EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > XML Modification Help & Info

Unread 03-09-2005, 03:32 AM
A Coastal Crab

Default Yee Olde Parchment - In Game Notepad Issues

Well, because of the extended downtimes I was bored today so i figured I'd try messing with the UI other then small minor changes to existing mods. Since the Broker window cant be used anywhere anymore, I figured it would be ncie to have somewhere to jot down merchant names without using Post-It's 5 times a day, that and people seem to be asking for it on the eq2 forums and I was curious why no one had tried yet. (that I know of)

Anyways, I tried it in 2 different ways, both have issues, unfortunately my preffered version as bigger issues.

*******Version A*******

This is the second (compomise) version I made. It adds a tab to the quest journal where you can jot down notes. they save (automatically i might add) when you close the window, and should last until you log off. (No, there is no way to save it past logging off that I know of)

Issues
- probably a simple one. I set AbsorbsInput and a few others to true, but as you type and hit the WASD keys, your character moves around somewhat (though not smoothly). This was a copy and paste from the bug window, and it didnt exhibit this behavior while in that window. How can I completely block input from reaching the movement controls?

Attachment: eq2ui_journals_quest.xml

*******Version B*******

This is my first attempt, and I still like it better, but it also has a few more annoying issues. This version is a custom window, type in the notes you want, open and close it at will, resizable unlike the journal, and as part of mainhud it had an added bonus. I store the notes on the Startbutton tooltip when the window is closed, which means you can close the window, then just mouseover the startbutton to check your notes quick, no window opening no clicking. (use /show_window mainhud.Notes until I make a button somewhere)

Issues
- As above, despite being set to AbsorbsInput, it doesnt completely block the input, causing your character to shift around while typing.
- As I saw mentioned by somone briefly, the event triggeres dont seem to work on my custom window. OnShow, OnHide, even OnChange on the textbox seem to do nothing. The only events I can get to do anythign are OnPress for buttons. I've tried a variety or things ive seen around the board, putting the command twice, etc, but nothing seems to work. This means I cant get the text to load and save when the window opens and closes, or when the textbox changes, without having a Save and Load button.

(and yes, when I was posting this I realized the buttons dont resize properly, I'll fix that if/when it seems like this is going somewhere )

Attachment: eq2ui_mainhud_notes.xml eq2ui_mainhud.xml (just an include line)

Any help would be appreciated, the first problem seems easily fixed, the second (unless theres a workaround) seems more like a limitation on their end. Anyways, is this mod even useful at all, would people be interested in further tweaks?

Disclaimer & Credits: This stuff is still a bit messy, theres probably mislabelled tooltips and such, I never went though cleaning up that stuff yet, and credit goes to Dogvomit (I think) for the journal window mod, I built the tab version from that journal window.

--
Narius Elilas
44th Erudite Paladin
Riders of the Apocalypse
Najena
Attached Files
File Type: xml eq2ui_journals_quest.xml (26.7 KB, 348 views)
File Type: xml eq2ui_mainhud.xml (2.5 KB, 324 views)
File Type: xml eq2ui_mainhud_notes.xml (4.4 KB, 340 views)
Unread 03-12-2005, 03:19 AM
A Brown Bear

Server: Everfrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathus
- As I saw mentioned by somone briefly, the event triggeres dont seem to work on my custom window. OnShow, OnHide, even OnChange on the textbox seem to do nothing. The only events I can get to do anythign are OnPress for buttons. I've tried a variety or things ive seen around the board, putting the command twice, etc, but nothing seems to work. This means I cant get the text to load and save when the window opens and closes, or when the textbox changes, without having a Save and Load button.
the only way I can think of getting rid of the save and load notes buttons is to put a onpress event to laod the notes when teh user press's the key to open up the notepad so to speak. to loose the close notes button would be to put a onpress event to save and close the page when the user closes the notepad. that way the notes load and save whenever the user opens or closes the notepad. this should be feasable though I am not sure I am fairly new to "SOE's" brand of xml