www.topix.com/forum/business/...MH429AMQ4GH811

This isn't from sony but I have heard this in a few places. I wouldn't bet on this week.

Silat
Unread 05-08-2011, 03:58 PM
A Forest Scavenger

Server: Mistmoore

Here is a link to SOE updates for those too lazy to look for it. If you have a Facebook account you can also whine to your hearts content there.

http://www.facebook.com/SOE
Unread 05-08-2011, 07:19 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

TalTal I looked at that link you provided however Kaspersky had a bit of a fit when hitting it. Just saying is all.

ddaniel thank you for the link, however some of us don't do face book/ myspace or any of that 'sell your soul for a cyber friend garbage'... that's putting it politely.

While those sites are 'nice' and a lot of people use them, a company.. ie Sony would really do better off putting their announcements on THEIR site, rather than through a third party which the rest of their populous may or may not use.

Just to play devils advocate, what about those 'special' people who use myspace, or twitter? They don't get to see the facebook announcement. Or those moguls like me who do not use any of that stuff?

I would really like to see news concerning sony or EQ or whatever coming from the parent company / site, NOT blasted on some blog somewhere else.

This is not aimed at you, and again, thank you for the info, but just a comment in general. Also I understand that a lot of these 'statements' may not be official sony statements... which is all the more reason they (sony) should really be keeping the MILLIONS of people who use their stuff better updated... to kill rumors that may hurt them in the long run..

Thank you

The Dwarf you want to throw off the wharf.
Unread 05-09-2011, 04:34 PM
A Sea Turtle

Unhappy

After reading an article on PC World today, I'm really depressed. They were saying that the PSN might be down for six(6) more weeks. Since PSN seems to be their first priority, I guess it'll be even longer for SOE.

Checking the site that the station launcher shows and then looking at recent updates, the most recent is 4 May. Not very recent. It'd be real nice to hear something from Sony on projected dates.

John
Unread 05-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Server: Crushbone

I would expect SOE services to come back before PSN. All their SOE stuff is (for the most part) subscription based. IE 200k people at $15/mo on average (those are lowball numbers for sure) is basically $100k/day in lost revenue. I'd imagine the actual losses are much greater (more # of people at higher amt per month, plus microtransactions plus losses due to people moving away from the game).

PSN meantime is fundamentally a "free" service. Yeah it has a subscription option and the store there is another source of revenue but my guess is that it doesn't quite match up to the numbers generated by SOE.

Everything I read talks about when PSN will be back up, while when it comes to SOE services all they're giving is a day-by-day basically. That also (to me) points to SOE stuff coming up first.
Unread 05-09-2011, 04:49 PM
A Sea Turtle

Man, I sure hope you are right. Six weeks is one hell of a long time. Since I don't do any sort of console game, I'm not really up on what all PSN provides. I see a lot of news on several of the feeds I get, all for PSN and occasionally a side mention on SOE.

Just took a look at the SOE FB and man there are a bunch of whiners over there.

Oh well, back to mahjong.

John
Unread 05-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Server: Oasis
Send a message via ICQ to Landiin Send a message via AIM to Landiin Send a message via MSN to Landiin Send a message via Yahoo to Landiin

They was planning on bring PSN up before SOE last time I don't know why that would change. All the macro transition that happens over PSN across all the services that is on PSN I would wager it brings just as much if not more then their MMO's. Added to the fact they value PS users more and rightfully so.
Unread 05-09-2011, 10:17 PM
A Griffon

Server: Lucan DLere

well, Im to the point where Ive got to find something to play. I cant stand most F2P's Ive tried. SoE better hurry......Im [----] close to resubing to WoW!
Attached Images

Unread 05-10-2011, 07:56 AM
A Grove Wisp

Default website down

Maybe the crew at eq2 are taking this time to perfect the next GU. And maybe the web group can fix eq2players.
Yeah, trying to find the bright side here.
Unread 05-11-2011, 04:39 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Guk
Default EQ2 downtime

I just recently returned to EQ2 after a 2 year absence. During that time I played WOW, and have played Rift. Both games have their merits, but WOW has been plagued with hackers, and Rift isnt really my sort of game. EQ2 is home for me. I downloaded and subscribed just 3 days before the game went down. Just enough time to remember why I always loved playing the game. I will wait patiently...ok...well, not patiently, for the day when I can click the icon and be back in the game. Until that time, I will be hanging out here with you guys and gals.
Unread 05-11-2011, 09:52 AM
A Sea Turtle

I was just reading an e-newsletter from Maximum PC,a magazine I subscribe to, and at the end of an article about the PSN/SOE outage was this piece:

In related news, Sony President Kaz Hirai sent a letter to Connecticut Senator Richard Blumenthal containing previously undisclosed details about the attack. According to the letter, the systems used to break into Sony's network used 130 servers and 50 distinct software programs, using "very sophisticated and aggressive techniques to obtain unauthorized access to the servers and hide their presence from the system administrators."

Sure looks like organized crime to me. That is one hell of a lot of effort.

New article: Not only is Sony sure is having a hard time of it but so ar the developers. http://www.pcworld.com/article/22759...nl_dnx_t_crawl

Last edited by jnewton : 05-11-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Added new article
Unread 05-11-2011, 04:11 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Default organized?

Any crime, technically, if two or more collaborate on it, can be considered 'organized'. A few folks get together, get a game plan going, and infect the unsuspecting with bots and stuff to do the legwork on their computers, and pump it through a few central computers to control it and voila.

I am just interested in the motive. I mean why, if it's a bunch of typical gamer dweebs getting their jollies off I believe we would have heard them claim victory long ago on how 'l33t' they are. It doesn't sound like extortion, we have not heard of any ransom, or if there is one they are keeping it very quiet. People disgruntled with the game and wanting to 'get even?' Again, you would expect the tail end of the tantrum and typical 'bow down to me' mentality those type generally exhibit.

It just seems odd that something of this magnitude and nobody is stepping up to the plate yet, not even the posers, unless they realize they really stepped on a steaming turd this time and are running scared.

Run silent and run deep you!!

..grumpy