EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > ProfitUI

Unread 07-05-2008, 05:35 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Mistmoore

Telling me i am missing write permission...even though I am the only admin on my pc. cant right click and run as admin because i am on xp...any fix for this?
Unread 07-05-2008, 06:13 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle

Downloaded new profit updater and worked fine til today.
went to update and got the following in details of being unable to load.

CouldNotLoadArgumentException[ Could not load file/URL specified: C:\Documents and Settings\Claire\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\26\59901d5a-4728a2eb]
at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Under wraped exceptions:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Documents and Settings\Claire\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\26\59901d5a-4728a2eb (The system cannot find the file specified)
at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescriptor(Unknown Source)

Not sure what to do. Do I uninstall and reinstall? I will try that, but hopefully there will be more info soon. I love this UI.
Unread 07-05-2008, 06:23 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Ok did a complete uninstall and then reinstalled and now it is working.
Unread 07-05-2008, 07:38 PM
A Griffawn
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Permafrost

Right click the shortcut and go to properties and check the box that says Run as Administrator.

Also, you get the can't write error if EverQuest2.exe is locked for whatever reason (IE you're in game), even if you enable run as administrator on the shortcut (I do this in the shortcut Properties idk how everyone else does it)

In Vista, even if you are an administrator, You really aren't because of the annoyance known as UAC

Just do yourself a favor and make sure you are not running EQ2 while trying to run the updater, set your shortcut to Run as administrator, and once again, don't run the updater while you're playing EQ2
Unread 07-05-2008, 08:28 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

The new updater link is set to open C:\WINDOWS\System32\javaws.exe "C:\Users\Theif\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\26\59901d5a-1c10917b"

I can make the shortcut run as administrator but i can't touch the exe without freaking out java itself. I am on vista with UAC turned off. I even opend the permissions on the eq2 folders for all users just incase it was an issue there. Any ideas?
Unread 07-05-2008, 08:29 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Unrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by xndienx View Post
Right click the shortcut and go to properties and check the box that says Run as Administrator.

Also, you get the can't write error if EverQuest2.exe is locked for whatever reason (IE you're in game), even if you enable run as administrator on the shortcut (I do this in the shortcut Properties idk how everyone else does it)

In Vista, even if you are an administrator, You really aren't because of the annoyance known as UAC

Just do yourself a favor and make sure you are not running EQ2 while trying to run the updater, set your shortcut to Run as administrator, and once again, don't run the updater while you're playing EQ2
I made sure I was not running EQ2, I am admin using Vista with UAC turned off, and I still can't get this working. I tried to check the box to run as admin, but it's greyed out and not letting me do it. =(

I have the latest Java, I've done at least 5 fresh installs, and I'm not really sure what else to do. Anyone have any other fixes that might work? I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!
Unread 07-05-2008, 08:37 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldran View Post
try to break it (not the webserver! :P )
YAY GO ME! I have no idea what any of this means, BUT...

JNLPException
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareLaunchFile(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareToLaunch(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.launch(Unknown Source)

EDIT: I installed java and it worked :P (thought it was up to date but whatever)

Last edited by inusun : 07-05-2008 at 08:43 PM. Reason: i'm silly
Unread 07-06-2008, 04:12 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Hi !

I've got the same error box that a lot of people (apparently).

I launch the .jnlp without problem, it shows me 2 files to update but when I click on the Update button.... "Missing write permissions !! [...]"

More infos :
* I'm Administrator !!
* I'm on Windows XP !!
* There's no "Execute As..." on a .jnlp file. But if I use "javaws.exe" with "Execute As administrator" enabled, i've got the same error !
* I've the latest jdk/jre installed !
* All users have "Total Control" on the EQ2 folder
* My EQ2 is not running at all !

Any answers ??

I will try the manual update since the updater was Fixed (i hope soon !!)

Have a good day !
Unread 07-06-2008, 04:21 AM
A Darkpaw Brute

Quote:

Again an error with dns resolving. Nothing I can fix though....
If you previously modded your hosts file to make it work, maybe try to revert that change.
It may not be. I had installed the new updater while the old one was installed and when I woke up this morning and ran the updater, I got the unknown host error also and I don't have an active host file. I do however use OpenDNS, but don't have an account there, so I thought it probably isn't a dns issue there. So, I went to uninstall the updater and it said it couldn't, so I removed it from the uninstall list. I then opened the short cut and copy/pasted the path to the install, went up the Java cache and deleted all the Java cache, just to be sure I got anything left hanging over. This worked.. the updater runs fine now.
Unread 07-06-2008, 04:46 AM
(^\. ./^)
Premium Member

Server: Splitpaw

For all of you that are getting Errors...Update your Java. It doesn't matter if you think it is up to date, update it anyway. Don't post here saying it doesn't work unless you have downloaded and installed Java in the last 5 minutes. Even if it is the same version, a redownloaded and install makes most things work.

For those wanting to have the map updater run profit, here you go......

In the EQ2Map updater, you can do it like this to run the Profit updater

Path to EQ2 C:\Windows\System32\javaws.exe
Parameters for EQ2 "C:\games\eq2\ui\ProfitUI\ProfitUpdator\ProfitUIRebornUpdater.jnlp"

or whereever you put the jnlp file. You can put the POIfinder updater in the launch program bit.

