EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > UI Developer Discussion

Unread 05-26-2007, 07:12 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Question Is there an API for 3rd party code

Hiya all,

Sorry for the n00b question, but I've tried searching for this info and cannot find it anywhere. Basically, at a glance, it looks like UI mods are achieved by tweaking and adding to the XML config files that define window placement, etc. What I am wondering is whether there is a full API that would allow an external 3rd party application (such as a parser) to feed dynamic data directly into a widget on a custom in-game window.

I've been away from the game for 6+ months, and my memory of parsers when I played before was that they put the parse data onto the clipboard, which was then pasted into a chat channel. It would be much nicer to be able to present the data directly in a custom window, if the parser could somehow feed data in.

If anyone can confirm whether this is possible, and maybe provide a link to a basic tutorial on how to get started, I'd be very much appreciative. Ideally I'd like to work in C# for the parser, but could use Visual Basic or any other programming language if necessary.

Thanks in advance,

Atlay
Unread 05-26-2007, 08:52 AM
A Griffon
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Lucan DLere

No, any program that interacts with the game client would be breaking the EULA.

The ACT parser is really popular and you can use it in windowed mode or maybe with a program like Game Overlay in full screen mode.
Unread 05-26-2007, 09:09 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle

Ok, thanks for the info. I certainly dont want to break any EULA.

I already have the bones of a parser developed, but seeing the Map UI required the .Net framework installed made me wonder if there were officially sanctioned API hooks to talk to. I guess that mod just uses .Net for the map updater part.

I'll stick to making my parser run in a window, and possibly see how it works on my old laptop sat next to the gaming PC.

Thanks again.

Atlay
Unread 05-26-2007, 09:26 AM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Unrest

Note that if all you want is parser data in-game, you can do it the way the ACT parser does it: generate an HTML page (in a file on disc or uploaded to a server) and use the in-game browser to display that page. Some appropriate meta-refresh information will make the browser refresh the page automatically. I don't think you can have more than one browser window open at a time, but ProfitUI and several others add multiple tabs to the browser and a Minimize function that lets you "close" the window and have it re-open with all contents intact.