Then you can get Profit Updater to load EQ2...woot

Unread 07-06-2008, 07:12 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narzoo View Post
For all of you that are getting Errors...Update your Java. It doesn't matter if you think it is up to date, update it anyway. Don't post here saying it doesn't work unless you have downloaded and installed Java in the last 5 minutes. Even if it is the same version, a redownloaded and install makes most things work.
I've just updated my jdk/jre (there's about one hour) so it's absolutly not the solution for the "Write permission" bug !!
Unread 07-06-2008, 07:24 AM
A Griffon

Quote:

For those wanting to have the map updater run profit, here you go......

Parameters for EQ2 "C:\games\eq2\ui\ProfitUI\ProfitUpdator\ProfitUIRebornUpdater.jnlp"

or whereever you put the jnlp file. You can put the POIfinder updater in the launch program bit.

Then you can get Profit Updater to load EQ2...woot
Working like a charm, redl Java and it was working first time, thanks a lot Narzoo
Unread 07-06-2008, 07:56 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Good point Narzoo, no idea why I didn't think of that, lol!
Unread 07-06-2008, 09:25 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadane View Post
I've just updated my jdk/jre (there's about one hour) so it's absolutly not the solution for the "Write permission" bug !!
same here, redownloaded java, java tells me its already up to date, reinstalled anyway, still write permission error. I can't make it more of an admin then it is.
Unread 07-06-2008, 09:47 AM
A Griffon

Server: Valor

I am currently trying to reproduce that bug or find anything else that could trigger that message. The updater actually tries to rename your EverQuest2.exe (in EverQuest2.exe ). This is the only valid way I can think of to check if you are allowed to write to a directory with Vistas virtualization enabled. Maybe just try to rename that file and see if it works at all. Or maybe there is not even an everquest2.exe. Don't know actually if a test server installation has it.

Java needs to be at least Version 6 update 5 to run this because of some bugs in earlier versions. Webstart automatically checks if your version is good to run the updater. This does not work with Vista, giving you some cryptic error messages. Sun is aware of that though.

Quote:

I am not sure if you should do that, have to think about it for a moment. Also you shouldn't run it directly from its cache directory as this can change with any update.
Best solution would be running the eq2map updater after the profitui updater. Theres an option for that somewhere :P

BTW
Quote:
I've got the same error box that a lot of people (apparently).
Watching the webserver its actually a small number of people having problems at all, so its not quite easy to track down....

Last edited by Kaldran : 07-06-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Unread 07-06-2008, 09:49 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Unhappy

"Missing write permissions"
All permissions set , running as Administrator

This updater is "not working"
Unread 07-06-2008, 12:41 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Mistmoore

Quote:

Fail, most poeple arent moron's and actually try out stuff. My updater worked perfect till this came out and now it is broken...for me at least.
Unread 07-06-2008, 01:07 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
I am currently trying to reproduce that bug or find anything else that could trigger that message. The updater actually tries to rename your EverQuest2.exe (in EverQuest2.exe ). This is the only valid way I can think of to check if you are allowed to write to a directory with Vistas virtualization enabled. Maybe just try to rename that file and see if it works at all. Or maybe there is not even an everquest2.exe. Don't know actually if a test server installation has it.
I can rename the Everquest2.exe file with no security prompts but the updater still gives write permission error.
Unread 07-06-2008, 01:35 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Unrest

I verified my Java, and I'm using the most current one. Weird thing is, I ran the update anyway (not as admin, since I don't have that option) and it's suddenly working now. I don't know what did it, since I haven't done anything new, but I'm glad it's working now! =)
Unread 07-06-2008, 01:43 PM
A Griffon

I just pushed out an update which might make things work again, if it does, I won't tell you what it was :P

Please notice that updating is transparent now, just run it again.

It's no problem if EQ2 is running while updating ProfitUI, should work though.

Last edited by Kaldran : 07-06-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Unread 07-06-2008, 01:47 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
I just pushed out an update which might make things work again, if it does, I won't tell you what it was :P
Haha, it's always something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtisHarper View Post
Fail, most poeple arent moron's and actually try out stuff.
You obviously have never done support work on an Internet forum.

Last edited by gm9 : 07-06-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Unread 07-06-2008, 02:14 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Yeah !

This new version of the updater works fine ! I've no more "Write Permission" error at all

It's a great job Kaldran !!

Thx

PS : Just an idea : If you try to rename everquest2.exe into everquest2.exe window$ may throw an exception because everquest2.exe already exists (it's just a suposition ^^)

Last edited by Galadane : 07-06-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Unread 07-06-2008, 02:45 PM
(^\. ./^)
Premium Member

Quote:
I am not sure if you should do that, have to think about it for a moment. Also you shouldn't run it directly from its cache directory as this can change with any update.
Seems to run fine. The desktop icon that I get when I install it links to the cache directory, so putting the jnlp file somewhere and running it from there seemed the best way for me. I hadn't slept much when I did that, so I'll take a look tho.

Quote:
Best solution would be running the eq2map updater after the profitui updater. Theres an option for that somewhere :P
There isn't. You have the textbox disabled so you can only have everquest2.exe and eq2.exe

Unread 07-06-2008, 02:58 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Ok, so I fixxed mine. I had to open up security permissions for the everquest folder and sub directorys, uninstall propit updater, restart the machine, and reinstall the updater. Hope this helps.
Unread 07-06-2008, 03:02 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
There isn't. You have the textbox disabled so you can only have everquest2.exe and eq2.exe
You may want to look just a little bit more right of that textbox where it says 'choose' :P